How do you actually pick a bike?

Silentbob83

Haven’t posted much ( a casual).....anyway having just got my full licence- during the 10 days between lockdown 2 and going into tier 4! I now face the decision of what to get next (currently still riding the cbf125). I never thought this decision would be so hard, there is a lot of options at every price bracket.... how did you lot decide on the first big bike? 

4 minutes ago, Silentbob83 said:

Haven’t posted much ( a casual).....anyway having just got my full licence- during the 10 days between lockdown 2 and going into tier 4! I now face the decision of what to get next (currently still riding the cbf125). I never thought this decision would be so hard, there is a lot of options at every price bracket.... how did you lot decide on the first big bike? 

looks and positive reviews go a long way plus having a decent road test yourself 

I bought what I’d been learning to ride. It’s taken me a couple of years and a few bikes to work out what I want/need. 

i just learnt to ride for a laugh I had no need for a bike but I’ve found that I like to go on long trips, camping or all day rides rather than short blasts. 

• Like 1

Budget?

New or used?

What style of bike do you prefer?

What are you going to use it for?

Are you going to take a pillion?

Long distances/Touring?

Do you plan on doing any offroading?

The important thing is buying a bike that suits your needs.......and only you know what they are.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Budget?

New or used?

What style of bike do you prefer?

What are you going to use it for?

Are you going to take a pillion?

Long distances/Touring?

Do you plan on doing any offroading?

The important thing is buying a bike that suits your needs.......and only you know what they are.

I feel like I have gone through all of those and still none the wiser.....  I always looked at custom bobbers, but after borrowing an AJS custom bobber, I didn’t gel with it. Might have been because it was still a 125, and or an unreliable Chinese bike.

Originally a a nice day, couple of hours type of bike, but now I’ll probably use it to go to the office when we get let back in.

Im a bit like the comment above I decided to learn to ride for fun, after years of putting it off (probably more down to the fear of not being able to tbh). 

It will be used all the way, 3.5k ish and there is loads out there in all styles.....and I’m starting to feel like it doesn’t really matter as they will be fun.

I learnt on a Cb500f for the first day and then the rest on an sv650. Both of which before hand I wouldn’t have looked at as they weren’t my taste, but they both put a smile on my face.

They place I got my cbf 125 from has a Cb500f that is in budget and he has already said he is happy to buy back the 125... however In my head I am definitely going to go and look (which usually means purchase) , when all of a sudden I wake up the next day and see something else, like an XJ6, or a 600 fazer.

Ive never been this indecisive before...driving me crazy! I can now see why many of you have a number of bikes at any one time.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I just buy bike I like or suits my needs at the time and never failed! 

Its hard to say if a bike will suit you until you get on and ride it for a few days at least 

I don’t know if it is universal, but the 3 out of four places by me have no test ride unless you have held your licence for a year, and one place minimum 2 years

1 minute ago, Silentbob83 said:

I feel like I have gone through all of those and still none the wiser.....  I always looked at custom bobbers, but after borrowing an AJS custom bobber, I didn’t gel with it. Might have been because it was still a 125, and or an unreliable Chinese bike.

Originally a a nice day, couple of hours type of bike, but now I’ll probably use it to go to the office when we get let back in.

Im a bit like the comment above I decided to learn to ride for fun, after years of putting it off (probably more down to the fear of not being able to tbh). 

It will be used all the way, 3.5k ish and there is loads out there in all styles.....and I’m starting to feel like it doesn’t really matter as they will be fun.

I learnt on a Cb500f for the first day and then the rest on an sv650. Both of which before hand I wouldn’t have looked at as they weren’t my taste, but they both put a smile on my face.

They place I got my cbf 125 from has a Cb500f that is in budget and he has already said he is happy to buy back the 125... however In my head I am definitely going to go and look (which usually means purchase) , when all of a sudden I wake up the next day and see something else, like an XJ6, or a 600 fazer.

Ive never been this indecisive before...driving me crazy! I can now see why many of you have a number of bikes at any one time.

Think about a 650 Strom......great bike and can turn it's hand to most things!

22 minutes ago, Silentbob83 said:

i see that you are a bit of a woffler just like me when itmes to buying vehicles :classic_laugh: im exactly the same 

Edited by skyrider
  • Haha 1

I don’t know if it is universal, but the 3 out of four places by me have no test ride unless you have held your licence for a year, and one place minimum 2 years

A lot of places are like that and theres not many places that let you out for more than an hour 

The point I am making just to make things harder is that you can take everything in to consideration and read all the reviews and buy the "best" bike for your needs 

But you may not gel with the bike or actually like the way it rides/feels! 

Its a minefield out there and the only way to figure it out is to buy the bike and see how you get on 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stu said:

A lot of places are like that and theres not many places that let you out for more than an hour 

The point I am making just to make things harder is that you can take everything in to consideration and read all the reviews and buy the "best" bike for your needs 

Its a minefield out there and the only way to figure it out is to buy the bike and see how you get on 

i once had a 550 zephyr took it for a ride for an hour and put it up for sale when i got back it just wasn't for me 

I've been an Honda guy since my first bike and have no intentions to bulge from it.

The first bike I had was an Africa Twin, superb bike for learning, very forgiving and teaches you hoe to use the brakes adequately.

Then I had 2 VFR800. Really fun to ride, fast, comfortable for a sport tourer.

When I past the speedy Gonzales stage I went for a Pan European, heavy when you need to move it by hand but in my opinion, one of the best for long touring trips.

Because I want to use the bike for commute when the weather allows I got myself a Shadow 700, light good for trips around 100 miles, still good speed and handling.

All this to tell you that greatly depends on what you will be using it for.

Other things to consider is if you want to ad the advantage of fairings for wind protection or not.

I would start with the budget first and see what are the choices available.

then see what you really want it for and go from there.

Edit: I have now the Pan and the Shadow together :) 

Edited by husoi
  • Like 1

Just now, Stu said:

Exactly!

Back around 2003/4 I thought the TDM900 was exactly right for me!

Turns out I hated it.......the way it handled just didn't fit with the way I ride. The front end just felt very vague and it seemed to have the tendency to keep drifting wide on bends.......for me!

Not that it handled badly......it may have been perfect for others.....but for me it was all wrong. Sold it after two weeks!

7 minutes ago, skyrider said:

i see that you are a bit of a woffler just like when it comes to buying vehicles :classic_laugh: im exactly the same 

Pretty much spot on!

I don’t usually get to buy something for myself...kids seems spend it all first. So when the time comes, It takes me ages to pull the trigger.

17 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Think about a 650 Strom......great bike and can turn it's hand to most things!

They have been on the radar also....I’m a bit of a short arse,5ft7 with short inside leg (insert joke here?). I can’t even flat foot the 125 completely.

12 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Exactly!

Back around 2003/4 I thought the TDM900 was exactly right for me!

Turns out I hated it.......the way it handled just didn't fit with the way I ride. The front end just felt very vague and it seemed to have the tendency to keep drifting wide on bends.......for me!

Not that it handled badly......it may have been perfect for others.....but for me it was all wrong. Sold it after two weeks!

i sold my 550 zephyr after an hours ride out 

• Like 1

Just now, Silentbob83 said:

They have been on the radar also....I’m a bit of a short arse,5ft7 with short inside leg (insert joke here?). I can’t even flat foot the 125 completely.

Strom's are not particularly tall compared to some of the Adv Bikes.

But if a low seat height would be better for you then think about what I've got......G650GS.

Not sure how low it is......but it's way below anything else in that group......think they wanted to cater to shorter riders/women possibly.

gs79.jpg.f98787a1355e10884be02f8a2cea0d94.jpg

i have the same trouble

Just now, XTreme said:

But if a low seat height would be better for you then think about what I've got......G650GS.

Not sure how low it is......but it's way below anything else in that group......think they wanted to cater to shorter riders/women possibly.

gs79.jpg.f98787a1355e10884be02f8a2cea0d94.jpg

stop putting those photo's up XT they are not doing me any good :classic_unsure:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

Not sure how low it is......but it's way below anything else in that group......think they wanted to cater to shorter riders/women possibly

BMW isnt something I’ve looked at yet....might have to have a scout around. Cheers

• Like 1

Its a great aid to confidence, especially with a new and unfamiliar bike if you can flat foot it at a standstill. The huge increase in weight can easily catch you off guard. When buying second hand, try to look forward and consider if any extras/accessories are important, or may be important in the future. These may come included or may help sway the decision in one direction or another.

A bike Ive owned and have always thought is an ideal 'first' for all sorts of reasons is the F800 series. The F800S or F800ST.  These now fall within your budget and come with some very nice extras like ABS. Belt drive. underseat fuel tank, for a low, confidence inspiring centre of gravity. Great as commuters and can tour. in both cases there are 3 seats available. low, standard and high.

bmw-f800-st--parallel-universal.jpg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Its a great aid to confidence, especially with a new and unfamiliar bike if you can flat foot it at a standstill. The huge increase in weight can easily catch you off guard. 

Yes, that got me on my second day on DAS. I thought the CB500 was nice and light, compared to the sv650- which felt a lot bigger. Once they bot( got going the weight wasn’t a problem, but I did notice it every time I came to a stop. As well as being short I’m 67kg soaking wet.