Capital Punishment

MarkW

If you guys actually watched the George Carlin clip I posted......you'd see him make the point that the death penalty is only a deterrent to those who are frightened to die!

Just watch this little snippet and think about it.......

1 hour ago, Bender said:

Your not getting it though are you, in my case or rather his, there is no mistake, there is no grey area he has since put 5 prison officers in hospital, he is beyond help, there is no hidden evidence there is no foul play, there is no one else involved, he admitted both murders, why should people continue to suffer because if him, he will kill again.

i get it Bender , there are loads like him in prison who should be dead.

51 minutes ago, XTreme said:

If you guys actually watched the George Carlin clip I posted......you'd see him make the point that the death penalty is only a deterrent to those who are frightened to die!

Just watch this little snippet and think about it.......

so we can kill bankers then .

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

You’re saying in this  particular case theres no mistake and he would deserve it but your not acknowledging the change in the law to allow this ‘deserving’ persons murder would then lead to innocent people being hanged. 
Sometimes people’s views are emotionally compromised by what they’ve seen or been involved in. You have to put that to one side and look a step further at what the consequences of you having your way on one case would have on everything that came after. That would without doubt be innocent people being hanged. So my question remains. Do you think innocent people being hanged is acceptable collateral?

This is the bit the pro-death penalty mob always go quiet on: the fact that capital punishment only comes at the end of a judicial process that is every bit as susceptible to errors and miscarriages as any other, and that the price you pay for a bit of caveman retribution is that sooner or later you inevitabaly end up punishing the innocent. It's the exact inverse of Blackstone's Formulation: as long as no guilty man escapes the noose then to hell with the occasional innocent victim.

😄

7 minutes ago, MarkW said:

This is the bit the pro-death penalty mob always go quiet on: the fact that capital punishment only comes at the end of a judicial process that is every bit as susceptible to errors and miscarriages as any other, and that the price you pay for a bit of caveman retribution is that sooner or later you inevitabaly end up punishing the innocent. It's the exact inverse of Blackstone's Formulation: as long as no guilty man escapes the noose then to hell with the occasional innocent victim.

😄

I'm not quiet on it, I'm happy to allow it and for the judiciary to set the bar for it as high as you like. Im not bothered about it being a deterrent, Anders Behring Breivik, admittedly not in our jurisdiction, murder of Lee rugby, there are cases beyond doubt where folk don't deserve oxygen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bender said:

I'm not quiet on it, I'm happy to allow it and for the judiciary to set the bar for it as high as you like. Im not bothered about it being a deterrent, Anders Behring Breivik, admittedly not in our jurisdiction, murder of Lee rugby, there are cases beyond doubt where folk don't deserve oxygen.

I know what you're saying, but the state-sanctioned killing of Lee Rigby's murderers raises a different danger altogether. On top of which, rotting in obscurity is far more of a punishment for a pair who wanted martyrdom.

8 minutes ago, MarkW said:

I know what you're saying, but the state-sanctioned killing of Lee Rigby's murderers raises a different danger altogether. On top of which, rotting in obscurity is far more of a punishment for a pair who wanted martyrdom.

I'm happy for them to live at the bottom of a muddy hole for the remainder of their lives, it has to be open to the elements and be dug in Iceland, be 200ft deep with no toilet, there I've compromised 👍 

I find it difficult to comprehend how no matter how small you break the components down into, no matter how simple you make the steps to follow people who are pro death penalty will just cover their eyes and refuse to answer the questions in order maintain a stance they can’t defend. I suppose they’re hard wired to their emotions and to hell with the consequences. 

If we have the death penalty will there be mistakes that mean innocent people will be murdered?

Do you think that is worth it? 

9 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

If we have the death penalty will there be mistakes that mean innocent people will be murdered?

Do you think that is worth it? 

Timothy Evans. Hung 1950 He had the vocabulary of a 14yr old and the mental age of a 10yr old

In January 2003, the Home Office awarded Timothy Evans's half-sister, Mary Westlake, and his sister, Eileen Ashby, ex gratia payments as compensation for the miscarriage of justice in Evans's trial. The independent assessor for the Home Office, Lord Brennan QC, accepted that "the conviction and execution of Timothy Evans for the murder of his child was wrongful and a miscarriage of justice" and that "there is no evidence to implicate Timothy Evans in the murder of his wife.

Timothy_Evans_Grave.JPG.da426c12898f28b55e98c0c6313987fd.JPG

• Sad 1

Slight side note @Bender your jury service crim hasn’t been effectively managed if he’s injured 5 guards. Broadmoor ‘Hospital’ is still quite recognisable as the ‘Criminal Lunatic Asylum’ it started as. They used to find it amusing to send student nurses there from Brookwood (which was the lower level psychiatric hospital) for a bit of an eye opener, I suppose to knock off some of the syrupy sweetness and idealism but officially it was so you could see the way people were graded and get an overview of all psychiatric treatment.

It is a truly frightening place. The incurably unpredictably violent are medicated. Medicated to a level they aren’t going to hurt anyone. Which you can do against someone’s will if necessary once sectioned. Your man just needs the stronger meds. 

18 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Timothy Evans. Hung 1950 He had the vocabulary of a 14yr old and the mental age of a 10yr old

In January 2003, the Home Office awarded Timothy Evans's half-sister, Mary Westlake, and his sister, Eileen Ashby, ex gratia payments as compensation for the miscarriage of justice in Evans's trial. The independent assessor for the Home Office, Lord Brennan QC, accepted that "the conviction and execution of Timothy Evans for the murder of his child was wrongful and a miscarriage of justice" and that "there is no evidence to implicate Timothy Evans in the murder of his wife.

You can fetch out as many miscarriages of justice you like carry on 👍 

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Slight side note @Bender your jury service crim hasn’t been effectively managed if he’s injured 5 guards. Broadmoor ‘Hospital’ is still quite recognisable as the ‘Criminal Lunatic Asylum’ it started as. They used to find it amusing to send student nurses there from Brookwood (which was the lower level psychiatric hospital) for a bit of an eye opener, I suppose to knock off some of the syrupy sweetness and idealism but officially it was so you could see the way people were graded and get an overview of all psychiatric treatment.

It is a truly frightening place. The incurably unpredictably violent are medicated. Medicated to a level they aren’t going to hurt anyone. Which you can do against someone’s will if necessary once sectioned. Your man just needs the stronger meds. 

He is very sane, and very big, they say 6ft he's way bigger than that, he dwarfed security, he stabbed his victim so ferocious the knife went through her and 3/4 floor boards, by through I mean shattering her rib cage entering and exiting her and the floor,they couldn’t even explain the amount of blood on the ceiling and walls.

33 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Blimey I knew they’d said he hadn’t done it. I didn’t know his neighbour was a serial killer who later admitted it.

8 minutes ago, Bender said:

He is very sane, and very big, they say 6ft he's way bigger than that, he dwarfed security, he stabbed his victim so ferocious the knife went through her and 3/4 floor boards, by through I mean shattering her rib cage entering and exiting her and the floor,they couldn’t even explain the amount of blood on the ceiling and walls.

Does that sound sane to you? 

This is a good un-

George Kelly was executed in March 1950 for the 1949 murder of the manager of the Cameo Cinema in Liverpool, UK and his assistant during a robbery that went wrong. This case became known as the Cameo Murder. Kelly's conviction was overturned in 2003. Another man, Donald Johnson, had confessed to the crime but the police bungled Johnson's case and had not divulged his confession at Kelly's trial.

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

This is a good un-

George Kelly was executed in March 1950 for the 1949 murder of the manager of the Cameo Cinema in Liverpool, UK and his assistant during a robbery that went wrong. This case became known as the Cameo Murder. Kelly's conviction was overturned in 2003. Another man, Donald Johnson, had confessed to the crime but the police bungled Johnson's case and had not divulged his confession at Kelly's trial.

Bla bla bla, eyes wide open