Just broke my bike, oil everywhere

James in Brum

Personal preference mainly. Originalality. Condition Vs the other one and your current silencers (which you said was fine). Whether you'd feel inclined to notify your insurance jobbos about such a mad mod. Up to you really. Possibly a minor rejetting or fannying with carbs required, but pfft also probably not bother and it'll run ok.

2 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

Here are pictures of the exhaust taken apart to see how the copper gaskets fit.

Amazing. Thank you. I can at least sleep soundly this weekend now. Looks like you could probably do with getting a few more gaskets then for the few quid they cost.

4 hours ago, oldgrump said:

Don't think bent exhaust would snap flanges, have just message my mate in Wales, to see if he can send me photos of his downpipes where they fit the head!

Fitted a hawk system to his ZZR400, couple years ago, but I'm sure that the Gaskets fitted inside head, can't remember them like yours, think the flanges pull up close to head!

You did get Gaskets from Main Kawasaki dealer or from eBay? Maybe they were wrong Gaskets!! if from eBay.

Re the gaskets , that's exactly what I was thinking . Here's a picture of the genuine article and it rather FLAT in cross section as opposed to the round looking ones that James is using . 

Screenshot_20210226-163928.png

Just now, James in Brum said:

I have reflected and decided to buy the four into two that is a straight replacement but not in stainless. My thinking is less risk if there is no variation. 
Is there anything I should do whilst I have it all off and apart?

Check out these gaskets . Do they seem flatter in cross section than the copper ones you are using ? 

1 minute ago, fastbob said:

Re the gaskets , that's exactly what I was thinking . Here's a picture of the genuine article and it rather FLAT in cross section as opposed to the round looking ones that James is using . 

Agree with you there @fastbob and I would add the ones you have shown look a lot more likely to compress down and form a seal whereas the ones @James in Brum has fitted look more likely to expand out into a recess to do the same thing.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

I will buy some more. The ones on Wemoto look exactly like the ones I already have. The rounded ness on the ones I had bought is because the material is folded over on itself to create the three dimensional ring. 
where is that you looked Rob? I googled and came up with a US site but was not confident in the model. 

10 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

I will buy some more. The ones on Wemoto look exactly like the ones I already have. The rounded ness on the ones I had bought is because the material is folded over on itself to create the three dimensional ring. 
where is that you looked Rob? I googled and came up with a US site but was not confident in the model. 

I looked on CMSL and then put the genuine part number into eBay . 110091856 All the pictures suggest that they are semi - round ie they have a flat surface and a curved surface . Might make a difference but you would expect the gasket to partially crush before the clamp snaps . That said I did snap two Kawasaki exhaust clamps on a girlfriend's bike . I think I forgot to mention it because she ( or maybe I ) was on the way out . 

Polish_20210226_165639574.jpg

Edited by fastbob

1 minute ago, rightstuff said:

Them manifolds and gaskets just don't look right  their is something amiss their has no one got a workshop manual 

I get where you're coming from but I've checked and double checked and as far as I can see , the gaskets sit flush on the head and do not push into a recess like you would expect . Dosen't seem right to me either but there it is . 

1 minute ago, rightstuff said:

Them manifolds and gaskets just don't look right  their is something amiss their has no one got a workshop manual 

They re probably correct as it looks as if Kawasaki have put a shoulder on the downpipe to hold the gasket and allow it to flatten against the mating surface of the head whilst the top section of pipe protrudes slightly into the hole.

Admittedly slightly unusual and complex but this is the same company that allowed the ZRX1200 to have an offset of the back wheel from the 1100 to save machining costs and condem us to explaining to MOT inspectors that "No they really are all like that".

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Hi @James in Brum, as @fastbobsaid gaskets look wrong,  Cradley Kawasaki are one of the best to get,  also as Bob said it looks like it my be a common problem with breaking,  here's a picture of my mate's,  and the flanges have been welded.

IMG-20210226-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20210226-WA0002.jpg

And yes Gaskets sit outside Head!! And it was 5 years since I put these pipes on🙁, oops, how time flies!!!

So you could get someone to weld up the flanges, might be cheaper than new exhaust. 

and order new genuine Gaskets from Kawasaki, might be cheaper in long run.

Looking at the latest pictures you took, there isn't any of the nearside. Did the gaskets there get crushed? I

Also, did you replace the studs? (I think you mentioned something about nuts or studs) if so, could they just be a bit short? 

Latest pictures I took the gasket off to take the photos and to show it. 
I am confident in how the gasket works, it is crushed against the outside of the head by the pipes. 
I will buy new gaskets because why not. The pictures of the down pipes against the head are wrong because because the downpipes were unable to marry up to the head because of the bent ness of the pipes. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, smallfrowne said:

Looking at the latest pictures you took, there isn't any of the nearside. Did the gaskets there get crushed? I

Also, did you replace the studs? (I think you mentioned something about nuts or studs) if so, could they just be a bit short? 

No new studs, I was struggling to get the nuts on but identified the cause for that.