Jabs and medic.........

Mickly

4 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Just to offer you some reassurance over a 12 weeks period in 2019 I had multiple imms for

Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B
Rabies
Japanese Encephalitis 
Typhoid
Measles, mumps n rubella 
Diphtheria 
Tetanus 
Polio

and didn’t have a single reaction. 

What? You didn’t wince once??

god you are hard as nails 💪🏽

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I have winced once but it was a steroid injection and he scraped the bone while fishing around in in my AC joint so I forgive myself that one 😂

I squeaked a little when a chest drain bounced of a rib when I had my first Pneumo thorax lol.

Consultant asked if I would be ok with his little Indian trainee do it as I knew what the procedure entailed.

Apparently I was forgiven my racist and threatening outburst lol.

No trainees allowed at the next one lol.

Cheers

Ian

20 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Where do you draw the line? As by that logic, my parents, teachers, mentors, and now boss were/are all controlling me. I had to have certain jabs when I worked abroad. I see the covid vaccine as being no different to getting an MOT to drive on the road in levels of control. Both are done so you aren't a danger to yourself or others. 

It's far from impossible, just difficult. Even so, that wouldn't be a reason not to vaccinate as without vaccination the virus would spread far more, kill more, put more people in hospital, overwhelm the NHS, which would then cause knock on deaths in those waiting for treatment for other things. The accelerated spread would cause more mutations that wouldn't have otherwise existed. Mandatory vaccination would reduce these as the vaccines are showing very promising data, not just in protection, but the cut to transmission. This virus's deadliness isn't the kill rate, it's the ability it has to overwhelm health services, which is why reducing transmission is the best way to fight it. 

In all of your examples you have a choice to walk away. It might not feel like choice but you can ultimately say no. 
The virus would only kill or disable the unvaccinated and I see it as a fundamental right to decide what happens to your body. This isn’t a China or some other tin pot dictatorship. 

Vaccination uptake in this country has never fallen below 70% even for the ageing vulnerable flu vaccine cohort so giving people the freedom to choose whether they are vaccinated is not going to lead to the NHS being overwhelmed by any stretch of the imagination. 

I’m not sure how a “virus’s deadliness isn’t its kill rate.” 
If it didn’t kill or disable then we wouldn’t give a damn about it just like the common cold. 
Unless the whole world is vaccinated at the same time or you permanently close the borders to everyone theres no way of stopping mutations coming in. The spread of the original strain coronavirus demonstrated just that. If everyone’s so worried about mutations then why aren’t we vaccinating anyone under 16years old? The old school germ melting pot is still free to develop mutations. 

An annual jab tweaked to include the latest variants given by consent is the simplest most reasonable solution. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Being catheterised is a smidge worse than a vaccination.  in fact its 'orrible. And then having it in place for a month,, more 'orriblr.

Not as painful or horrible as watching a student yank on a catheter tube to remove it without first deflating the balloon.

I cannot confirm that happened but if it did the scream will forever ring in my ears 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, rennie said:

I will have the Covid jab(s) when I'm contacted.

However! I still have nightmares (almost PTSD) about my experience with jabs in The first Gulf War!

We had a fair few before we went and had to take both malaria and nerve agent pretreatment (NAPS) pills,

these made virtually everyone ill with symptoms ranging from mild gut ache to violent, uncontrollable diarrhoea! 

(most of us stopped taking them after a while because we just couldn't function).

But the bit I get flashbacks about:

1 day we're going about our business in the desert as normal when a fleet of Bedford wagons turn up,

a big list of names is read out and we're told to get on the wagons with respirators and personal weapons only.

We had no idea where we were going or why.

We drove for a good while before arriving at a temporary, tented site in the middle of nowhere.

there were 2 lines of tents with long tables outside the fronts and a pathway between,

each truck pulled up at 1 end, dropped us off then drove round to the other end.

We were ordered to remove our jackets and walk down the path.

As we did medics literally jumped out at us and stuck various needles in both arms!

I had at least 6! probably more.

We then got back on the trucks and got taken back.

To this day I don't know what we were given or why!

any medical records have been conveniently lost!

I didn't really have a problem with needles before! slightly unpleasant but just got on with it.

Now I really don't like the idea at all

My American uncle fought in the Vietnam war. He was a gunner on helicopters until he was bitten by a rat and sent to Japan where the treatment was a series of injections into the stomach, using a needle so large at first, they left four small scar/holes. He died in his early 60s of a really rare and weird form of cancer.

The covid vaccine is a piece of pish! I did not even feel it go in.

• Like 2

This goes back to the first lockdown;

https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/uncategorised/lockdown-stopped-470k-covid-19-deaths-in-uk-say-researchers/

"Lockdown measures have had a ‘large effect’ in controlling the Covid-19 outbreak, leading to 470,000 deaths being avoided in the UK, according to new research.

It comes as the UK death toll from the virus has exceeded 40,000 – more than double the 20,000 deaths that the UK’s chief scientific advisor said in mid-March would be a ‘good outcome’"

On joining the RAF  45 years ago at our initial training we had jabs ....

Line up, stripped to the waist, 16 of us. We walked forward and 2 medics gave us 2 jabs in each arm ... at the last medic you carefully pulled your trousers down to expose your buttocks and a frighteningly pretty medic jabbed your bum.

Hardly assault .... 

And just 12 months later we where flying all around the world ... safely jabbed ...

Just now, Trooper74 said:

On joining the RAF  45 years ago at our initial training we had jabs ....

Line up, stripped to the waist, 16 of us. We walked forward and 2 medics gave us 2 jabs in each arm ... at the last medic you carefully pulled your trousers down to expose your buttocks and a frighteningly pretty medic jabbed your bum.

Hardly assault .... 

And just 12 months later we where flying all around the world ... safely jabbed ...

If you gave even implied consent then technically no assault took place.
In Rennie’s case he couldn’t consent because he didn’t know what he was being injected with. 
It is impossible to sign away your basic human rights no matter who your employer is or what the circumstances are that make people think it’s ok to breach them. So that is assault. 

10 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Not as painful or horrible as watching a student yank on a catheter tube to remove it without first deflating the balloon.

I cannot confirm that happened but if it did the scream will forever ring in my ears 😂

Once upon a time on a mountain far away ... we had a member of our MRT that would slip into his single man tent, insert a catheter and go to sleep ... the line being quite long and outside his tent or basha ...

When we camped on snowfields the Day-Glo  patch outside his tent confirmed his use of TB recovery  drugs ...:classic_smile:

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

If you gave even implied consent then technically no assault took place.
In Rennie’s case he couldn’t consent because he didn’t know what he was being injected with. 
It is impossible to sign away your basic human rights no matter who your employer is or what the circumstances are that make people think it’s ok to breach them. So that is assault. 

Would you like to apply that to the current situation we find ourselves in ...??

19 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

I squeaked a little when a chest drain bounced of a rib when I had my first Pneumo thorax lol.

Consultant asked if I would be ok with his little Indian trainee do it as I knew what the procedure entailed.

Apparently I was forgiven my racist and threatening outburst lol.

No trainees allowed at the next one lol.

Cheers

Ian

I had to have a lumbar puncture a few years ago, the lad in the bed opposite had it 1st & screamed the place down.

They came to me next & asked if the trainee could do it, I asked if he’d done the other guy the boss said “yes, but practice makes perfect”

It was a little uncomfortable and stung quite a bit but I wasn’t going to show any weakness to the gorgeous nurse holding my hand.

22 minutes ago, Mickly said:

I had to have a lumbar puncture a few years ago, the lad in the bed opposite had it 1st & screamed the place down.

They came to me next & asked if the trainee could do it, I asked if he’d done the other guy the boss said “yes, but practice makes perfect”

It was a little uncomfortable and stung quite a bit but I wasn’t going to show any weakness to the gorgeous nurse holding my hand.

Yeh I wouldn’t be putting my name down for one of those. I once had to hold down a 2 year old while we did a lumber puncture on him. It was an experience I will never forget. Some peoples faces are burned into your memory forever. The screaming and mum silently crying while we tortured her little boy is something I’ll never forget. I don’t know if you’ve ever seen a depressed psychologically damaged 2 year old but it’s not good. 

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey

1 hour ago, Throttled said:

My American uncle fought in the Vietnam war. He was a gunner on helicopters until he was bitten by a rat and sent to Japan where the treatment was a series of injections into the stomach, using a needle so large at first, they left four small scar/holes. He died in his early 60s of a really rare and weird form of cancer.

The covid vaccine is a piece of pish! I did not even feel it go in.

The jabs in the stomach would have been a treatment for rabies I guess. A colleague of mine got that for being bitten by a kitten in Mombasa port. As for the weird cancer -Agent Orange? Apparently caused cancers.

34 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yeh I wouldn’t be putting my name down for one of those. I once had to hold down a 2 year old while we did a lumber puncture on him. It was an experience I will never forget. Some peoples faces are burned into your memory forever. The screaming and mum silently crying while we tortured her little boy is something I’ll never forget. I don’t know if you’ve ever seen a depressed psychologically damaged 2 year old but it’s not good. 

The reason my wife stopped working on paediatric cardio-thoracic ICU. Too many wee ones dying while docs experimented.

• Sad 1

Just now, S-Westerly said:

The reason my wife stopped working on paediatric cardio-thoracic ICU. Too many wee ones dying while docs experimented.

Well they weren’t experimenting it just wasn’t considered sensible to give a general anaesthetic for a test. 
Helping with that awfulness got me a job offer because apparently most people can’t hold their nerve when it involves hurting someone, particularly a child. 
I ran a mile. 

5 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

What psychopath experiments children! 

My wife was one of the nurses who set up the Newcastle  Freeman ICU for kids. What got to her were babies born with unsurvivable problems who doctors basically tried things out on. The false hope to the parents was another thing especially as my wife literally cannot lie. 

11 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

My wife was one of the nurses who set up the Newcastle  Freeman ICU for kids. What got to her were babies born with unsurvivable problems who doctors basically tried things out on. The false hope to the parents was another thing especially as my wife literally cannot lie. 

It is heartbreaking but eventually from these experimental techniques genuine treatments are found and perfected. That’s how almost all surgeries have evolved. Could I do it? Nope. Children’s nursing was a step too far for me. I can’t close off my emotions to that level without turning into a psychopath myself so I ran back to adult nursing where strangely enough I can do anything so long as it’s for the patients on good in the long run! 😂

3 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

In all of your examples you have a choice to walk away. It might not feel like choice but you can ultimately say no. 
The virus would only kill or disable the unvaccinated and I see it as a fundamental right to decide what happens to your body. This isn’t a China or some other tin pot dictatorship. 

Vaccination uptake in this country has never fallen below 70% even for the ageing vulnerable flu vaccine cohort so giving people the freedom to choose whether they are vaccinated is not going to lead to the NHS being overwhelmed by any stretch of the imagination. 

I’m not sure how a “virus’s deadliness isn’t its kill rate.” 
If it didn’t kill or disable then we wouldn’t give a damn about it just like the common cold. 
Unless the whole world is vaccinated at the same time or you permanently close the borders to everyone theres no way of stopping mutations coming in. The spread of the original strain coronavirus demonstrated just that. If everyone’s so worried about mutations then why aren’t we vaccinating anyone under 16years old? The old school germ melting pot is still free to develop mutations. 

An annual jab tweaked to include the latest variants given by consent is the simplest most reasonable solution. 

I couldn’t refuse my childhood vaccines, and each other choice would have had bad consequences going against them, so you could say the choices have been rigged so one way is in my self interest. Having one more mandatory vaccine wouldn’t bring us any closer to being like China in my view.

I’ll try and dig it out the article, but as the vaccines aren’t 100% effective, some projections show herd immunity would require in excess of 90% of the population to be vaccinated to meaningfully end the pandemic here in the uk. I think if it falls well below that, it needs to be incentivised or at least better encouraged. 

What I mean regarding the kill rate is SARS and MERS kills a much bigger percentage of those who catch it but it has poor transmissibility. Covid-19 has exceeded deaths of both in a year with a 1% kill rate as it is highly transmissible. That’s the key to its unfortunate success in enabling it to kill so many. I was under the impression the vaccine hadn’t been tested and approved for use for under 16s? And will be forthcoming. And hopefully at the borders, having a covid vaccine can be made a requirement as is the case with other vaccines to go to certain parts of the world as then it becomes like one of the choices I earlier listed. You can walk away.

In an ideal world, I’d totally agree that we should be able to trust enough people to give consent and take the vaccine. And to be fair, mandatory vaccination wouldn’t be my first choice, but something I kept in my back pocket as a last resort. My views are skewed having seen there are people out there who will happily have the vaccine, but then make a video linking it to infertility purely for the ad revenue. Having had covid and later months of weird symptoms now called “long covid” and only being 30 is also playing a part.

• Like 1