Is it true I can only ride 125cc in the UK for a year?

I've been riding motorbike bikes here in Asia now for about 5 months and scooters for about 10 years. I've ridden 125cc bikes and they just don't have the power to move me. I've  a heavy guy (18st) and most 125s hardly move at all with me on them.

I was told when I come back the UK I can take and access to full license? I don't really know what that means. 

Do I really have to ride around London on a 125 for 2 years, get and A2, then ride around on a 200cc for another 2 years before I can ride a 400cc bike?

I was planning to buy a Himalayan when I get back and go travelling in Europe, but it seems that might take some time.

You have to have pass a cbt test to ride 125s in the uk. If you want to ride bigger bike and are over 24 then you have to pass your full Direct Access test which is 3-5 days training, a skills test in a car park then a road riding test. Will cost £500 or so. If you're under 24 it's a bit more complex. 

Edited by geofferz

3 hours ago, James Vincero said:

I've been riding motorbike bikes here in Asia now for about 5 months and scooters for about 10 years.

Where did you obtain you motorcycle licence? If you have a full motorcycle licence that you obtained in either Hong Kong, Japan, Korea or Singapore you can exchange it for a UK licence. 

58 minutes ago, James Vincero said:

What is direct access and how do I do it?

I;m well over 24.

What is direct access? ... Expensive! That's what it is! ;)

https://begin-motorcycling.co.uk/direct-access-bike-test/

https://roadcraftnottingham.co.uk/courses-and-prices/das-direct-access-courses/

Edited by KiwiBob

1 hour ago, TimR said:

You can only drive on your countries provided licence for a year before you are required to exchange it for a UK licence .failing to do so can lead to heavy prosecution 

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

He has no licence! ..

Edited by KiwiBob

1 hour ago, Copycat73 said:

odd.. you don`t know what direct access is .. yet shout the key age attached to it ..  so now i call SOCK PUPPET account ... 

Geofferz stated at 24+ he can do DAS. So I would assume that is what he is responding to when saying he is well over 24.

Geofferz covered it basically.
DAS applies to you if you want a higher CC bike than 125cc.
You would get a provisional licence, then find a motorcycle school who will train you.

Oftentimes they will include the CBT. So CBT (to be able to ride on provisional), then usually a crossover lesson (to 'wean' you on to a bigger bike), then X amounts

of training lessons (decided by you/the school dependant on ability), then MOD1 test followed by MOD2 test.  This can vary in price a lot. All depending on amount

of training, but like Geofferz stated. Baseline £500-ish.

The Motorcycle theory would also have to be taken at some point BEFORE the Mod1.

In a normal world of things being right, this could have achievable in about a month possibly even less I think.

Now thanks to back log/covid/etc ... It is a little bit harder to predict.

Still, you need a licence first. No idea how it all applies to a non-UK citizen if you're not one. :)

On 27/02/2021 at 16:01, geofferz said:

You have to have pass a cbt test to ride 125s in the uk. If you want to ride bigger bike and are over 24 then you have to pass your full Direct Access test which is 3-5 days training, a skills test in a car park then a road riding test. Will cost £500 or so. If you're under 24 it's a bit more complex. 

2 hours ago, Copycat73 said:

odd.. you don`t know what direct access is .. yet shout the key age attached to it ..  so now i call SOCK PUPPET account ... 

sock puppet.jpg

1 hour ago, peatear said:

Geofferz stated at 24+ he can do DAS. So I would assume that is what he is responding to when saying he is well over 24.

Geofferz covered it basically.
DAS applies to you if you want a higher CC bike than 125cc.
You would get a provisional licence, then find a motorcycle school who will train you.

Oftentimes they will include the CBT. So CBT (to be able to ride on provisional), then usually a crossover lesson (to 'wean' you on to a bigger bike), then X amounts

of training lessons (decided by you/the school dependant on ability), then MOD1 test followed by MOD2 test.  This can vary in price a lot. All depending on amount

of training, but like Geofferz stated. Baseline £500-ish.

The Motorcycle theory would also have to be taken at some point BEFORE the Mod1.

In a normal world of things being right, this could have achievable in about a month possibly even less I think.

Now thanks to back log/covid/etc ... It is a little bit harder to predict.

Still, you need a licence first. No idea how it all applies to a non-UK citizen if you're not one. :)

I'm a UK citizen, just been out of the UK for about as long as I've been riding bikes. I'm happy to pay what I need to get the license, that no problem. But the ultimate goal is to come back to the UK, get a license and then maybe buy a Himalayan or TransAlp to go travelling with.

Here in Asia I can't buy a bike, well I can and I've owned a few, but I can never legally transfer the deed/title into my name.

Plus a lot of the countries I wanna go travelling to actually do require a license lol. unlike 90% of south east Asia.

51 minutes ago, James Vincero said:

I'm a UK citizen, just been out of the UK for about as long as I've been riding bikes. I'm happy to pay what I need to get the license, that no problem. But the ultimate goal is to come back to the UK, get a license and then maybe buy a Himalayan or TransAlp to go travelling with.

Here in Asia I can't buy a bike, well I can and I've owned a few, but I can never legally transfer the deed/title into my name.

Plus a lot of the countries I wanna go travelling to actually do require a license lol. unlike 90% of south east Asia.

Then, as above applies. :)

Get yourself the provisional licence and start your motorbike journey. Once you have your licence you can legally ride the Himalayan/TransAlp. :)

Essentially once you finish the CBT you have two years to complete the MOD2. Get asking some schools for prices and how they go about the DAS.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2021 at 06:21, peatear said:

Then, as above applies. :)

Get yourself the provisional licence and start your motorbike journey. Once you have your licence you can legally ride the Himalayan/TransAlp. :)

Essentially once you finish the CBT you have two years to complete the MOD2. Get asking some schools for prices and how they go about the DAS.

How long should this process take? Could I do all of this in weeks? Or will it take me months or years?

Ordinarily the whole process would take a couple of months, but at the moment I would expect it to take at least six months with the backlog of testing from cancellations due to covid.

Your first step will be to apply for a provisional licence then book a CBT, this will at least allow you to legally ride a 125, there are plenty of 125's that are at the upper limit of 15bhp which will handle your weight.

I recently saw a review of a Hyosung GV 125 vtwin which although quite pricey from new, maybe be a good shout on the used market, also I think they are made in Korea :thumb:

Edited by dynax
  • Like 1

On 02/03/2021 at 15:43, dynax said:

Ordinarily the whole process would take a couple of months, but at the moment I would expect it to take at least six months with the backlog of testing from cancellations due to covid.

Your first step will be to apply for a provisional licence then book a CBT, this will at least allow you to legally ride a 125, there are plenty of 125's that are at the upper limit of 15bhp which will handle your weight.

I recently saw a review of a Hyosung GV 125 vtwin which although quite pricey from new, maybe be a good shout on the used market, also I think they are made in Korea :thumb:

This video is great btw, thanks. I've ridden many 150cc bikes here and I can't get above 30 mph on them and they tend to over heat with the pressure lol.Trust me when I say a 125 is less than useless for me lol