Insurance for riding while under CBT instruction

Pbassred

My wife's CBT expired during Covid.  She has booked to do another very soon. Obviously (probably obvious!) she is not insured to ride her bike without a CBT. However, she is super short and very limited in bikes she can get on (please don't suggest a list of potential bikes.  We know them), so she wants to do the course on her own bike.  The centre used to have a scooted but not any more.

Are insurers will/able to insure for riding while under instruction?  She has already called her insurer but they don't know yet(!)

How would you get it to the training school?

Also does that mean the school only does geared bike training ? Seems strange I would have thought a lot of revenue would be for scooter CBT for delivery driving .

Edited by Spongefinger

How would you get it to the training school?

I can ride a motorcycle.

Also does that mean the school only does geared bike training ? Seems strange I would have thought a lot of revenue would be for scooter CBT for delivery driving .

When I took mine the guy only ran geared bikes. This school has a slot in 2 weeks time because she booked a while ago.  It is what it is.  There are other schools but they have a waiting list that is months long.

This is the opportunity.  The question is how to take advantage of it.

Edited by Pbassred

18 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

Why are you being so rude ?

To be honest I didn't see it as being rude!! he doesn't know and he doesn't care and its not the subject of the thread :? 

But I suppose its down to the individual on how they read it! The question is on insurance and not the bikes the training school uses :? 

• Like 2

Well OP already mentioned that his wife has called her insurance and they don't have an answer for her, I can't imagine anyone on here would be able to offer a better advice/opinion as our information would be limited on this matter. Lol, I guess the best thing is to just wait till her insurer knows.

Irrespective of whether or not you can get insurance, the fact still remains she will be riding illegally until such time that she is under the supervision of an instructor.

1 hour ago, dynax said:

Irrespective of whether or not you can get insurance, the fact still remains she will be riding illegally until such time that she is under the supervision of an instructor.

No mention of her Riding it prior ...

So  you either transport the bike there via alternative means or Hubby/Friend etc rides it to the training facility as long as their  insurance allows them to use other vehicles ( *check for the clause in some policies that don't cover you if the vehicle is owned by your spouse*) .. as the vehicle is still insured even though Wife is technically Not until she is under instruction .

Edited by TimR

To be honest I didn't see it as being rude!! he doesn't know and he doesn't care and its not the subject of the thread :? 

Precisely this.  I can't change what that school bike are and it does not affect the fact that she can't ride them. The question is about insurance.  Its genuine issue that affects a lot of people who CBTs were not extended during the pandemic.

However I guess people like to clog up a thread with irrelevant points of view.  That's not rude at all, is it.

• Like 1

I hope you manage to get it sorted and your missus gets back on two wheels as soon as, it's not been an easy time for anyone and there are plenty of people in the same situation.

Not much help I know but this whole situation could have been handled differently.

Best of luck :thumb:

Why can't she ride the schools bikes ?

Please read original post.

All,

It turns out that her insurer will insure for the CBT (but would cancel the policy if she failed).