To lub or not to lub...

husoi

3 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Back in the day when I was despatching in London we had a 9 fingered colleague who would agree with you lol.

You should have heard the squealing !

Cheers

Ian

lol. thing is to get the chain to dry you dont need to go near it. i never put hands near it if its running... mostly due to being clumsy

• 2 weeks later...

I have been experimenting with my Gibidi or Nero 2 oiler.

First time I used gear oil as recommended. I try to activate it on a long section of 30-40 mph road on my way home. I found a moderate degree of fling.

Next fill I'm using cheap Wilkos 20W/50 engine oil which I have left over from a project. You'd expect it to be flung more - but strangely it seems not. And it flows around the chain better.

Early days but the 20W/50 seems to be working better than the gear oil. Maybe because it flows better and forms a thinner layer around the chain there's less weight of oil to be flung off?

• Like 2

Interesting experiment. I've been using various types of spare bits engine oil but haven't looked at the rating.

I get a bit of fling from the Gibidi but nothing terribly worrying. Stops the bike being too clean and shiny. Never liked that! 😋

1 hour ago, Breezin said:

Interesting experiment. I've been using various types of spare bits engine oil but haven't looked at the rating.

I get a bit of fling from the Gibidi but nothing terribly worrying. Stops the bike being too clean and shiny. Never liked that! 😋

The old boys used oil for rust protection I here, I just think of it like wax oil...

• Like 1