BikeSafe

So I've managed to be get booked onto a BikeSafe course in June.... 2 days after I am due to complete my DAS course. As we all know passing a test is never a given, and when I received my booking confirmation details, they stated that I must have either A1, A2 or A license, nothing mentioned prior to this! 

I've emailed and explained the situation and stated that if they require me to cancel the booking then that's what I'll have to do. It's inner city, so no motorways as such to worry about, with the dual carriageways being a 60, my little 125 will manage that without any issues.

Guess I have to now wait and see.

Fish

• 1 month later...

Just back from the course. Starts with slides, videos and discussions, this took most of the morning. Then we was paired off with an officer (all one to one at the moment), they asked what we wanted to concentrate on, be it city or country riding. Being on the outskirts of London, we still had to do a bit of city type riding before we hit the country roads.

Trying to put into practice what was talked about in the morning, being road positioning, speed, gear selection, reading the corners as so on. All this whilst trying to keep an eye on the officer who follows mostly thought out the day for their indicators for directions. This went wrong a few times, but wasn't a big issue as we either changed the route or I realised a bit down the road and doubled back as soon as possible.

Stopped for lunch and a quick debrief about things he had noticed I was doing and shall I say needed adjustment   Once lunch was done it was back out into the Kentish countryside for some more fun. Riding thru one village I could hear someone say that I was in trouble as I was being closely followed.  

One stop during the afternoon then back for the debrief and the sales pitch for IAM, RoSPA and ERS but mostly for IAM and RoSPA.

Such a worthwhile day, bits for me to practice and get out of the habit of doing and these should make me a smoother rider. not to mention a tad quicker ;)

• Like 5

Sounds like a good course.....I've always said any training is good training,  even for people who have been riding for years.  I'm hoping, covid permitting, to get on one of the Bikemaster courses this year, see how things pan out 👍

Sounds good to do. Did they actually help with improving any aspects of your riding etc. was there things you were doing wrong/badly

that they picked up on and suggested ways to improve?

I'd like to get onto a BikeSafe course and then complete one of the advanced rider courses (IAM/ROSPA/ERS),

just a shame they don't do them up here. Would have to travel down to York area and they're all full up.

I need a bike first too. So that would help.  ;D

Edited by peatear

1 hour ago, peatear said:

Sounds good to do. Did they actually help with improving any aspects of your riding etc. was there things you were doing wrong/badly

I'd like to get onto a BikeSafe course and then complete one of the advanced rider courses (IAM/ROSPA/ERS),

just a shame they don't do them up here. Would have to travel down to York area and they're all full up.

I've been on the waiting list for 3yrs now, it's just not happening. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, peatear said:

I'd say the worst bit they picked up on was my filtering. Commuting into central London each day, gives you a kill or be killed mindset and I am a little aggressive shall we say. I'll do my best to ease off and see how that goes. There were a couple of other little bits, being a bit too close when following and coming into corners, think accordion effect. Still left space, just not enough.

All little bits that I'll do my best to put into practice. In the next 24-48 hours I should receive an email with the certificate of completion and what comments/improvements should be attempted.

It's well worth emailling them to ask about courses in your region. I was scheduled to be on one last year which was cancelled due to covid, then when they started up again the emails came out and the dates got snapped up VERY quickly.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, peatear said:

There’s absolutely no requirement to do Bikesafe or equivalent before IAM / RoSPA. 

I would contact the local group and just take it from there. In my experience they are, for the most part, friendly and welcoming and supportive of anyone wanting to improve their Roadcraft. 

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Fish said:

I'd say the worst bit /snip

Thanks! Just wondered what/how they pick up on things and the advice given really thanks for the explanation 🙂

12 hours ago, Steve_M said:

There’s absolutely no requirement to do Bikesafe or equivalent before IAM / RoSPA. 

I would contact the local group and just take it from there. In my experience they are, for the most part, friendly and welcoming and supportive of anyone wanting to improve their Roadcraft. 

I looked at them all and I realise that. But it is definitely something that I’d like to do as it’s all practice and tuition to improve riding. I’m a new rider, few weeks passed, without even owning a bike right now 😞

definitely could do with the advice.

and bikesafe seems more like a ‘CBT’ style thing where you don’t have a ‘test’? So would be a nice to have that experience before taking on actual tests which the IAM/ROSPA appear to be. 🙂

13 hours ago, Bender said:

I've been on the waiting list for 3yrs now, it's just not happening. 

Think even going on the York waiting list will be a long one unfortunately. 😞

• Like 1

Hi

With the IAM if you don't want to take the test your don't have to I suspect Rospa is the same  the main objective of both organisations is to improve your riding.  I deliver both Bikesafe and IAM.  Bikesafe is just one day ( in some areas two days) we can give out tips and make suggestions but bad habits take time to change. Taking a course over a few weeks will give you time to develop the skills and incorporate them fully into your riding and driving.

• Like 1