New 2021 Honda CB 125 R.

Granty

Hi all.

I'm about to order one of the above for delivery around September. I hope to part ex my March 2019 Yamaha YZF 125 R. It's not been dropped and unmarked. It's done 12500 miles. Full service history, last two done local due to the virus. It's had recent chain and sprockets and a rear tyre. It's got some R and G crash protection stuff fitted.

Come Monday I'm going to respectfully try and get £3200 for mine against the new bike. I'm well aware that the dealers have to keep the lights on and pay the staff but in the past I've nearly always given in to a dismal part ex offer.

I don't want to appear to be disrespectful during the negotiations. He or she will want to give as little as possible and I'll be trying to better their offer. 

Advice please. Where about do I want to be if I'm pitching to high. 

Regards. Granty.  

You're moving to a CB125R from the YZF? 

I think unfortunately the dealer will, to put it bluntly, skin you alive on the price they offer for the YZF. 

Firstly, ask the question, they might have someone lined up to take the YZF on and will give you a good deal. If they give you a bad one, look on AutoTrader, see what the prices are for similar versions to yours, and then try and undercut them. 

Bike prices at the moment are crazy, so you might be able to take advantage of it. But I also know that 125's are in scarce supply right now, owing to issues with the costs of shipping. Even the Chinese bikes have jumped up in price, so this might be a difficult deal to pull off in your favour. 

• Like 1

Hi.

Been sussing dealers out and they all seem to be in the same boat. And that's where some bikes of all makes are. There's a world shortage of new bikes.

Supply issues regarding ECU, ABS components, the virus, Suez blockage and the lack of containers are being blamed.

There's a ship due in September and apparently there's some Honda CB 125 R's. on it. Been told that it's likely but not guaranteed to be end of September early October before getting one on the road.

Some good news though, used bikes in good condition are likely to attract a decent price as desperate riders look elsewhere.

Regards.  

Used prices are mad right now. I got into a small scuff when I asked a genuine question to a lad selling an MT-07.

"Why would I buy this 2016 bike? And not a 2021 model for £600 more?"

Saw his arse... 

7 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Used prices are mad right now. I got into a small scuff when I asked a genuine question to a lad selling an MT-07.

"Why would I buy this 2016 bike? And not a 2021 model for £600 more?"

Saw his arse... 

Have to agree with that, I've seen some ludicrous prices asked in the motorbikes for sale Facebook group I'm in. 

Sick and tired of '..now going up in value, future classic..' for some ropey old zxr600 etc. xD

19 hours ago, Liveware Problem said:

Have to agree with that, I've seen some ludicrous prices asked in the motorbikes for sale Facebook group I'm in. 

Sick and tired of '..now going up in value, future classic..' for some ropey old zxr600 etc. xD

What they really mean is:

"Loads of people have too much money in their pockets with lockdown stopping them blow it on holidays and pubs, so now I can ask a mint for my tatty commuter by calling it a classic" 

Things like the gen 1 SV650 I understand, as the once common commuter is rarer now, and people love the old look, especially as it was styled on the TL1000. It's when you see a K2 GSXR600 with 45k miles and he wants 4 grand for it. God loves a tryer but yeeeesh.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Picked her up yesterday. Only done 21 miles, first impressions good. What I have noticed already, in comparison to the little YZFR, the little Honda is lighter and has a lot better steering lock to lock for getting the u-turns right. It also has a fatter rear tyre and some nice gold coloured Showa front forks. At present well pleased.

Nice day for tomorrow so Fimber cafe it is for tea and egg and bacon pie. 

Regards and take care. 

• Like 2