Newbie Querie - Will any wheel fit my bike??

RubyBones

Morning All, beautiful morning for a ride in the south. Hope you all get out today for Sunday cruise. 

quick query from a newbie, may be a stupid question....but! 

Q. Can I fit any cruiser style wheel on my gz125. It’s a 1998 and has a 16” front rim 110/90-16” but I really don’t like this small front wheel size and want to put some like an 18” front rim on. Something like a virago front wheel which I think are 80/100-18”

How does it work, can I just remove the front disk brake and wheel and swap in a new one from another bike and fit my current gz brake disk to new wheel. Or do I need to remove the whole wheel and disc brake and use the disc on the new wheel?

will it even fit my front axle/tube width, what considerations do I need to make? 

thanks I’m advance 

Please don't take offense , but if you haven't worked out the variable factors for yourself may I strongly suggest that you don't go anywhere near your front wheel . 

Off the top of my head I'd say no. Customisation is a little more complex than just swapping bits around. A bike has a certain geometry which it is designed with for optimal performance. Mess around with that an you open an entire can of worms.

None taken @fastbob and I appreciate the honesty. 

That being said, out of interest,  the variables being? How does one educate them selves on this sort of thing. 

Even if I took it to a shop to do (where I would hope I could trust them) My interested are more so In having the knowledge of what is required, what the variables to consider over actually making any changes my self? 

I dunno, I think it sounds like a laugh.

It'd probably be one of those things that sounds easy but turns out to be a total ball ache.

If it were me, I'd be looking at sourcing an 18" rim and respoking the current hub to the rim rather than messing about with brakes and axles etc.

Providing you can drop the forks a bit over an inch (whatever it works out to be given your rake angle) then the impact on handling should only be slight if noticeable.

1 hour ago, RubyBones said:

None taken @fastbob and I appreciate the honesty. 

That being said, out of interest,  the variables being? How does one educate them selves on this sort of thing. 

Even if I took it to a shop to do (where I would hope I could trust them) My interested are more so In having the knowledge of what is required, what the variables to consider over actually making any changes my self? 

The variables are wheel diameter , tyre size , axel length , axel diameter , disc diameter , disc bolt quantity , diameter , spacing and thread , wheel spacer diameter and thickness , Speedo drive compatibly ( if applicable ) and mudguard clearance . And all for what ? A 125 is a transitional bike so why knacker it up for the sake of appearance . This won't increase the value . 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, fastbob said:

The variables are wheel diameter , tyre size , axel length , axel diameter , disc diameter , disc bolt quantity , diameter , spacing and thread , wheel spacer diameter and thickness , Speedo drive compatibly ( if applicable ) and mudguard clearance . And all for what ? A 125 is a transitional bike so why knacker it up for the sake of appearance . This won't increase the value . 

It will increase the insurance 😁 

• Haha 1

I say keep trying to find out and see. Make your bike look the way you want if you have the resources.

There might be simpler options as well like a different style if wheel but the same size as the existing.