Brand new bike classed as a CATN write off - WTF!

KatJ

hi Guys, hope you can offer some guidiance.

My brand new MT07 was stolen and subsequently recovered. Damages ammounting to about £2k (verified by yamaha), bike cost me £7K

I just got a settlement offer from MCE, classifing the bike as a CatN write off and offering me £5.6K for it!

How can a brand new bike, that can easily be repaired be a write off?!

Can i just tell them to piss off and give me the bike back so i can pay 2k and repare it myslef?

At this point they are not offering me an option to "buy it back" from them either

Edited by KatJ

That's not unusual. Bikes get written off for even quite minor damage. I've bought a few cheap and sorted things out and it's a cheap way to buy a bike. 

You can ask them to buy it back and come to an agreed settlement, then fix it yourself. But remember it will carry the write off marker so will be worth less. If you plan on keeping it that's not an issue, it will only affect things when you come to sell it on or trade it in.

they are due to call me in the next few hours, i do not get it honestly. So at this point, because i opened the claim with them already, i cant just tell them to just give me the bike back? do i need to buy it back? that seems strange too, it is my bike not theirs!

Because you have opened a claim they will register that against your name now anyway plus they are within their rights to charge you for any valuations and estimates if you don't go through with the claim