Commuting conundrum

Lateralus

So having flirted with a VFR1200F as a potential replacement for my 2010 R1200RT, I've bailed on making the switch. This may in part be due to my wife not wanting to discuss it when raised as a topic, because she "didn't want to spoil our anniversary with an argument"! 😂😂

Ultimately though, although I wasn't able to test ride it, I also wasn't sure it would be a significant enough difference to ease me through the congested filtering which is now my daily commute. I was also reminded of one of the main things I like about the RT, when riding on the motorway in torrential rain and getting home basically dry. There's a lot to be said for that when riding all year. 

Nevertheless, I groan inside every time the queuing traffic tightens up too much for the boat-sized RT to get through, and find myself having to stop, often to let another smaller bike carry happily on! I'm therefore thinking the solution might be a second bike for just shuttling to the office and back, and keeping the RT for the longer trips. I'll say it quietly, but...

... I'm thinking about getting a large(ish) capacity scooter. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Bianco2564 said:

Like this ?

20190309_173834-1651x1238.jpg

Yes, very much like that. 

Doesn't address the "debate" which would be needed about both the cost and the principle of a second bike, but I think it would make the commuting better? Is that right, or just wishful thinking?

I use mine totally for the commute 27 miles each way, done over 15000miles on it in the 2.5 years I've owned it.

It's narrow enough to squeeze through traffic and enough power to see off most normal cars from standing, dead easy to ride thru traffic.

The leg guards and screen offer good weather protection, I use it all year except during ice or snow.

Only criticism is its not very economical for its power output, a mere 50hp and it only does around 50mpg at best.

If my commute was shorter or in more urban areas I'd go for a 400cc.

It makes sense to me to own a workhorse like this, all my other bikes and car fall into the classic Sunday toy status so don't really get used to go to work except on the odd dry day. I only paid £700 for it, insurance and tax are negligible.

Not fussed if it gets damaged, dirty or rained on and relaxed about its security at home and work.  

30 minutes ago, Lateralus said:

Yes, very much like that. 

Doesn't address the "debate" which would be needed about both the cost and the principle of a second bike, but I think it would make the commuting better? Is that right, or just wishful thinking?

Cheaper on tyres and fuel and tax and wear and tear and servicing..............

Edit: and it will get you home faster and time at home with the family is the most precious thing in the world :lol: 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bianco2564 said:

I use mine totally for the commute 27 miles each way, done over 15000miles on it in the 2.5 years I've owned it.

It's narrow enough to squeeze through traffic and enough power to see off most normal cars from standing, dead easy to ride thru traffic.

The leg guards and screen offer good weather protection, I use it all year except during ice or snow.

Only criticism is its not very economical for its power output, a mere 50hp and it only does around 50mpg at best.

If my commute was shorter or in more urban areas I'd go for a 400cc.

It makes sense to me to own a workhorse like this, all my other bikes and car fall into the classic Sunday toy status so don't really get used to go to work except on the odd dry day. I only paid £700 for it, insurance and tax are negligible.

Not fussed if it gets damaged, dirty or rained on and relaxed about its security at home and work.  

Sounds ideal. I'm tempted at looking at the 300-400cc range, but only if they'd offer similar protection from the elements. I do have a 7 mile dual carriageway bit on the 21 mile commute, but if I knew I was doing a longer journey on bigger roads I'd just take the RT. 

What age/mileage was yours for £700?! 

It's a 2003 Honda Silverwing non abs model, had 49k miles on it. 

Was a cat N at some point, fell off its stand and cracked a load of bodywork.

Got it off ebay, didn't make its reserve so made the guy a sensible offer.

Talking of tyres, taken a while to find a decent brand for the rear that doesn't wear out quickly, runs a Bridgestone Hoop.

Since I've owned it I've carried out these repairs and maintenance.

Oil &filter twice

Spark plugs

Air filter

Fork seals and oil

One rear shock due to corrosion 

Both brake calipers

Both sets of pads at least twice

Front wheel due to loose bearing in the housing.

Battery

X2 front tyres

X4 rear tyres