What have I bought? Is it a HONDA CG125?

1 hour ago, Bender said:

Nothing wrong with asking questions and I don't do Facebook either so congrats to you on that score 😁 

I answered the question a page back when I said it was a Cg125 . Anyway , looks like we have served our purpose as an information on demand service . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Justboughtabike said:

Yep, looks the same! I can't see the difference in the seat, what is it i'm looking at?

My old one has beading around the edge of it and a strap across the middle. Yours looks like it's had an aftermarket cover plonked on it.

Like @fastbob said, if it's got "made in Japan" on most of the bits then it's almost definitely a nostalgia model.

Someone, somewhere posted a list of the frame numbers for the nostalgia model - there were only a few hundred imported so there's not a huge amount of UK specific information.

Compare yours to mine. Look at stuff like the engine casing - it's got "CDI Honda" on it, the bodywork is right, the gear sequence is right, it's got the correct stickers on the chain guard, the list goes on. That's an awful lot of trouble for someone to undertake just to mug you off!

Just be happy that you've scored a desirable bike and ride the bloody thing!

1 minute ago, Mr Fro said:

My old one has beading around the edge of it and a strap across the middle. Yours looks like it's had an aftermarket cover plonked on it.

Like @fastbob said, if it's got "made in Japan" on most of the bits then it's almost definitely a nostalgia model.

Someone, somewhere posted a list of the frame numbers for the nostalgia model - there were only a few hundred imported so there's not a huge amount of UK specific information.

Compare yours to mine. Look at stuff like the engine casing - it's got "CDI Honda" on it, the bodywork is right, the gear sequence is right, it's got the correct stickers on the chain guard, the list goes on. That's an awful lot of trouble for someone to undertake just to mug you off!

Just be happy that you've scored a desirable bike and ride the bloody thing!

I've come to the conclusion it's the Japanese nostalgia model and i'm cracking on with sorting insurance as we speak - looking forward to getting out on it! I also spoke to Honda today and give them the bikes VIP and engine code, they said they will work on tracking down the original manufacturer and send me the manual, it will cost £30 but would actually like to own it. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Justboughtabike said:

On the bikes DVLA papers from the former owner and on the bike frame itself, the VIN is only 11 digits long and starts with CE125. I know this is too short, and I wondered what the reason might be?

Also, on the frame, the VIN is marked as CG125, not CE125, although the following numbers are the same.

The DVLA papers also say the 'bike model' is a CT125!!?  The bike doesn't look like a CT model, and I can't figure out why it's registered as one?

The DVLA papers register the 'body type' as a 'Scooter Combination'. Is this normal? 

I wouldn't get too hung up about the DVLA getting details correct. You can get the errors on the V5 corrected, word of caution - be ready to provide evidence. I have imported vehicles, provided all details and await the V5. Its been know to get a returned V5 with just 'Toyota -  White - petrol'   😂 

Glad you got most of your questions answered  

17 minutes ago, Justboughtabike said:

I've come to the conclusion it's the Japanese nostalgia model and i'm cracking on with sorting insurance as we speak - looking forward to getting out on it! I also spoke to Honda today and give them the bikes VIP and engine code, they said they will work on tracking down the original manufacturer and send me the manual, it will cost £30 but would actually like to own it. 

Lovely , glad we got that sorted . Just a slight note of concern . You're going to have an interesting time of it when you get another bike and you have to unlearn that gearbox . 

33 minutes ago, Justboughtabike said:

Everything I can see says Japan, and also didn't get it from Maidstone

Just wondered . In my extensive research on the subject I came across this bike . Might be a trick of the light but it looks like the engine and mudguard are painted black and the bottom half of the chainguard is missing . Just like yours. This one sold recently for £600 .

Screenshot_20211018-134025.png

Edited by fastbob

This was the best one I built . A 1976 . That engine is a hybrid mixture of Brazilian and Japanese parts . I always regret not sourcing a better chainguard . 

Polish_20211018_195003408.png

• Like 4

On 18/10/2021 at 19:21, Pie man said:

I wouldn't get too hung up about the DVLA getting details correct. You can get the errors on the V5 corrected, word of caution - be ready to provide evidence. I have imported vehicles, provided all details and await the V5. Its been know to get a returned V5 with just 'Toyota -  White - petrol'   😂 

Glad you got most of your questions answered  

That's the plan just get the error corrected on the forms and go from there 

On 18/10/2021 at 19:42, fastbob said:

Just wondered . In my extensive research on the subject I came across this bike . Might be a trick of the light but it looks like the engine and mudguard are painted black and the bottom half of the chainguard is missing . Just like yours. This one sold recently for £600 .

Screenshot_20211018-134025.png

It does look like mine strangely enough! I live in the North, around Preston ways, I wonder if it was bought and resold to me...?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stikflote said:

i ve had a few small honda,s and my bro.s have.

I have never seen Honda parts  saying made in Turkey 

the best advice you have been given is get on and ride it

Turkish CG's look like this . Then there are Brazilian , Japanese and now Pakistani and possibly Indian ones as well . 

Screenshot_20211028-180128.png