Anti tampering legislation again

linuxrob

There has been new developments. go here for full doc

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards#questionshttps://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards#questionshttps://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards#questions

You can respond in a few ways to tell them your concerns (if any) do so by 11;45 pm 22nd nov 2021

here is part of the document: not the use of the words ANY, i repeat ANY

Tackling tampering

We will create new offences for tampering with a system, part or component of a vehicle intended or adapted to be used on a road. This will enable us to address existing gaps in the legislation, ensuring cleaner and safer vehicles. We will also create new offences for tampering with non-road mobile machinery (NRMM) and for advertising ‘tampering’ services or products.

This will strengthen our ability to enforce compliance in this area.

We are aware that the Law Commissions in both their first and third consultations on automated vehicles have considered tampering. We await their final recommendations and would welcome views on our proposals, as follows.

Specifically, we would look to create:

• a specific offence for supplying, installing and/or advertising, a ‘tampering product’ for a vehicle or NRMM – this would apply where a principal effect of the product is to bypass, defeat, reduce the effectiveness of or render inoperative a system, part or component (the product may be a physical part or component, hardware and/or software)
  • a specific offence for removing, reducing the effectiveness of, or rendering inoperative a system, part or component for a vehicle/NRMM and advertising such services
  • a specific offence for allowing for use or providing a vehicle or NRMM that has had the operations described in the previous 2 points performed on it
  • a new power to require economic operators to provide information, where a service/product they have supplied amounts to or enables ‘tampering’ with a vehicle or NRMM – this would apply in any of the above senses and include requirements to provide relevant information on the quantities of products sold or modified
  • Like 1

If this legislation is brought in I wonder if will extend to e-bikes?   Plenty of kits out there now for derestricting them, this is just one example:  https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/electric-bike-upgrades/electric-bike-components/speedbox-3-electric-bike-speed-tuning-derestriction-for-bosch__6245  I was behind an e-bike going through a 30mph zone a few days ago,  I was doing 30 and I couldn't catch up to him.  The difference,   from a safety perspective,  is firstly, I'm wearing protective gear and crash helmet, secondly,  my brakes, at that speed, will stop me pretty efficiently .... His won't!  I have nothing against cycling, I do it myself,  however, if laws are going to be passed they should include all road users, not just selectively target the usual cash cows .... Motorists!  

I think it will be an "if" when it comes to implementing this law,  for the life of me I can't see how they would police or enforce the rules?  I assume they're looking at emissions,  however,  as with most government documents,  it's as clear as mud, with wording and loopholes that would potentially allow them to extend into other areas.  The longer I live in this country the more there is to be said for living off grid somewhere, the Siberian Tundra is starting to look more attractive with each passing day 😆

• Haha 1

This happened with cars a few years back. Those who ran round wetting themselves were generally those doing daft things. Once it worked out in reality then if something is safe to pass the MOT then it won't have too many problems.

Emissions is going to grow as an area of compliance and I suspect the removal of cats will fall foul of the changes. But the kind of tinkering most people want to do will still be within the scope of possibility.

It was the twerps who put a 2.0 litre engine into a Corsa without upgrading the brakes or suspension who got the chop.

I thought removing the cat was already a no-no? Certainly when I changed my end can MIVV supplied a homologation card stating everything complied with all EU directives concerning noise and emissions. They also provide a full system which looks really good but removes the cat and they state this may not be legal depending on your location.

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

I thought removing the cat was already a no-no? 

Bikes aren't checked for emissions as of yet and one of the most common mods on the Triumphs is to delete the cat. Doesn't seem to cause any problem at MOT time.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bender said:

Well I've filled the survey in for what it's worth 😁 

Thanks Bender. Have a look at the MAG site  too. Not much else we can do to put our concerns across.

• Like 1

Presumably changing your wheels or fitting an end can or seat mod would too. Seems a bit excessive all round. I filled in the survey too but found it pretty heavy going. Typically government legalese and open to various interpretations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Presumably changing your wheels or fitting an end can or seat mod would too. Seems a bit excessive all round. I filled in the survey too but found it pretty heavy going. Typically government legalese and open to various interpretations.

Yup that's the problem, interpretation, mot guy may be fine, vosa and police inspection could be completely different. 

I get the emissions bit but the potential for government overkill is huge. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

That's the thing with proposals they go in hard then come out with less but the things they wanted!

It makes people feel like they got a "deal" 

They will probably do it so that it limits you so you can't alter the emissions output and leave the rest alone 

• Like 2