New big bike & cornering

marcusk

So...Passed my test a few weeks ago and got my first big bike this week, a 2014 Suzuki GSR750 and I suppose I have a noob big bike query and I feel daft even saying it, but,… cornering.

So I know how to corner, front brake if in a straight line, dab my rear brake going in, ease off throttle, consistent through corner, accelerate out of it… had a nice Aprilia Tuono 125 for the last 4 years and got decent enough at cornering, counter steering, getting fairly low (not knee down mind!) and just being smooth. Been learning since this summer on a 2005 Yamaha FZ6 (so not much less powerful than my GSR) and initially cornering was slightly weird (presumably) because of the extra weight and centre of gravity of the bike but got used to it quickly. However, my new bike scares me a bit as it feels, well trickier again. Now it is heavier again at 210kg and the big thing I noticed was the very responsive throttle - the other two old bikes had what I would call a ‘floppy throttle’ and I had to turn the handle to get a response, this one feels like the smallest muscle spasm causes surge ahead or engine braking. My feeling is that going into a corner, heavier bike and possibly me easing off the throttle causing the bike to sit up a fraction is making me feel less confident? I also wonder if the suspension is too hard and it needs to be softer – would that also make a difference as I am quite light at 73kg? I have noted cornering on bad roads really judders the bike and makes it skittish which I am not used to.

I have decent tyres, correct pressure and no obvious bike defects (!) So any thoughts or tips would be great thanks!

Cheers

Marcus

2021-12-06 15.22.25_Small.jpg

Hi Marcus

Firstly congrats on passing and welcome aboard.

Before you alter anything please make a note of your current (Base) settings and try to resist changing more than one thing at a time.

If a larger/heavier bike is feeling skittish then your thoughts on softening the rear shocks a little by reducing preload then returning to base and trying same short route while feeling is fresh in your head could be a good start.

The snatchy or skittish feel of the throttle is an unfortunate consequence of modern tech on a lot of modern bikes and may be something you need to acclimatise to.

Change a little return to base try again and good luck.

Keep us informed and I am sure someone else will be along soon to confuse or help you.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Hi Marcus

Firstly congrats on passing and welcome aboard.

Before you alter anything please make a note of your current (Base) settings and try to resist changing more than one thing at a time.

If a larger/heavier bike is feeling skittish then your thoughts on softening the rear shocks a little by reducing preload then returning to base and trying same short route while feeling is fresh in your head could be a good start.

The snatchy or skittish feel of the throttle is an unfortunate consequence of modern tech on a lot of modern bikes and may be something you need to acclimatise to.

Change a little return to base try again and good luck.

Keep us informed and I am sure someone else will be along soon to confuse or help you.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian, good advice on adjusting the preload, worth a gentle tinker...

A lot of modern FI bikes are snatchy at low speeds. Some people find a Booster Plug helps. It slightly richens the fuel mix at light throttle settings. 

This is not the easiest time of year to get used to a different bike. The condition of the roads is awful so take it easy. Your tyres will be cold and I certainly find cornering at this time of the year less fun than in warmer weather when you have much more grip.

• Like 2

I would leave the rear brake alone. 

Get down to the correct speed and be back on the throttle before the turn in point. 
You need to be accelerating gently  with enough constant throttle so the weight has transferred to the rear wheel. 
Reach the apex and then gas it out. 

If you feel you get it wrong and the bike is sitting up then counter steer more. 

• Like 2

Congratulations on passing your test.  I can empathise a bit with some of your problems,  I experienced the same with my MT10.  Firstly, snatchy throttles, as has already been said,  is the downside of modern bikes,  made worse by them running lean because of emissions controls.  You can sometimes smooth a snatchy throttle out by having the bike remapped,  just bear in mind,  doing so, can sometimes, potentially, cause other problems.  As for suspension,  I personally find setting up suspension properly is an acquired skill,  I found my MT10 had a tendency to drift on tight corners.  I opted for taking the bike to someone who knew how to set suspension up properly and got them to do it.  They found that, among other things, my rear suspension was too soft,  basically causing the front end to go light in the bends.  Once they set everything up it was perfect, the guy that did it for me had years of racing experience though with a lot of knowledge to back up what he was doing.  

Thanks all - some really useful advice above, thank you.

I have been thinking about how i rode my 125 and on that I was doing pretty much what some of you have said; drop a gear and keep the revs up a tad and some gentle power through the corner. Basically because it had no torque in its 1 cylinder 15hp engine, I instinctively dropped a gear (i had to!) and powered round; it was relatively so low powered giving it some power before the apex didn't concern me.. that with counter steer worked. Now I have a notably way faster, more sensitive throttled, heavy bike i am going in to the corner using the torque, not dropping that gear, cruising around with no power on, with any small movements on my throttle hand affecting my lean (cos i am not actively on the power enough). I have inadvertently changed how I ride cos I am nervous of the big bike. Right. Going to find some quieter lanes when the weather gets nicer to try some finer throttle control and balancing it through the corner better (slowly!).

Going to get some advice on adjusting the preloads as well!

Cheers

Marcus

Edited by marcusk

3 hours ago, marcusk said:

using the torque, not dropping that gear, cruising around with no power on

This will make cornering really hard to control. You won't have the control you need as you turn, and when you open the throttle, the suspension will be unsettled as it absorbs the thrust from the rear wheel. This makes the bike feel unstable - and can be a lot worse if the throttle is snatchy.

Try getting the power back on just a tad immediately before the corner starts. Keep it on steady until you're beginning to straighten up and then accelerate gently. Very gently if the road is slippery.

• Like 1