Details of gear changing and coming to a stop

A few of you guys know that I'm new to motorcycling and have booked an introductory course, but I want to get into my head the steps/rules to changing gears and when coming to a stop.

Off the top of my head the steps to changing gears are that you have to;

1) pull clutch in

2) Slowly ease clutch out until you feel the bike moving (biting point right?)

3) slowly use gas/throttle to get the bike moving a bit faster

4) gas/throttle off

5) clutch in

6) press down to 1st gear (as you are in neutral)

7) repeat (but one stern flick up to get to 2nd) and so on

Coming to a stop you;

1) gas/throttle off

2) pull in front brake in a gradual manner

3) press back brake

4) pull clutch in

5) press down say to 3rd from 4th, then 2nd, then 1st

6) you then come to a stop when bike has slowed down - or should you use the front brake just after getting into 1st gear to bring you to a complete stop?

Also, when someone says roll the gas/throttle, do they mean use a little force when rolling it forwards?

Sorry if this is layed out horribly or too basic to discuss, it would just be interesting to hear your thoughts on the manner in which you change gears (up or down) and come to a stop. 

I'd not over think it as the guys doing the instructing for your CBT should take you through it all. It's really not that difficult and speaking personally I'd  say if you think about it too much you'll miss what's going on around you which is generally not a good idea.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, goat said:

Yeah  you're overthrowing. Let someone show you, then you can visualise it completely in your minds eye. From there you can practice. Do you drive a car?

I guess I'm getting too ahead of myself and need to relax on the subject lol.

I don't have a car license but I have taken lessons before. 

Same again . It really doesn't work like that at all . If you fill your head with all that stuff you will forget to ride a motorcycle . Ever wondered why people in YouTube compilations ride straight through hedges and fences without even trying to turn the handlebars ? It's because they have overloaded their brains with instructions . 

1 hour ago, JayMutt said:

A few of you guys know that I'm new to motorcycling and have booked an introductory course, but I want to get into my head the steps/rules to changing gears and when coming to a stop.

Off the top of my head the steps to changing gears are that you have to;

1) pull clutch in

2) Slowly ease clutch out until you feel the bike moving (biting point right?)

3) slowly use gas/throttle to get the bike moving a bit faster

4) gas/throttle off

5) clutch in

6) press down to 1st gear (as you are in neutral)

7) repeat (but one stern flick up to get to 2nd) and so on

Coming to a stop you;

1) gas/throttle off

2) pull in front brake in a gradual manner

3) press back brake

4) pull clutch in

5) press down say to 3rd from 4th, then 2nd, then 1st

6) you then come to a stop when bike has slowed down - or should you use the front brake just after getting into 1st gear to bring you to a complete stop?

Also, when someone says roll the gas/throttle, do they mean use a little force when rolling it forwards?

Sorry if this is layed out horribly or too basic to discuss, it would just be interesting to hear your thoughts on the manner in which you change gears (up or down) and come to a stop. 

You forgot neutral ! 

Just now, JayMutt said:

Ha! You guys are right. If I overload my head with too much info then it will take the fun and enjoyment away from learning. 

You might not even get through the cbt in one day but that's no big deal. The best thing you can do is relax and enjoy. It's all a learning opportunity.  You'll notice often people with bikes will pursue training far more than any car driver.

2 minutes ago, goat said:

You might not even get through the cbt in one day but that's no big deal. The best thing you can do is relax and enjoy. It's all a learning opportunity.  You'll notice often people with bikes will pursue training far more than any car driver.

I'm glad I decided to go with the introductory course first before the cbt course. I don't want to rush into getting my cbt or even getting a bike. If I have to do the introductory course two or three times, or the cbt more than once, then so be it. I want to become as confident and controlled on a bike as much as possible. 

• Like 1

I do feel sorry for people who have to go through this rigmarole just to ride a bike . Back in the day you just hopped on your mates 250 and rode around some industrial estate until you got the hang of it . Although I do not condone it nowadays , being pissed up was a  huge confidence booster especially when it came to standing on the seat or riding with no hands . 

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just to repeat what others have said. Don't over think it just do it, when make a list of the process it makes it look long and complicated but it's not. My 14 year old daughter did a taster session at the school  I learnt at and she had starting,  stopping and gear changes sorted in about 15 minutes. 

When you go pretty much the first thing you learn is finding the biting point and moving off and stopping, then gear changes after , you'll be fine....just book it 👊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fastbob said:

I do feel sorry for people who have to go through this rigmarole just to ride a bike . Back in the day you just hopped on your mates 250 and rode around some industrial estate until you got the hang of it . Although I do not condone it nowadays , being pissed up was a  huge confidence booster especially when it came to standing on the seat or riding with no hands . 

but back in those days cars had people walking in front of them waving flags 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1