Safe covered garage in glasgow

Roxnet

I understand your desire for the A68 and will be a good alternative if you have the time.

My choice would be the A1 instead as it is quicker to get to Edinburgh.

image.thumb.png.f975cfeff73e0fd324096817d9f5c17b.png

You can take the M90 from queensferry crossing to Kinross and then divert as in the map

image.thumb.png.ddb110c9949cd1b37b14162292f8b10e.png

My preferred alternative will be taking the A97 then the road to Bridge of Allan then enter Perth by south.

image.png

Then you get A93 to Braemar. From there it's pretty much tossing the coin.

Either go right towards Huntly then take the A96 to Inverness or as shown below

image.thumb.png.90f961c5380dec2fc1f9c836284bb851.png

Loch Ness is better done on it's own. Go south on the A92 then take the B862 at Fort Augustus and back to Inverness.

This will give you plenty of time for breaks and sightseeing around the loch.

image.thumb.png.978eb726eb86fcd6b645a2a30f80207c.png

Maybe you get lucky and have a glance at Nessy :thumb: 

Edited by husoi
  • Like 1

From Newcastle to Edinburgh you definitely want to avoid the A1. (Don't miss out on Northumberland in a mad dash to Edinburgh.  Contrary to some opinions its (imo) better by far than some of the Scottish Borders.)

The A1 is pretty boring and not much to look at compared to Bonio's recommendation which is much better.  Also on your way back to Newcastle from Carlisle don't just follow the A69 all the way. Take the Military Road which follows the line of Hadrians Wall.

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Westerly said:

From Newcastle to Edinburgh you definitely want to avoid the A1. It's pretty boring and not much to look at compared to Bonio's recommendation which is much better.  Also on your way back to Newcastle from Carlisle don't just follow the A69 all the way. Take the Military Road which follows the line of Hadrians Wall.

True the A1 comment but with all the trees that have come down this year you will risk finding closed roads.

And Scots are not known for speeding up roadworks. 🙄

I think I have frozen the second path.

The first is New Castle-Glasgow by highway, because I'd arrive early in Glasgow in order to visit it.

The second path -  I'd drive from Glasgow to Galtair, passing throgh Kilkurn Castle and  Fort William.

Do you think Is there some interesting site to visit along this path? Or maybe some deviation which is worth doing?

1249224825_Glasgow-Gualtair.thumb.JPG.5bb3f6f2db99810e6249d709e15fad3f.JPG

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1JLup495jJl45WAZdOeps8LTVIy6CF3P-&usp=sharing

10 hours ago, husoi said:

True the A1 comment but with all the trees that have come down this year you will risk finding closed roads.

And Scots are not known for speeding up roadworks. 🙄

I have to do the inverse-> Edimburg - New Castle and I need a fast way because I have to take the ship 

The A1 is not a fast road - some considerable stretches aren't even dual carriageway.  It has a lot of traffic  especially trucks. Whereas the A68 has a lot less traffic and on a bike especially is quite a fast road.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

The A1 is not a fast road - some considerable stretches aren't even dual carriageway.  It has a lot of traffic  especially trucks. Whereas the A68 has a lot less traffic and on a bike especially is quite a fast road.

Have I to pay for the A68 or is it free? 

35 minutes ago, Roxnet said:

Have I to pay for the A68 or is it free? 

Very few roads in the UK are toll roads. In fact the only one I know of is a section of the M6 which is nowhere near your planned routes. There's a few tunnels, bridges and so-called forest roads which have a toll but not many.

• Thanks 1

On 20/02/2022 at 20:10, Bender said:

Only to say you have been, the road across the top to Kyle of durness is OK but the road up to john o Groats is mehhh

I saw the road until Ullapool... It doesn't semm much better 🙄... excpecialy before the A835..

3 hours ago, Bender said:

Trekking how remote do you want to go 😁, aviemore is a great location for drinks and food plenty of routes to choose, need to have some relax time afterwards 

For the trakking I think to go 1 day in Quiriang and 1 in Cairngorms

• Like 2