Triumph Tiger 900 - 1995 --should I?

macjaffa

Hello there good people!!

In August I got back on the bike (after 10 years) with a Suzuki GS500F. It has been fun and frustrating step back into biking...and I've learned a lot about keeping it going, maintenance and horrid little fix jobs (thanks to you all for the help and advice).   The GS has just tipped over 50,000 miles.  It runs okay...but I've given it a new battery, sparkplugs, put carb cleaner through it and it seems quite happy for the moment.  It will need front sprocket and a chain soon, I should think.  MOT in May.

It's just about running quite reliably, but I know I need a bigger bike for motorway miles.  I'd also like to do some fun miles like the NC500. 

I've got a friend of my parents who is happy to part with  a Triumph Tiger 900 (1995)...for £500.  It's way older...I don't yet have details like the mileage but I'm sure it's waaaaay below my GS' 50,000.  It has a small hole in the exhaust manifold, apparently, and the rear disc break needs replacing.  MOT in June.  

It's an older bike, but I kind of figure that a bike is as old as its mileage.  I'd definitely like to get that style of bike, but until I win the lottery (which I don't play) I won't get something like BMW 1200 just yet. 

I don't know if it's a clever little move or silly.  I'd have to sell my GS.  But I also can't help but think that the resale of the Tiger must be well over £500 and might be worth the investment.  

Any thoughts, please? 

Thanks!

Before crunching any numbers I would want to see it and maybe talk to the owner as to how long they have had it and in general how have they got on with it/ who maintained it?

Then I would start looking at value etc as even if it`s dirt cheap if you aren`t confident about the reasons for sale how it`s been looked after walk away.

On the upside that does sound cheap and if your parents have known them for ages and trust them it could be a diamond.

Carpe Diem and Caveat Emptor spring to mind.

Cheers

Ian

14 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Before crunching any numbers I would want to see it and maybe talk to the owner as to how long they have had it and in general how have they got on with it/ who maintained it?

Then I would start looking at value etc as even if it`s dirt cheap if you aren`t confident about the reasons for sale how it`s been looked after walk away.

On the upside that does sound cheap and if your parents have known them for ages and trust them it could be a diamond.

Carpe Diem and Caveat Emptor spring to mind.

Cheers

Ian

Hiya, Ian, yep, that's making a lot of sense.  He's the type to take care of and maintain it..and as for his reason for sale, it's just that he hasn't used it in a while and he feels too old now....he's backing away and just wants some money to put towards fixing his favourite car.  I'd feel confident, also, that he wouldn't pass something on to me that was a problem, or unsafe.  I think he's let me know of anything he's aware of and said it's needing a little tidy up...but that's okay.

Could be something to snap up.

14 hours ago, goat said:

£500? I'll buy it if you don't.

Back away there....haha...but I get the point.  I think I'm leaning in towards the idea.  Thank you!

13 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Go for it. Great bikes and at that price it's a billy bargain.

I think I will...it's good to get the confirmation from you...I'll throw him a message to find out the little details.

12 hours ago, Old-codger said:

Make sure the sprag clutch is ok on that triumph as that is a weakness on them especially if the battery is low. Its an engine out and split cases to replace it. If its in good nick that could be a cracking deal.

Thank you...just Googled this...so I should hear a concerning, metallic thud on start up, if there's an issue.  I'll take a look!

12 hours ago, KiwiBob said:

If its a runner and has an MoT 'till June then for £500 I don't think you can go far wrong!

I think I agree....thank you!

--- General Reply ---

I feel like I'm going for it.  I have to see it and check on the height (I'm a little short, perhaps)...but I think it's an older bike but quite a bargain.  My bike is running well at the moment, but it has its quirks...I can't go wrong and it's nice to play with something new.  

Thanks for the help and advice!  

4 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

All that said it sounds a bit of a no-brainer to me.

I hope you have fun doing it up and more importantly riding it !

Cheers

Ian

Ha, yes...I feel like I've spent more time wrenching on the GS than riding it...but hopefully the Tiger would be a different story. haha.  Learned a lot though.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, macjaffa said:

Ha, yes...I feel like I've spent more time wrenching on the GS than riding it...but hopefully the Tiger would be a different story. haha.  Learned a lot though.  

I have a year 2000 Triumph Trophy 1200,

I believe they are give or take the same engine with an extra cylinder…
Someone has already raised the issue of the sprag clutch. Changing the exhaust manifold on a near 30 year old bike could be challenging.
Timing pickups can cause issues cheap easy fix,
Coils can be expensive, as can HT leads although you can make your own.  
Oh and They can be thirsty on fuel.

They are not without there quirks however people love them, also old enough a good condition rideable tiger MIGHT start appreciating…