Help appreciated

Ewan

So I'm finally in a financial position where I can afford to start the dream of owning a motorcycle. I'm a complete novice aprts from 2 years riding a 50cc scoter in my late teenage years. My question is am I better going for the cat and riding a 125cc or bite the bullet and going straight for my full license? And what routes best for me, I'm 34 years old and currently weighing 24st am I to big for a 125cc? 

Thanks in advance

I have a rather large mate, must be 14-15 stone, 5'8, with a g/f about the same weight, and they go everywhere on his old cg125. I dread to think what it does to the bikes' suspension, but  he's happy with it, so it must be OK

Going full license will allow you to ride pretty much anything.

So for the license bit I would suggest the full one.

Bikewise I would say that a 125 or even a 250 are good starting point but they don't ride the same way as a 400 upwards.

Weight, power, handling etc ate all different from a 125 and higher cc makes the difference more noticeable.

At the end it all depends on what you're looking for and the purpose you have for the bike.

What is your upper limit on cc and size of bike?

Keep in mind that being over 150kg is a bit of a push for a 125. Also the weight distribution will be greatly unbalanced.

Id defo just go for it and get a full license. you will be so much happier and can find a bike you will be comfy on. if you think about riders with pillion and both around 12-16 stone then bikes can handle it. but one with better suspension etc will be so much better and these are bigger bikes. good luck

I would recommend the smaller bike first, get the experience, you might find riding isn’t for you? 125s are great for learning the trade they handle well they teach you lots then, when you are ready, do your test. I have always preferred the smaller bikes particularly the 400’s easy to manoeuvre light and fast. I went for the Triumph T100 it wasn’t so much fun as the smaller bikes so traded in for a Transalp which was just fine. Now I’m 75 I’m going back to the 125’s and looking forward to them. Good luck hope you enjoy motorcycling. 

2yrs on any bike is time enough to know if you like it. 

Das and a good 600 as a min, my fazer still has a bit of performance with me and the wife on it which is near enough to your weight, unless the wife is lying 😂 

• Like 1