Cbr600f - any good?

daveinlim

I'm looking for a new bike. I'll be communicating year round and would like to use it for a few weekend blast. No interest in long journeys or trackdays.

My commute is about 90 minutes, half is A road, dual carriageway and motorway. The other half is fighting through central London commuter traffic.

So I'm looking for a do it all bike and don't want to spend much so about £4k or so is the budget. 

After short listing a few bikes I think a cbr600f from 2011 onwards would do the job. 

I'm sure a few here must have had these. What's your thoughts, anything I should look out for on them? 

Keep an ear  out for ticking coming from the right hand side of the 

engine. This is where the CCT resides.
Also not sure if the headers on the 2011 are stainless. If not look for signs of thinning. Mine were not stainless and I ended up with holes in them. They rust from the inside out. Mine was a 2002 bought in 2006 and rusted through in 2008!!

Other than that they are bulletproof in my experience. 

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Thanks 1

The 2011 model had nothing in common with the old CBR600F.  It was based on the Hornet.

The engine is from the later RR CBR,  and just like the Hornet it comes from its in a lower state of tune.  

It's not a bad bike by any means, but it's really is a hornet with a fairing on.

The hornets were pretty reliable apart from the odd rectifier issue. So it's a pretty solid bike.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bud said:

The 2011 model had nothing in common with the old CBR600F.  It was based on the Hornet.

The engine is from the later RR CBR,  and just like the Hornet it comes from its in a lower state of tune.  

It's not a bad bike by any means, but it's really is a hornet with a fairing on.

The hornets were pretty reliable apart from the odd rectifier issue. So it's a pretty solid bike.

Thanks for your imput. It's an every day bike I'm after so if it's a bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing then that's ok. Something reliable and relatively comfortable is what Im after. It's not an rr or similar more track focused bike that I'm after. 

The engine is basically the same as the one in my cbf. They can be a bit vibey at certain revs, and I'm still looking at ways to reduce the affect on my handlebars via different bar weights, but overall they are a good bike

Four grand opens up a lot of scope for alternatives to a mid range race rep style bike like the CBR 600 . 

11 hours ago, fastbob said:

Four grand opens up a lot of scope for alternatives to a mid range race rep style bike like the CBR 600 . 

I've taken the plunge on a CBR 600. 

It's getting a service and a new MOT and it'll be ready hopefully next week, get a few miles on it while summer is still here.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, daveinlim said:

I've taken the plunge on a CBR 600. 

It's getting a service and a new MOT and it'll be ready hopefully next week, get a few miles on it while summer is still here.

You'll soon get sick of commuting on that buzzy little thing . 

Screenshot_20220722-005654.png

5 hours ago, daveinlim said:

Maybe, but there's only one way to find out. 

Like ask the opinion of a load of experienced bikers on a forum ?  😂