The Harley Davidson section .

fastbob

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/11/2023 at 09:20, RideWithStyles said:

If i was gonna get a cruiser 🤔 id Prefer the Indian and Guzzi over the harleys myself.

If you look at it objectively you need a Suzuki or a Kawasaki because they are superior in every way . But if your heart rules your head you will get the real thing and learn to live with it . 

Polish_20231218_232925811.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 19/12/2023 at 06:45, Interference Fit said:

Anyone on here got a Sportster S or Sport Glide?

I had an 04 1200 R for a few years . Great bike , best of all worlds . Carb , twin discs , rubber mounted engine , tacho , big fins , 5 speed box .

Polish_20231021_105221066.jpg

On 19/12/2023 at 06:45, Interference Fit said:

Anyone on here got a Sportster S or Sport Glide?

I've just realised . By Sportster S you mean that new thing not the original Sportster S .

4 hours ago, fastbob said:

I've just realised . By Sportster S you mean that new thing not the original Sportster S .

Yes, the 2021 model.

I'm in the position of wanting a Harley from a bucket list perspective and I'm someone that gets Harley's and doesn't try to cross shop other brands on a spec sheet and hence I avoid all those discussions.

I've recently got my first big bike, a CBR650R, but as great as it is (ticking the 4 cyl, revvy, faired bike box) it's too cramped for my 6'4" frame and too 'intense' in it's area of USP - great at high revs, full attack, but not enjoyable pottering along in a 20 or 30 zone. I've no interest in speed, track days, getting a knee down or anything like that. I also have no interest in long distance touring, carrying a pillion, luggage capacity or tank range. 

I have no shame in admitting that one of the (very) important elements to any bike I own is it has to make me go 'phwoar' and feel bad-ass riding it so any decision will involve a huge element of personal subjectivity.

Having visited my local HD dealership many times in the last few months and sat on most of the models multiple times, the bikes that give me the fizz and feel comfortable to sit on are:

Sport Glide - the most comfy by far - feels like it was made just for me but would have to lose the panniers and fairing immediately - feels like a more useable Fat Boy?

Fat Boy - what my heart really wants (because Terminator 2, obs), but aware it might handle like a pig, scrape pegs and have a novelty that wears off very quickly as a result.

Fat Bob - maybe a good mix of the above, although something about the stubby styling I'm not 100% sure about around the rear fender area.

Sportster S - I adore the custom concept design but might be a bit too small for me and I've read endless complaints about terrible ride comfort and rear suspension which would irritate and put me off the bike after 50 yards.

I know the answer is to test ride them, but always good to hear non-youtuber reviews from owners who have spent their own money on a bike and can share honest opinions or to point out anything I've missed.

I prefer the price of the Sport Glide I must say and don't find the Street Bob or Softail standard comfy, nor do I like the look of the lowrider S front end fairing and instrument pod, so both are off the table. 

I'm biased of course but if you want to venture into the world of Harley Davidson then you would do well to be looking at a second hand Dyna Super Glide . People buy Harley's for a variety of reasons so there are plenty of ten year old bikes that are barely run in . A good place to start is anything from 2007 onwards because that's the year that they introduced hydraulic cam chain adjusters . 

Don't piss about with 1450s , go strait for a 1585 or a 1690 then you won't be riding around wondering " What if ? " 

Screenshot_20231230-195807.png

12 minutes ago, fastbob said:

I'm biased of course but if you want to venture into the world of Harley Davidson then you would do well to be looking at a second hand Dyna Super Glide . People buy Harley's for a variety of reasons so there are plenty of ten year old bikes that are barely run in . A good place to start is anything from 2007 onwards because that's the year that they introduced hydraulic cam chain adjusters . 

Don't piss about with 1450s , go strait for a 1585 or a 1690 then you won't be riding around wondering " What if ? " 

Screenshot_20231230-195807.png

Thanks - the only Dyna(?) I like the look of is the original A spec V-Rod from 2002-2006 as that gives me enough 'wow' factor for my own personal taste, but finding a cherished minter with original un-dinged, all original brushed aluminium airbox and non-corroded trim appears almost impossible. I like my bikes absolutely split mint as new/perfect so buying used is unlikely unless it's been a dry use only, low miles piece of art rather than a mode of transport for someone. 

That and the ones mentioned with the M8 are the only ones that I'm personally attracted to.

1 hour ago, Interference Fit said:

Thanks - the only Dyna(?) I like the look of is the original A spec V-Rod from 2002-2006 as that gives me enough 'wow' factor for my own personal taste, but finding a cherished minter with original un-dinged, all original brushed aluminium airbox and non-corroded trim appears almost impossible. I like my bikes absolutely split mint as new/perfect so buying used is unlikely unless it's been a dry use only, low miles piece of art rather than a mode of transport for someone. 

That and the ones mentioned with the M8 are the only ones that I'm personally attracted to.

Well just buy one then . Good luck . ( A V-Rod is not a Dyna by the way . ) 

5 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Well just buy one then . Good luck . ( A V-Rod is not a Dyna by the way . ) 

I saw the twin rear shocks and took an ignorant guess on the Dyna - I'm absolutely not knowledgable with HD. 

I'll need to ride some as from all the reviews, there is so much conflicting opinion it's difficult to assess what's what. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Interference Fit said:

I saw the twin rear shocks and took an ignorant guess on the Dyna - I'm absolutely not knowledgable with HD. 

I'll need to ride some as from all the reviews, there is so much conflicting opinion it's difficult to assess what's what. 

I've just told you what's what . Get a mint condition Dyna . The latest Harleys are so bland that you might as well get a Jap lookalike . They've got ABS , balancer shafts and even liquid cooling . They are assembled using  components from all over the world and can hardly be described as American . All they make now are Soft Tails that are , at best pretentious . But if you want to blow 15 to 20 grand on a new Harley then go ahead . But if you are buying one for the bike and not the brand name , a Dyna is where it's at . 

IMG_20230514_141428207_HDR.jpg

9 hours ago, fastbob said:

I've just told you what's what . Get a mint condition Dyna . The latest Harleys are so bland that you might as well get a Jap lookalike . They've got ABS , balancer shafts and even liquid cooling . They are assembled using  components from all over the world and can hardly be described as American . All they make now are Soft Tails that are , at best pretentious . But if you want to blow 15 to 20 grand on a new Harley then go ahead . But if you are buying one for the bike and not the brand name , a Dyna is where it's at . 

Thanks and all the best for 2024.

Edited by Interference Fit