Cheapest insurance

George

I set up an account on a comparison site..  it saves my details year in year out.  Makes it so much easier with 2 cars and 3 bikes.

Use it for everything except house insurance, where I use a good old fashioned broker.

Just cause they know the ins and outs.

I would try a broker for bike/ car insurance but the one I like won't do.

• 1 month later...

That's a lot. I'm 61, and fully comp insurance on a 2 year old MV Augusta 800cc is about £200. 9 years no claims (so probably £350 without ncb). 

It's common practice for companies to charge more the first year you're riding a bigger bike than before. When I went from a 500cc to a 1200cc, my insurance was crazy to begin with, but after that it settled down. Same thing happened when I had to say I'd gone from a 400cc to an 800cc.

The big factors are: where are you (insurance in London is crazy) and where's the bike kept (in a garage or shed is cheaper). It can work in weird way too: fully comp and can sometimes be cheaper than third party, and you can sometimes get a small reduction by increasing your annual mileage. 

But the easiest variable to change is the bike. Try putting different bikes and different engine sizes through and see what happens. I wouldn't be surprised if 600cc bikes come out a lot cheaper than litre bikes.