New to everything!

Tom H

Hey all, I'm Tom... I'm a new aspiring biker from North Wales...

I'm 25 and looking to get my first bike soon (love to hear any recommendations).

Got my CBT booked and I'm hoping to go straight for my A1 so I can ditch the pesky L-Plates...

Been looking at the Honda bikes, specifically the CB125R and the CB125F (still undecided). Love to hear people's opinions on various starter bikes and all the unknowns of Biker etiquette so I don't make a fool of myself! 😅

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tom H said:

Thanks haha but I don't think I'll be getting that nice or expensive of a bike for my first one! 😅

Probably a good idea. Lots of good first bikes out there. See how you get on with the training and have a think about style maybe. Some folks love a sports bike, other a cruiser, are you likely to tour, take a pillion, pose down the local biker meet, take a track day etc. After that you'll probably realise you need 7 bikes.  

7 bikes is probably the perfect number. 

Seriously though, take your CBT, and do direct access (DAS) to get your licence. You'll get a better idea of the kind of bike you're going to be happy with as you go through the training. Meanwhile, ask yourself what kind of journeys are you going to be doing - days out for larks, commuting, longer distances, summer only, all weathers? 

• Like 1

Don’t knock getting your CBT then a 125cc whilst you do your lessons/ test.  Then selling it for a bike you like.  Some will disagree but a little time on a 125cc helps it certainly doesn’t do any harm.
buy wise with the 125cc and you should not loose any money.

Don’t  forget to budget for gear.

I would agree with buying affordable for the first bike. At some point it might end up on its side, not necessarily when riding just a mistake somewhere.

When choosing your bigger bike,  remember allot/ most bikers change bikes like women change handbags.

• Like 1