Tyre changing tools

Mississippi Bullfrog

53 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I need new tyres and would prefer to be able to change them myself.

Those who do their own tyres, what tools do you use?  Any types of levers better than others?

Thanks.

Don't forget the balancing, plenty of vids on YouTube 😁

My setup..

Amazon - BTSKY Tire Levers Spoon Set of 3

Amazon - Johiux 44pcs Valve Core Remover Tool

Amazon - Haskyy 7 Wheel weights BLACK 12x5g

Ebay - Tyre bay direct black tyre bead paste - 5kg

Ebay - Qtech Motorcycle Motorbike Static WHEEL BALANCER Portable STAND

Ebay - TRIUMPH STATIC WHEEL BALANCER ADAPTER FOR TIGER EXPLORER & ROCKET 3 (extra large cones needed as back wheel attaches to single sided swing arm and has a large hub)

ScrewfixTitan TTB797CPR 24Ltr Electric Oil-Free Air Compressor with 5 Piece Accessory Kit (got a bit of stick on here for that one, but it works fine, just got to remember to leave the drain plug out) - also got a quick release kit for this to swap out the tools easily. It's also handy for applying XCP /ACF50 and other little jobs.

Wife - Hairdryer (don't tell her)

Using the spoons takes technique and force, but as with everything there's youtube.

Tried everything, including the local petrol station airline before getting the compressor, nothing worked.

Edited by Fiddlesticks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Stu said:

I am a bit of a sucker when it comes to tools. I have acquired all sorts of stuff over the years and that bit of kit is currently on a good discount.

However, in a couple of years I hope to retire which means moving to a smaller house with less garage space. So I need something that doesn't take up too much space. 

In the past I've bought Motion Pro stuff only to find it's made in China. Their bead breaker levers that sell for £75 are very similar to ebay tools at £25. 

1 minute ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I am a bit of a sucker when it comes to tools. I have acquired all sorts of stuff over the years and that bit of kit is currently on a good discount.

However, in a couple of years I hope to retire which means moving to a smaller house with less garage space. So I need something that doesn't take up too much space. 

In the past I've bought Motion Pro stuff only to find it's made in China. Their bead breaker levers that sell for £75 are very similar to ebay tools at £25. 

Mine sits snugly in a corner until I use it and it bolts on to the floor when needed 

No hassle putting it in place and bolting it down I use a 4 bolts of the type where you insert a sleeve with the bolt and the sleeve stays in place so it's a matter of just popping the 4 bolts in the holes and I use an electric impact gun to just literally nip them up job done 

You would have to pay £10 each wheel.

The cost of tools plus the time you will spend doing it makes me wonder if it is worth the trouble.

6 hours ago, husoi said:

The cost of tools plus the time you will spend doing it makes me wonder if it is worth the trouble.

To be honest I'd prefer to do it myself.  And it saves the hassle I've had ringing round and then people never getting back to me. 

And HMRC owe me £500. 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, husoi said:

One place bent my disc's costing my £350 so on that basis alone yes its worth it 

Also the amount of tyres I have changed its paid for itself and the time it takes to mess about getting the wheels and tyres to somewhere that can change them I could have changed them in 30 mins max