Any Cyclists With An Eye on Prices?

Tinkicker

Pulled the cycles out of the shed this morning and languishing at the back was the Wifey's Giant Cypress "hybrid" bike that I bough a few years ago for her birthday. 

Trouble is that she is the sort that would rather drive an old banger, rather than a new car and has not used it.  She always pulls out her Halfords Bike Shaped Object to ride.

I doubt it has done 10 miles from new.

Decided to put it on fleabay, but I am not a keen cyclist and really have no idea how to punt it. 

Anyone care to hazard a guess on a reasonable auction starting price?  I know it was over £500 when new.

It is not pristine, but not far off and I have taken pics for the ebay.  All I have done to it is pump the tyres and wash the dust and cobwebs off it.

52861472530_7858f4ed13_h.jpg

Protective film still on pedals

52861252779_95e13663d8_h.jpg

Paintwork is very good.

52861519543_300708380d_h.jpg

Again, protective film intact.

52861473820_7990614e5e_h.jpg

Zero brake wear and pips on tyres fully intact.

52861254469_d5cea6c523_h.jpg

Handlebars have fared less well.

52861471375_20760ec50b_h.jpg

Bit of shed rash on derailier.  Absolutely no idea how/

52861082791_ef76006258_h.jpg

It's an odd thing. A few years ago you couldn't give second hand bikes away. People want new or were only willing to pay pennies for a used bike. 

Sadly most people have the mechanical aptitude of an amoeba so they want a new bike to avoid problems. 

Then covid came along and the energy crisis and bike prices went through the roof. 

But used prices are still volatile. Its an older model even if it clearly as new condition.  Many non-cyclists want electric these days. 

Try it at £300 and be prepared to lower it if it doesn't sell. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tinkicker said:

Wow.  I was thinking maybe 75 quid.  Thanks MB.

If someone is looking for a new bike they might go for yours rather than shell out the full price for a new one. 

I only saw the photos on my phone so didn't see the rust pitting on the handlebars. If you can clean that off you'll do better. 

• Like 1

It is on the bay for £100.  This is at the lower end of the pricing of others which seem to be around £150 to £175, but nothing is getting bids.  The only one getting bids was started at £10.  I bet that will be broken for parts.

I am shocked at the prices asked for my old Voodoo Bantu mtb.  I was expecting them to be up for £40 or so, but many are in excess of £200... Shocking.

Edited by Tinkicker

Well.  Auction ended.  Zero interest.  It seems that entry level secondhand bikes are completely out of fashion again.  Nothing seems to be selling.

Maybe its the cold spring we are having.

Perhaps it is time her Halfords bike shaped object suffered some kind of mishap?  But no, I would be shooting myself in the foot.

I would be called out of the house to see her holding the bike.  Three words would fly across the ether.. "Broken - mend please".

Edited by Tinkicker
  • Sad 2

On 11/05/2023 at 18:48, Tinkicker said:

Well.  Auction ended.  Zero interest.  It seems that entry level secondhand bikes are completely out of fashion again.  Nothing seems to be selling.

Maybe its the cold spring we are having.

Perhaps it is time her Halfords bike shaped object suffered some kind of mishap?  But no, I would be shooting myself in the foot.

I would be called out of the house to see her holding the bike.  Three words would fly across the ether.. "Broken - mend please".

Was the same with my wife's old Giant hybrid which was mint condition. Went for £50 in the end but we needed the space. I think cycles are treated as throw away items now. Just lad a local guy service my bike its been on the road for years

And yet I was talking to a local guy who cycles daily round our village. He traded in his last bike and it's now been done up and is for sale at £180. It's an old entry level mountain bike with mismatched parts. 

Used bike prices are very inconsistent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

And yet I was talking to a local guy who cycles daily round our village. He traded in his last bike and it's now been done up and is for sale at £180. It's an old entry level mountain bike with mismatched parts. 

Used bike prices are very inconsistent.

For sale at and sold for are often very different numbers though.

• Like 1