Carburetor to fuel injection

Deano966

Probably possible but sounds like a lot of effort.

Ecu, loom,fuel pump,hoses, throttle body, injector, lambda sensor,other sensors, maybe tank and clocks.

Would need to be declared to your insurance as a mod, which would most likely put your premium up.

Have to ask, but why not just buy an EFI bike?

For my old GS it was a straight swap, the other way. from injection to Carbs. and people wanted to do it. early days for injection and people thought carbs were better. less to go wrong. same for removing the ABS, which I was reliably informed was positively dangerous on a motorcycle and a crazy idea. (and as it cost £800 as an option - madness)

thing was, my bike was originally designed to use carbs. but a last minute brainwave and they put in injection instead. so the original carbs the bike was designed to take simply slotted in. very easy. for a time you could even buy a kit. everything needed. 30mm Bing carbs if memory serves.

On more modern bikes this will very likely be problematic as the bike was never designed for injection so making it work, even if its possible. will not be easy.

Edited by Gerontious

Early Gpz1100 injection was a complete P.I.A and I remember swapping out the EFI for carbs with no regrets.

Mind you it was far from standard as it was snugly wedged into a Z650 frame and monoshocked lol.

Great fun and very much of it`s time wouldn`t consider it now.

Cheers

Ian

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

id agree with bianco and bender.

depends on guessing it will be a cable to throttle body with a simoke ecu just sorting the timing it sounds like the swap over year like with honda cbf125 that happened later to that model... could be done but really not worth it.

Carb housing to the block will be vastly different to a injection model so needing to mess around with mounts, Ecus, wiring, pumps, so much to do with little point of returns even just for boredom.

Only positives with early injection systems over carbs was not having to piss about with chokes, rest of the time they are soo crude compared to a carb!