Bike address and Insurance, the finer points.

onesea

So I have found a cracking little 50cc, for my daughter.  Insurance found (you can insure without a CBT) deposit paid, collecting tomorrow.

Keeping it a surprise it’s going to my work for a couple of weeks, until she has completed GCSE’s & CBT (that’s already booked for first day of access after GCSEs).

However her address for insurance, tax and registration.

Although mum has accepted daughter is getting a bike, she is not exactly thrilled.

My daughters driving licence is registered to her mums house it’s where she spends 2/3rds of her life.

The bike needs to be registered and insured in my daughters name. However I am not wanting to register bike at mums house.  Happy to put the insurance there, however registering the bike.

I would not put it past mum to use the bike as leaver-age, if you don’t give me more money I will sell it type stuff.

I know possession is 9/10 of law etc, however it’s probably to complicated for mum to sell when it’s registered to my address. Plus if she doesn’t hold the documents shes less likely to think about it.

So do you have to register a vehicle at your “home” address?

Google says no, but you have to insure it at your home address.

Any further input?

Edited by onesea

Plenty of people keep their vehicles in garages etc that are remote to their home address. Garages round the corner. Separate block. And so on. Probably best to talk to the actual insurers. They want your money. I’m guessing its more about where and how the bike is stored overnight than the actual address of the owner.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gerontious said:

They want your money. I’m guessing its more about where and how the bike is stored overnight than the actual address of the owner.

I would agree with all of this, particularly they want your money.

My experience of insurance companies when asked about unusual conditions:

• They can do (absolutely no problem),
  • Cannot do (an absolute NO, I should report you for even thinking about it),
  • We are going to charge an awful lot of money for that,

The decision seems arbitrary with little logic.

So on my reckoning I have 1 in 3 chance.

1 hour ago, Bender said:

If it's in relation to insurance it will just go of the risk involved with the Addy, my first bike lived at the in laws till I got my garage built was no difference in price.

Presently Swindon’s “online chat” is saying she cannot use the bike for commuting between her dad and mum.

However it would be insured for social domestic and commuting.

Edit to add I spoke to them in person and she has to decide if she wants to live with mum or dad.

She cannot live between both!

Edited by onesea

I'm not sure on your particular problem! Insurers are fickle and will do almost anything to get out of paying!

I have a friend/neighbour who lives in a terraced house, no garage/drive or off road parking!

His bike is registered to him but registered as being kept in my garage! We are the same post code though :scratch:

He's had several bikes over the years, all the same arrangement, I wrote a letter to his insurers years ago to confirm

@rennie in your case the bike is registered and kept by one person not on his home address, that’s not uncommon.

The problem appears to be the bike being kept at 2 different houses my daughter living between “2 homes”. Less than 2 miles apart however the bike will be kept regularly at one of 2 places.

She spends most of her time with mum, who is not exactly enthusiastic about bikes, so wants nothing to do with it.  

Given half an opportunity would sell it, in my daughters best interest of course.  Say for more important stuff, new shoes anyone?  There is history of this sort of thing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Plenty of people keep their vehicles in garages etc that are remote to their home address. Garages round the corner. Separate block. And so on. Probably best to talk to the actual insurers. They want your money. I’m guessing its more about where and how the bike is stored overnight than the actual address of the owner.

Nope it seems being separated parents is adding between £100 and £300 to the cost of the insurance.

Cheapest on price comparison, however you have to speak to person who then ramps price up or says they cannot help on this occasion.

Each call takes about 40 minutes, so no I have not got out on my own bike today.

Saving £200 from first quote makes it about £20 an hour saved 😳

Edit:
So £518 for first year but that includes brakedown and helmet and leathers for an extra £30 which I thought was good value.

That’s just £100 over the price on the comparison site, but will take that as the pleasure of being a divorced dad.

Trying to help his daughter.

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

At least it's possible. and £518 is a very good price considering some of the quotes we've seen in recent years for a first bike.. in the £1000s

It’s a 50cc hence the price, the hope is she keeps it upright for 12 months. Then she will have a years no claims before it goes 4 figure on a 125cc.

If she doesn’t I am fairly certain mum won’t let her ride again, so it’s down to her.

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

Scary insurance nowadays. When I started riding a standard moped policy was £5 fully comp and my first motorbike insurance was £28 as I recall. Also, back then it was based on cc only so 100cc was half the price of a 125cc. How times have changed.