Is it normal to downshift a motorcycle this way?

ihorator

I found on the internet the following way to downshift on a motorcycle without releasing gas: without releasing the gas (at the same time, you need to drive at not very high engine speeds so that they do not become very high later), you need to hold the clutch and select a lower gear. Is it ok to do this?

Not sure what you are trying to achieve. The general idea is to downshift and match engine speed so that the sudden difference between engine rpm and the speed of the rear wheel turning the drive system doesn't cause the rear wheel to lock.

If you simply drop a gear without balancing the throttle then the engine braking effect can lock the rear wheel leading to loss of control. Some bikes have slipper clutches to help prevent this.

• Like 1

I mean, if I'm riding a motorcycle and then holding the throttle like I was holding it (not lowering to 0), pushing the clutch and downshifting it will all be smooth, because in essence it is the same as throttle blipping, but slightly different version

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Not sure what you are trying to achieve. The general idea is to downshift and match engine speed so that the sudden difference between engine rpm and the speed of the rear wheel turning the drive system doesn't cause the rear wheel to lock.

If you simply drop a gear without balancing the throttle then the engine braking effect can lock the rear wheel leading to loss of control. Some bikes have slipper clutches to help prevent this.

If you pull the clutch in whilst still on the gas the revs will rise, drop a gear and you should be rev matched. I suspect easing off would be smoother but I don't see an issue. 

• 1 month later...

Agree with the others.

Yes it can...down once at very low revs without much skill to do a reasonable job, doing down two or more in reasonable succession without muscle memory to match what is needed makes it quicker but jirker and if the fewer cylinders you have the worst it will feel if you cant. The bigger the the two differences the harder. 

Get it wrong with too much throttle to match will jerk the bike forward , goes neutral drive to moderate positive drive to back down to neutral drive as it Slows down up with the drag of forces.

or defeating the object if not worse in the first place by suddenly and momentarily holding then suddenly having to speed back up like locking it up or part of the " backing it in" technic. goes neutral drive to high negative speed as engine is slower in speed, then has to speed back up to a neutral drive to match the speed of the bike it is going reducing friction drag as giving the drive shaft, slipper if it has one, clutch, chain, suspension especially the forks and tyre work harder than it had to the normal way.

So as long as the throttle matches with Drive for the revs, but just being smooth with the clutch in the first place is simpler, better, and far more forgiving to just the clutch alone even if you just get that wrong.