New chain on relatively new sprockets

jrayfield21

Im thinking of installing a different chain on my motorbike and I am just wondering if you always replace your sprockets when getting a new chain. My sprockets have about 8000 miles on them, would installing a new chain on them wear the chain more?

Chains and sprockets tend to wear together. It's as the chain stretches that the sprockets wear in sync. Hence you usually change both. 

If the chain hasn't worn then the sprockets may be OK to accept a new chain. At 8000 miles I'd change both. But put the old chain alongside the new one and compare length over the same number of links. If there's no difference you can probably get away with it. I suspect you will find the old chain will have worn in comparison to the new one, in which new sprockets will be needed.

15 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Chains and sprockets tend to wear together. It's as the chain stretches that the sprockets wear in sync. Hence you usually change both. 

If the chain hasn't worn then the sprockets may be OK to accept a new chain. At 8000 miles I'd change both. But put the old chain alongside the new one and compare length over the same number of links. If there's no difference you can probably get away with it. I suspect you will find the old chain will have worn in comparison to the new one, in which new sprockets will be needed.

Alright, thanks

Should be easy to see if the sprocket has worn, cos the teeth wear on one side more than the other and look a bit hooked.

• 3 weeks later...

If they are aluminium ones they will be worn, if steel ridden gently and kept on top of uve got a chance but Id agree with Bullfrog.

old wear on the Sprockets would imprint   early on chain and the chain will try to imprint on the sprockets as they try to seat there way into a space that has already done 8000...oldly think of it like old bus seats.

If thinking of installing a different chain just for the hell of it for forty or so quid might aswell do the sprockets.

If your just looking at the rear sprocket for wear guide, Don't. you need to look at the front aswell as it spins far faster, has contact with the chain a lot more often, has the direct force of the engine and pulling/flappin motion of the chain that little sprocket hidden away does....