Help with tyre choices

Angela Collen

Hi my restoration of my historic honda cb400nc superdream 1983 is moving along nicely, although the tyres look good,tread good and no signs of perishing,but the bike has sat for 10 years in a collection, so would I be best to renew and if so how do I know what size tyres to go for on my old bike? Any suggestions on brands these days, all changed since I had bikes in my youth! Appreciate your thoughts and experience

I would start with the user manual, usually tells you the tyre sizes.

Maybe you will find it here HONDA CB400 OWNER'S MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib

For brand I always use Bridgestone for the ST1300 as the bike doesn't like anything else.

For the shadow I got a Mitas tyre, newish kids on the block and cracking good tyres.

The guy who fitted a rear tyre on the Pan a few months ago suggested Continental as excellent tyres that he uses for racing.

They started on motorbikes and want to make a good impression.

I’ve just done a Google search and found this website. https://www.motorcycleproducts.co.uk/honda-cb400-nc-super-dream-1983-parts/2/8963?page=4

It I only looked through the first few pages to find tyres, but it looks like they have tonnes of bits. 

These tyres are the first ones I came across. There could be more/others in there with a proper look

IMG_9347.thumb.png.563e11db823450535877f48fcb35c6d2.png

IMG_9348.thumb.png.b99e7d28bf48096d4e0eccb23dac99a5.png

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Like 1

Whats already on the tyre wall of the bike will be a good start etc  120/70/17. You could look at just plugging in the bike into a tyre suppler like black circles etc.

There are hardly any bad tyres these days No tyre is the best as they are designed differently for different bikes, different ethos and to there markets putting very loosely.

In more detail Different carcasses, sidewalls, compounds, dtreads, different profiles.
what are y gonna use your tyres for? Summer? Winter? No rain with rain...
If you want a communicative tyre that will have to shout whats is going on (hard carcass) that will be dunlop and partly bridgstone. The less talking tyres are Michelins (soft carcass) and to a point pirelli.

Once you know what you are going to use it for and what each good point a manufacturer aims for you will find THAT tyre.

The thing about tyres is just very personal...

Ao to put it in perspective For me its Metzeler, pirelli and Avon and to a push michlin in that order.

michelins are good tyres especially in the wet (even there budget lowend tyres) and never let me down but just i dont know whats its doing so you need blind faith.

on the opposite end :

I really didnt get on with the bridgestones which came on the bike i have now, only one positive other than price was straight line braking. They were really harsh and plastic when cold (compound) and only work if the ambient temp was warm (15+) and you gave them loads of miles get in there working temp, lost count how many times ive had moments with them.

Now thats not to say they are bad tyres just wasnt what i was needing or for me.