Dasburg it is then

Pie man

So I have eventually got my sorry arse in gear. Booked 3 nights in Dasburg. Just need to find accommodation a couple of hours from Calais for the first day/night, oh and I need to book the tunnel. 

Celebrate Jonathon Simmons GIF by SWR3

• Like 2

Can recommend the ibis styles at petite foret, valenciennes. Very comfortable, free brekkie, easy parking, next to a small army base so there are men with guns watching over your bike, and loads of places to eat and a petrol station all within 400 yards.

Edited by bonio
  • Like 1

I have a 300 miler to Folkestone, I don't want to be setting of at the crack of dawn so I've booked a nice little Hotel in the centre of Bethune with secure parking, from the train its a leisurely 55 miles - 2hr non motorway ride to Bethune. :thumb:

• Like 1

On 24/08/2023 at 20:19, Pie man said:

I have a 300 miler to Folkestone, I don't want to be setting of at the crack of dawn so I've booked a nice little Hotel in the centre of Bethune with secure parking, from the train its a leisurely 55 miles - 2hr non motorway ride to Bethune. :thumb:

We're in Folkestone at the moment. 13 hours via the scenic route from Wirral. Kept having to stop for challenge 2023 tags, cups of tea and one pretty cool bike night.

IMG_20230825_191539_HDR.thumb.jpg.653212d9b22d5a6f144126dd791bcf4e.jpg

• Like 2

Dasburg has always been a very popular stopping off spot for us, using the Q8 petrol station on the Luxembourg side has become something of a tradition. because we are there during a normal working week (mon to fri) we don't ever have any problems. Its quite different at the weekend though. especially on a Sunday. Nothing major just something to be aware of.

The B410 is a very popular route to the eastern eifel and Nurburgring. and at weekends in particular is a favourite place for speed traps set up by the Polizei. so just be aware of this and keep an eye on your speed is all. They tend towards setting up near the final approach to the border, its a stunning stretch of road. anywhere between the border and Daleiden a fairly short stretch, but you will see why its targeted when you are there.

Screenshot2023-08-26at14_34_17.thumb.png.8c14068832107aa48d420137ff842340.png

I need to start planning a couple of routes/ride outs, must include brew and pastry stops . I'm only there midweek, so hopefully find some quiet roads. New Granddaughter means the wife is staying home. Time to try some new routes, I've stayed in Klotten and Kyllberg a couple of times, never ventured much into Luxembourg though. 

1 hour ago, Pie man said:

I need to start planning a couple of routes/ride outs, must include brew and pastry stops . I'm only there midweek, so hopefully find some quiet roads. New Granddaughter means the wife is staying home. Time to try some new routes, I've stayed in Klotten and Kyllberg a couple of times, never ventured much into Luxembourg though. 

Our favourite stop-off for coffee and cake is at Esch-sur-Sûre. not only is it a beautiful spot, almost any route there is stunning. in the heart of Northern Luxembourg.

Screenshot2023-08-27at16_13_58.thumb.png.10d0b58cb5c38767319573d9470b626e.png

As per the photo, turn right just before the entrance to the tunnel.. and park your bike anywhere on the right. You can't miss the cafe, which is up some steps and has an outside area. coffee and cake and take in the view.

Screenshot2023-08-27at16_09_39.thumb.png.432697744a59a81b211e1fd426f13a86.png

Here is a route map for Luxembourg.. with some of the best roads. though its difficult to find any road that aren't great. Unless cities are your thing, keep a wide berth of the capital. It seems that 90% of the entire population work there, maybe that's an exaggeration. but hey ho. During the day Northern Luxembourg is very quiet. with traffic suddenly appearing (as if by magic) from about 4:30pm as everyone heads home.

We will have 5 full days at neuerburg and its become something of a tradition to spend a full day in Luxembourg. to the point, I'm sure there would be howls of protest if we did not.

Luxembourg.pdf

Edited by Gerontious

Thank you @Gerontious. I have Esch-sur-Sûre on my list for coffee & Pastries. I will probably spend more time in Luxembourg on this trip, with the exception, I might have a ride over to Cochem, and then meander back along the river. The map has some good routes which I can add to the sat nav :thumb:

The Hotel has some good routes they can provide too.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Leaving on the 18th, its a long motorway ride to catch the train (300 miles), then a short non motorway ride down to Bethune for the night, then the next 4 days will be in and around the Eifel. Luckily there are many ideas stolen from the Eifel/Luxembourg 23 Tour. I will be visiting some places I've been before and some new places along the way in Luxembourg. Short break this year due to having the Canadians over earlier this year. Next year further afield for sure, need to get back to the Alps.  

Need to smuggle a few bags of Squashies sweets in the luggage 

Edited by Pie man
  • Like 1

We passed the Daytona (i assume you’re staying there) a few times as it’s en route to the Dasburg pont Q8.

we usually use the motorway past Lille. Tournai. Mons and Charleroi. Then after a few miles of the 411 south onto the old N4 and turn off just after Marche. Heading for La Roche and the Northampton - from there any route to the Dasburg Pont is a good one.

best services for food is at SPY. Always our lunch stop now. With about an hours dawdle before everything gets so much better. And once into Luxembourg - Glorious.

22 hours ago, Gerontious said:

We passed the Daytona (i assume you’re staying there) a few times as it’s en route to the Dasburg pont Q8.

we usually use the motorway past Lille. Tournai. Mons and Charleroi. Then after a few miles of the 411 south onto the old N4 and turn off just after Marche. Heading for La Roche and the Northampton - from there any route to the Dasburg Pont is a good one.

best services for food is at SPY. Always our lunch stop now. With about an hours dawdle before everything gets so much better. And once into Luxembourg - Glorious.

I thought I would give the Daytona a try, last place I stayed at in the area was http://www.mueller-kyllburg.de/ 

Once I land on French Soil, I don't intend touching the motorway. 

28 minutes ago, Pie man said:

I’ve considered that practically every year we’ve done this and sadly it’s just not practical and would mean a significant changes across the board. Plus a healthy dose of disciple. And I just can’t do that to people who are on holiday and already know exactly what to expect. Different when you only have to answer for yourself. Obviously. 

Edited by Gerontious

The beauty of solo travelling, but never alone, and I suppose travelling together requires compromise. I have changed my strategy this year due to a shoulder injury, last years trip to Normandy was a 550 mile slog on day one, this year I'm planning less miles and taking my time to include some sightseeing. only me to please I suppose.   

1 hour ago, Pie man said:

I thought I would give the Daytona a try, last place I stayed at in the area was http://www.mueller-kyllburg.de/ 

That's what I thought last year but my crossing of northern France quickly changed my mind. The terrain isn't really that interesting unless you're a fan of WW1 battlefields but more to the point there are loads of small villages with constantly changing speed limits. Took me 2 hours to cover 100 km. As I had another 300 to go I switched to the Autoroutes. Came back via Luxembourg and Belgium for a more interesting bimble.

27 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

That's what I thought last year but my crossing of northern France quickly changed my mind. The terrain isn't really that interesting unless you're a fan of WW1 battlefields but more to the point there are loads of small villages with constantly changing speed limits. Took me 2 hours to cover 100 km. As I had another 300 to go I switched to the Autoroutes. Came back via Luxembourg and Belgium for a more interesting bimble.

I usually hit motorway too, to get out of the boring Pas du Calais. On previous trips I have travelled from my home in the northwest UK to Klotten in Germany in a day, 640 miles in 13hrs, only stopping for fuel and refreshments and in doing so missed the boring Pas du Calais. Last year I did a 540m to Normandy in the day. This year is different for a number of reasons, one being due to my shoulder injury, I don't want to push it this year, so after the 300 mile UK motorway ride, I am only planning a 60 mile leisurely ride to Bethune, it might be boring, but, I'm in no rush. The following day will be a leisurely ride through Belgium and Luxemburg and Germany,  check in is after 1600hrs so no rush. 

• Like 1

In case it's helpful, here's a route I used last year from Calais to Bethune. For the last half hour, I took to the motorway, as the D roads become less and less interesting, but the first 45 minutes or so make for a nice run - very nice, considering its in the pas de Calais. 

Here's a preview

AIL4fc_rFjwUPBN5ldWZUu1cGncsUZ07-tiiVfAE1lKJvhSHqO4uxQasMPYjuo4DhahKqRGxwHjceZXtzMAryCX3xdLwBDyoLi_5LUW_yFMgW0lUBYKk3LYtphZTTu1HgfSRa2fezZ5Ek5XVmUTD6sjJxE1XbUffNl-nQzRrkxOov4OLlsLAYIp5A3VImzFQnzfQSjmGEl8v8gUtDn2CyA987eQEPkTJMLoY82TggFakfAhaL6sYDlOHdwmzqoi9aTq8KcCjmXhfHZjVCSDM_YW7qCYrabEJfop8E2yffBrnRR4hNLj9jMjIMLV1oi__KNTmHL2hYEkJDBooQoaZQrNyITNimXRKhYPYkoCBI2LYWnPzeUEKyKDlYVI2q6P4qnswIiof5e-N7e8yKBnzIDLLIVZIdeJnOb0GQAc2gVma_t91n6Mr681CdkWBsz075Lq6UZYKBiTa6YLv6u5OgVm6H7-CeCpMU7fgaSWQNwroHDG3qEifDcYtR8CeA7qqSHfjB19RhUP_bJepRN51b0RvVtgeO6FlSUryueLvHz3VUjT2Wk1Zd4TauOEhnI8wvT1UkhjXud-Q--PtLkR3c9EEToFMnwKAaoqVyKQIGfiowHHmG24rB8PbbiYoEtl3wqdbh4MBYxDWiyt_VEQGTzqT57uTsdUqT5Pwni7nykjho5PYnad3AruIN_cjBQnmXiRtoM3rtdhI2XaCUUYCmza27LsH8X3034Vq52ql5VARkn9kxqu-MP7iLMSxzovlvQaOKO3LkYYzDpEiwap5_Om9jUVud1nPvR5Wx34WcflVMPV_QXcm4IU5Ozmzai2FCuqwwhoM4YpzjwcED0BJkYcUPEYP3RxvTBttZBYnlCDSbCY4gzPRI9wV-qonLczL-zOSQxX1amR2PQhIuitbf1buiOo=w1872-h863-s-no?authuser=0

• Like 1

I've got a 130 mile ride into Belgium when I get off the chunnel, again this is just to get away from the Calais area. My ride to the tunnel is slightly shorter at 270 miles.

What time train are you booked on ?. I'm booked on the 12.50 but hoping to get there early and get an earlier crossing 🤞

32 minutes ago, Yorky said:

I've got a 130 mile ride into Belgium when I get off the chunnel, again this is just to get away from the Calais area. My ride to the tunnel is slightly shorter at 270 miles.

What time train are you booked on ?. I'm booked on the 12.50 but hoping to get there early and get an earlier crossing 🤞

What day of the week are you crossing/arriving at Neuerburg?

Edited by Gerontious

12 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Monday/Tuesday 👌

Ok, well this is one of our usual routes from the N4 to the Hotel. via the Northampton at La Roche and the Q8 at Dasburg pont. The final run into Neuerburg down Falkenuel the K189 is glorious. it will deliver you to the Guest-house on the street behind the Main hotel. if that's where you are staying. I guess Dani or Herbert will let you know about any other details pertaining to your arrival.

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 11.32.16.png

Road to Pestalozzistraße 6.GPX

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1