Budget camera, second hand?

I love to rent bikes when travelling to sightsee, but I would like some POV footage.. 

I'm not looking for a top notch camera to make youtube videos, but still want quality footage. 

I'm considering a second hand GoPro camera, preferably (but not necessary)  with 4k capabilities. 

I'm not very updated on the camera tech stuff, would love some advice :D

Later GoPros have better image stabilization. I had a GoPro 9 Black; it was on a stalk that attached to a RAM ball on the steering yoke, so it shook like crazy. But the images were 100% steady.  

I used to run it from the bike's USB and it would run all day without any battery worries. 

Edited by bonio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are also some cheaper substitutes for the GoPro. I don't know what your limit is (budget) but there are things like: INNOVV H5, Akaso V50X, Garmin Virb X...

Whatever you decide, please share the experience with us! :) Is it worth buying, pros/cons...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 24/10/2023 at 13:55, Smighty said:

@Duplex did you manage to test it? What the results are? :) 

The footage was very good quality 👌 Gopro 6 was more than enough for me 😊

Had it mounted on a chest strap, didn't notice any vibration on footage 😊 

Would prefer a helmet mount POV, but can't use a permanent solution when renting helmets..

Sorry for very late reply 🙈

• 2 weeks later...

Got pissed off with my camera never being on when something happens due to the batteries being too weak, so I have bought a GoPro Hero 12. I got a 15% student discount which softened the blow.

I may be able to extend that discount to anyone here who's interested. Let me know.

• Thanks 1

I used to power my GoPro from the bike's USB port. Like that it would run all day long, no worries about the batteries.

I had to swap the battery door out for one that allows the USB cable to be inserted, which meant it was no longer waterproof - fine in a shower, but not in a downpour. I wasn't interested in recording stuff the rain, so it worked for me.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...