Benelli or Royal Enfield?

Angela Collen

Hi all, biking friend after hernia surgery wants to downsize to 350 or 400, he's tested Benelli imperiale 400 2023 and Royal Enfield classic 350 2023, both he liked and having trouble deciding, both new seem similar price, any thoughts or experience with these bikes? He's retired and isn't commuting anymore, just Sunday ride outs, or have you any other suggestions, thanks for your time

Thanks MB, that's really helpful, will pass it on, I've only ever had my honda's, but he wants new, will advise test drive to feel quality and superiority over others, your experience is greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time, have good evening MB

My concern with these sorts of brands is always servicing in the future.  This is not really an issue with the 4 Japaneses brands.Triumphs and BMW. it can be a bit of a problem - especially where spares are concerned with some Italian brands. despite the name, Benelli is Chinese and obviously (or not) Enfield is Indian. Maybe less of an issue for Enfield as they have a lot of dealers around the country. But Benelli? eyes wide open with that brand. And all Chinese brands.

• Like 2

Thanks for your views Gerontious, you make some good points to consider, didn't realise the Benelli was actually Chinese, look nice but short term really, he wanted new so parts not an issue, if he likes the Triumph seems like it's worth the extra, you can't beat quality, appreciate your help and expertise 

Totally agree on the servicing - and the Enfield network is established and growing so I don’t think there’s issues there. 

Id argue about relative quality vs Triumph. When I was looking at the Bobber all the demonstrators displayed unacceptable levels of corrosion - as did the version of the 1200 Tigers before mine. 

The one thing against the Enfield is its weight. I wouldn’t have thought that’s the kind of thing a hernia guy wants to lump around - and it really restricts its poke. 

If I were going for a 400 it’d be an old Suzuki DR or a Honda CB grey import. But then most people have far more sense than I do. 

The Suzuki DRZ is amazing: light, agile and hilarious. But the small tank range and a butt unfriendly seat mean it's not ideal for touring or even for all day riding.

Thanks Mawsley and Bonio, you both have thrown some great bikes into the mix, yes weight is very important factor with his hernia and so I thought Enfield wouldn't be right for him,but his choice, with it being winter there's no rush for him to make a quick decision, though you do get some good deals now, but with most big brands parts seem to be quite easy to get, so don't think it necessarily has to be brand new, i can easily get parts still for my 40 year old honda, so good to look at other aged bikes, will pass on all your advise, thanks for your help as always

Depends on how long your planning to own the bike and which way ur paying for it?

Royal endfield engine production is made in a proper upto date and super clean factory, most modern of any manufacturer. Now the dealer network is quite good too, only slight blips are shorter service intervals than anyone else and the odd part/component not as good or nice looking as the rest of the bike which may or maybe not bother you but its reasonable price point. Interest will be higher but residual will be better than benelli, but no where near triumph. 

Benelli as pointed out before is Italian designed so they look really pleasing but manufactured in china, they still have some more steps to make decent progress in manufacturing to other brand's quality.

there is sort of a dealer network but its really lacking, parts are by boat from manufacturer as the dont have a distribution centre even in Europe, so delays of many weeks if not months for simple parts to be expected, and dont be surprised if its both electric and mechanical problems. Benelli will suffer with very poor residuals.

Triumph are probably the safest bet for longer term of ownership.

interest will be middling but residual will be the best out of the three.

Thanks RWS, you always add something good and worth considering,  will pass it all on to my friend, they all look good, so after service and how a bike lasts is most important, thank you for taking the time to comment,hope your  having a nice day 

• Thanks 1

Ducati scrambler sixty2 is 400 a2 class.
Costs abit more and interest may not be lower but Well made, looks nice, dealer network is good, residuals are strong. service intervals are decent, the the big service will cost abit more than the others but will only need it half or 3/4s less often than the RE so over the longer term will cost less.

If his heart is ok then the new ducati mono will do the trick! 🤪 Lol seriously don't suggest that...

Edited by RideWithStyles

Thanks RWS, for another great option, forgot about how many services new bikes need, good to take into consideration, i'm glad there's plenty of time till spring, i foresee lots of test rides and coffee shops till we get a winner!! 

• Thanks 1

Servicing: Triumph is expensive and my Enfields were borderline criminal. 

In comparison, the 8000miler on my Africa Twin is going to be around £150. Cheaper than all three of the above. 

Might be worth checking that out before purchase. 

Cost, higher labour, inflation on products bought in that the manufacture with insist they use that will already have a inflation price on which might include oil, filters etc, insist on using unnecessary kit that the dealer has to buy in and forward that cost to the customer...

A good independent dealer if you can find one for your brand of choice is a very good option...essential if you ownered an Italian vehicle-  has connections, networks, cheaper but if they know a product is questionable as they can skirt around any manufacturer bs if they know what is actually better to use...this is a common thing with car and more recently motorcycles dealers to get the best out of the vehicle ownership without risking using a unknown garage.

That is a grey area....some still fight.

The car manufacturers fought to protect their interests and dealers in the car world having a clause in purchase that if you didn't use their dealers to service its warranty was void straight out or at least yourd have a real fight for it...which the courts ruled wrong but left it be that if the garage was vat registered, used manufacture approved products that were to the same specifications as oem and fitted to their WSM then there is nothing stopping you claiming but as usual the bike world didn't get that memo and most recently triumph tried its best with customers.

To be honest he's only need to service a few times (unless its an RE doing 3500mls plus py) until the warranty ends in a couple of years so its no real hardship unless you going through the pcp circus, Which case it might still be best keeping it in the network for best price return with as little faffery as possible.
If hes keeping it as the last bike he plans to own then just find a good independent or trusted local mechanic and tell them to keep it to dealer spec until the warranty expires then do as you please.