Bike collection/transport

Geordie Oldie

As I mentioned in my newbie thread, I am looking for a project for the winter.

I am looking at bikes that need stuff doing local to me, got my eye on a Fazer about 10 miles from where I live.

Used Shiply ( which I had never heard of until this morning) to get some quotes, one guy wants 442 quid! It's an hour's work, 2 hours tops.

Best quote I have had is £156 and I still think that's steep, but maybe I am a bit out of touch tight git?

I could hire a van but it's getting the bike in that might be a problem.

Cheapest option would be take of the wheels, tank seat and forks and put the frame and engine in the back of my lasses Skoda Yeti, but I am not sure it wil fit, might be too tall, anyone ever done something similar?

I think that's steep but, what day are you trying to get it? December is a Xmas month so they might be upcharging. 

If you get a plank and some straps, you can rent a van and put the bike in there. Roll it on the plank into the van.

Don't you know anyone with a towbar that could help?

Cost about £50 for half a day and you could wheel it straight on. No need to strip it down, which sounds like a nightmare to me, no getting the missis car filthy.

Anyway food for thought, good luck with it, Fazer as good as anything to play with.

20 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

I'd go with the£156 quote. 

Although it's just a couple of hours, it's 1/2 a day, or even a whole day that the transporter has to put to one side to do the job. 

They don’t just transport 1 at a time they wait until they have a few to do a milk round, took a month from ordering to delivery last time I used a service like that.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Mickly said:

They don’t just transport 1 at a time they wait until they have a few to do a milk round, took a month from ordering to delivery last time I used a service like that.

Whaaaaaaaat, that's awful. 

Even if you got it in the car i can still se it difficult to keep it steady without it smashing a window out.

ten miles away, is it pushable? be a proper cheap, Get a work out and save 150plus.

have you asked a local bike mechanic that has a van? Quiet at this time of year....

49 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Even if you got it in the car i can still se it difficult to keep it steady without it smashing a window out.

ten miles away, is it pushable? be a proper cheap, Get a work out and save 150plus.

have you asked a local bike mechanic that has a van? Quiet at this time of year....

I am 62 and hoping to make 63.

I won't be pushing it.😄

Edited by Geordie Oldie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Geordie Oldie said:

Been thinking, I can hire a van with a tail lift for four hours, 50 quid I think it is.

Checked on tail lifts and they are good for 500 kilos.

That's an excellent idea for when I need to transport my 2 babies 🙂