Installed tail tidy with flashers - right side indicator doesn't work

peepae

Hi all,

I think this might just be the actual indicator but in case I'm doing something wrong maybe it's me.

I installed a tail tidy with indicators on my 2017 tracer 700, indicator left works fine, front and back - on the right side the indicator only works on the front but doesn't work on the back. Indicator does show on the dash that it's on too. 

I changed the left to the right connection and vice versa and then both left and right back indicators didn't turn on.

I had a relay included but don't know where to install it, and if that really matters if only 1 side doesn't work?

Any ideas? - I did e-mail the ebay seller already 🫡

Edited by peepae

Don't quote me but I think LEDs work a bit like Christmas tree lights and the leccy has to flow in a certain direction. I hate electrics it fries my tiny brain.

One thing l can tell you for sure, on the xsr forum, nearly all the leccy problems come from fitting aftermarket goodies, especially led's.

The relay? Dont you mean resistor?
It should only need the resistor adding if the bike didn't have leds to start with but filaments bulbs.

If it had old school bulbs in the system will be putting out too much power to the lights so it will go too fast, very unlikely but possible to blow the leds out if its a cheap set on a high power flow rate. Each light will generally need one resistor before the bulb but after and splits to left/right sides etc And if you somehow put two resistors to a bulb they probably won't work.

if the resistor isnt wired correctly it will as nick said wont flow correctly and not allow power through. Resistors work one way, also colour coded says what rating and how much of a drop through it but generally dont work reverse.

Edited by RideWithStyles

Without some pics (which we really love) it's hard to say.

For the sound of it the right indicator have the + and ground wires wrong.

LED's are polarity sensitive while normal filament can be connected either way.

6 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

The relay? Dont you mean resistor?
It should only need the resistor adding if the bike didn't have leds to start with but filaments bulbs.

If it had old school bulbs in the system will be putting out too much power to the lights so it will go too fast, very unlikely but possible to blow the leds out if its a cheap set on a high power flow rate. Each light will generally need one resistor before the bulb but after and splits to left/right sides etc And if you somehow put two resistors to a bulb they probably won't work.

if the resistor isnt wired correctly it will as nick said wont flow correctly and not allow power through. Resistors work one way, also colour coded says what rating and how much of a drop through it but generally dont work reverse.

Sorry for contradicting you. However, diodes are the ones that only work one way.

Same with some capacitors.

Resistors, on the other hand don't have a polarity.

• Thanks 1

Anyway sounds like either-

it's a faulty unit of the light or reducer did you not test them before full final installation?

made a bit of a boob with fitting it?which is very easy to do to be honest.

or possibly cut, trapped or pulled out the connection wire somehow?

did you just use the typical cheap nasty bullet clips? bodged the oem to what ever came or did you removed them to diy your own connections or hard wired together soldering?

Edited by RideWithStyles

1 hour ago, RideWithStyles said:

Anyway sounds like either-

it's a faulty unit of the light or reducer did you not test them before full final installation?

made a bit of a boob with fitting it?which is very easy to do to be honest.

or possibly cut, trapped or pulled out the connection wire somehow?

did you just use the typical cheap nasty bullet clips? bodged the oem to what ever came or did you removed them to diy your own connections or hard wired together soldering?

5 hours ago, husoi said:

Sorry for contradicting you. However, diodes are the ones that only work one way.

Same with some capacitors.

Resistors, on the other hand don't have a polarity.

18 hours ago, Copycat73 said:

are you mixing LED.. and incandescent bulbs ?  

18 hours ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Don't quote me but I think LEDs work a bit like Christmas tree lights and the leccy has to flow in a certain direction. I hate electrics it fries my tiny brain.

One thing l can tell you for sure, on the xsr forum, nearly all the leccy problems come from fitting aftermarket goodies, especially led's.

I'm not mess with wires, I just used what came which was like these ones: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/795128?glCountry=GB&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiApuCrBhAuEiwA8VJ6JjA2E2vtVaSxbSUDgSG1-3AKr5dPPBmiiQB6BWUeLfSniZ-I-8FUfBoCmegQAvD_BwE

Seller has sent me a new right indicator after explaining what I did so I'm assuming he agrees it's faulty.

19 hours ago, peepae said:

What does the wire and cut mean? It was all plug and play.

I was asking if maybe a wire was stuck/trapped by accident between metal parts and the metal may have cut through the wire without you noticing.

You may have a connection the wrong way around?

33 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

I was asking if maybe a wire was stuck/trapped by accident between metal parts and the metal may have cut through the wire without you noticing.

You may have a connection the wrong way around?

I tried it every other way, moved the cables around, also changed the cables from the left indicator the right one and switcheroo'ed em but nothing changed - could be possible I accidentally trapped the wire somewhere but I wouldn't know where really

Edited by peepae

if they are LED indicators you need to fit resistors inline to the positive feed to the indicator not the earth wire, this stops overload, as the bike has a 12 volt system and sends a certain amount of current to the indicator as its LED it uses far less than is being sent which results in an overload, this will cause it to flash far too fast or be constantly on, many LED replacement indicators have resistors built into them but the cheap Chinese ones don't, I fitted LED indicators to my Honda TL as one had a broken stem,after fitting the LED indicators from ebay (£12) one side worked great but on the other side one indicator was on all the time and the other one flashed far too fast, I thought I might have wired them in the worg way round, positive instead of negative etc but I hadn't so I switched back to 12 volt bulb indiactors and the problem was solved, the thougth of soldering in four resistors and weather sealing them didint appeal to me so it was back to ebay for some 12 volt bulb indicators (£25)

Does anyone want four Chinese made none resistor-type indicators, free to good home l0l. . . they look great but don't work, some new bikes with LED indicators have the resistor fitted inline and some have the resistor fitted inside the indicator so fitting replacements is a bit hit and miss, two resistors can lower the current too much so the light is dim, to be honest the 12-volt bulb indicators are brighter and when they do blow if they ever do are a lot easier to change, LED bulbs get dimmer with time conventional bulbs don't,

12v bulb.jpg

12v led's.jpg

Edited by SICKS6SIX
spelling mistakes & upload a photo
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Easy fix.. and the reason your LED indicators don't work is your set up on a loop you need diodes

for got to say you will need a digital indicator relay

Edited by Vic101