Until I put my deposit down a few weeks ago, and then started looking at all things bike, I'd never heard of anyone using ear plugs. 

I was thinking, "why on earth wear ear plugs, just enjoy the sound of the bike, and also, also, surely it'll be be safer if you can hear other road users?". 

Well, where did all that freaking wind noise come from? Even at 60Mph.

I don't remember that at all. 

I'm now considering ear plugs, but at the same time, I want comm's in the summer. 

Yep, ear plugs are an essential and your choice is massive. Cheap foams ones do the job but for whatever reason they tend to irritate my ears. The silicon type are better for me and 'Loop Quiet' are my current favourites. I've never tried custom made ones, others swear by them but they are expensive. The bottom line is you pay your money and take your choice, but if you value your hearing there isn't an I'm not wearing them choice.

You know that saying about old pilots & bold pilots, it could easily be adapted to motorcyclist who did or didn't wear earplugs.

EDIT:- As S-W said coms work fine with earplugs, just turn the volume up a bit.

Edited by Capt Sisko

Yep capt is correct.

though really its down to the individuals body make up. Ear canal width, depth, straight, curved, how much hearing loss is already evident and what frequency they are, helmet and bike design frequencies they dampen or artificial enhance through wind, noise and vibrations..., speeds etc. 

the higher the SNR number the better but that doesn't always tell the whole story of what it doe reduce and where in the range of frequencies it hits those high numbers of reduction or even if that is what you really require for you hearing.

foamy positives:

generally do a better job of staying in and fitting to your ear.

cheap

throw away cleanse.

If you know or geeky enough they come in many varieties of sizes, shapes, dampening 

characteristics.

better damping out the noise but have a muffled effect that some dont like.

negatives:

The expanding can pressure the ear canal too much and give grief if poorly chosen.

but as like with may things they aint all the same and not any particular one is the very best for everyone, more often you need to try many before you find the ones that work.

higher waste.

Stiff filtered Silicone like pinlock or auritech which was the best of their type https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/209932 

positives:

Can be reused many times and cleaned if with care. So less waste

Wide range damped out but Some noise is allowed through.

Quite a few people skin is better with certain slicones.

negatives:

cost more.

not as good at dampening out but for some people that might be better.

can hide micro bacteria and gunk,

ear infections are more likely.
if you lose one you're less likely to have spares then the chances of having to ride without defeating the purpose.

they are affected by vibrations so they can transmit this to tour hearing so damage could come through this if not careful.

there are quite a few of these types on the market and most are completely trash for motorcycle use but people market them for such even though really they are for lower grade use like small concert or sleeping.

ears can sweat and chaf with the use of these with individuals which and make ichy or sore.

Wax or soft set ear plugs... https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/99662 pretty much the worst with very little of no benefit.

now ive tried all types and many many makes now as i said not one is the very best that everyone has to buy as due to requirements and preferences so i'll say i found Howard Leight Laser Lite soft foam earplugs - SNR 35db (30 Pairs) the best for me as compromise,i have small canals so they aint too big, they expand reasonably, shaped to help insert and take out, the material is pretty good to at not annoying my skin, damps out do good deal, cheap as chips especially if you get the bigger packs, easy to find in pockets and to stuff in small carry cases.

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 1

I wear ear plugs any time I know I'm going to be doing over 50mph. Above that my ears hurt. 

Commute an hour into central London on motorway and any time I've forgotten to put them in it's not very nice on my lugs.

I've been using eggz for the last year and have no complaints. 

• Like 1

I have been using custom moulded earplugs for many years.  The shape and size of my ear canal means that any off-the-shelf ones never work. 

There are different types of material used for the custom ones.  I prefer the softer ones (Starkey).  Anywhere that does hearing aids should be able to sort you out if you find normal earplugs don't work.

I wear mine all the time unless I am just nipping into town in 30/40mph limits for 10 or 15 minutes.

Keith

Ive never bothered with custom nor mentioned it cos so few people bother.

i know my ear canals change alot so they won't fit half the time and there is no give in them to allow changes, also ive heard others have similar issues but if your one of the few that don't change ever then they are a very good option but Expensive if they don't work for you.

Your helmet is also a key factor and with a chin blocker thingy - some Schuberth are almost as quiet without earplugs as an AGV with ear plugs for example. 

I use the Alpine Motosafe ones and have used those on my 125 for 3 years and use them now too - replace about every 8-9 months if they get yellow lol

• Like 1

Twice in one day I’ve commented about these 😁

Id say try individual pair packs of plugs to see if you get on with any of them, then go for an industrial unit’s worth to get them for as low a price as possible.

This is the one I love.

IMG_7510.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've tried a couple of this type but found the stick out end used to pull them out rubbed the foam cover of my speakers inside my helmet. Bloody annoying to say the least..

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/209932

My current favourites are these as they have a flat pulling out tab and come with several sized of the cone bits (or whatever the technical term is so you can get the perfect fit.

https://www.loopearplugs.com/products/quiet

Note, don't bother with their safety lanyard. It isn't elastic enough and gets stuck under your collar. When you turn you head to look behind you, the lanyard pull on the earplug and breaks the seal. You've them got a choice of do I stop, take of the gloves and al that phaff or put up with it. Bottom just don't buy it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mawsley said:

Twice in one day I’ve commented about these 😁

Id say try individual pair packs of plugs to see if you get on with any of them, then go for an industrial unit’s worth to get them for as low a price as possible.

This is the one I love.

IMG_7510.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Capt Sisko said:

I've tried a couple of this type but found the stick out end used to pull them out rubbed the foam cover of my speakers inside my helmet. Bloody annoying to say the least..

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/209932

My current favourites are these as they have a flat pulling out tab and come with several sized of the cone bits (or whatever the technical term is so you can get the perfect fit.

https://www.loopearplugs.com/products/quiet

Note, don't bother with their safety lanyard. It isn't elastic enough and gets stuck under your collar. When you turn you head to look behind you, the lanyard pull on the earplug and breaks the seal. You've them got a choice of do I stop, take of the gloves and al that phaff or put up with it. Bottom just don't buy it.

Thanks guys

I also use eggz - having tried many different types and brands. But ear plugs are a very personal choice. What works for one won't for another.

Yes, helmets make a difference. But they aren't the key thing. I have a Schubeth and a cheap Caberg Duke 2. The Schuberth is quieter but I still wear plugs with it. The two biggest things are the bike itself and wearing something around your neck to stop the air buffeting the bottom of your helmet.

For example - my Caberg Duke 2 can be just as quiet as the Schuberth if I put a scarf around the base of the helmet.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I also use eggz - having tried many different types and brands. But ear plugs are a very personal choice. What works for one won't for another.

Yes, helmets make a difference. But they aren't the key thing. I have a Schubeth and a cheap Caberg Duke 2. The Schuberth is quieter but I still wear plugs with it. The two biggest things are the bike itself and wearing something around your neck to stop the air buffeting the bottom of your helmet.

For example - my Caberg Duke 2 can be just as quiet as the Schuberth if I put a scarf around the base of the helmet.

My snood arrived today!!

Slightly off topic,  but I think the dangers of hearing damage should be highlighted at CBT and training lessons. 

I was unaware of it until I bought my first 125cc and took it home 20 miles along the North Circular and A13. Ears were ringing at the end of the journey and haven't stopped since.

• Like 4