Used bike with high number of owners - an issue?

I will just chip in for what it`s worth.

My first Harley was a 2011 Dyna Custom which I liked very much but I then had the chance to upgrade to a 2019 Fatboy.

So I sold my Dyna @fastbob from here and bought the fatboy.

The milwaukie 8 engine with a stage 2 tune was brutal and great fun ! However I loved the bike from the headstock back, The front end was woeful,  As @fastbobwouldnt let me buy my old bike back  I traded it for a 2008 Dyna lowrider with only 1.5 k miles from new so I am happy again.

Cheers 

Ian

8 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

I will just chip in for what it`s worth.

My first Harley was a 2011 Dyna Custom which I liked very much but I then had the chance to upgrade to a 2019 Fatboy.

So I sold my Dyna @fastbob from here and bought the fatboy.

The milwaukie 8 engine with a stage 2 tune was brutal and great fun ! However I loved the bike from the headstock back, The front end was woeful,  As @fastbobwouldnt let me buy my old bike back  I traded it for a 2008 Dyna lowrider with only 1.5 k miles from new so I am happy again.

Cheers 

Ian

Health to enjoy! 👍

On 12/01/2024 at 20:53, Interference Fit said:

I've been looking at some older and more rare bikes recently and one in particular has caught my attention - the major stumbling block for me is that as a 2006 bike with 11k miles (with full dealer history), it is on it's 8th owner.

A small part of me thinks that once at a certain age, you should just judge the bike at face value and who cares how many owners it has.

A larger part of me thinks that if the ideal scenario for a used bike is to buy from the original owner, each and every owner after that is a step further away from that ideal and on that premise, my onward sale of the bike as the 9th owner with the next buyer contemplating being the 10th owner could significantly impact the ease of sale and potentially it's value.

I appreciate that onward sale and future value is not important to everyone, but it is to me as I never keep cars/bikes for long so being able to recoup most of that spent is important.

Would 8 owners put you off or is it just me?

If it is in really good condition, with lots of evidence of servicing and care and it has been traded as people try to make a profit on it because of its rarity, then no. Otherwise, yes.

• Like 1

I heard a dealer suggest that sometimes more owners than average isn't necessarily bad. When buy something new to them they tend to be enthusiastic about it a look after it. 

So better 8 enthusiastic owners than 2 that have got bored with it and neglected it. 

6 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I heard a dealer suggest that sometimes more owners than average isn't necessarily bad. When buy something new to them they tend to be enthusiastic about it a look after it. 

So better 8 enthusiastic owners than 2 that have got bored with it and neglected it. 

There is that I guess, but that also carries the counter argument that more owners means more deferred maintenance. 

On reflection, I'll stick to one or two enthusiastic and meticulous owners - best of both scenarios. 

• Like 1