Used bike with high number of owners - an issue?

I've been looking at some older and more rare bikes recently and one in particular has caught my attention - the major stumbling block for me is that as a 2006 bike with 11k miles (with full dealer history), it is on it's 8th owner.

A small part of me thinks that once at a certain age, you should just judge the bike at face value and who cares how many owners it has.

A larger part of me thinks that if the ideal scenario for a used bike is to buy from the original owner, each and every owner after that is a step further away from that ideal and on that premise, my onward sale of the bike as the 9th owner with the next buyer contemplating being the 10th owner could significantly impact the ease of sale and potentially it's value.

I appreciate that onward sale and future value is not important to everyone, but it is to me as I never keep cars/bikes for long so being able to recoup most of that spent is important.

Would 8 owners put you off or is it just me?

If you aren't planning on having it for long I can certainly see why you would be worried about reselling with that many owners.  It starts making you think " Well what's wrong with it? " :sad:

• Like 1

Can be people convinced themselves that it is the correct bike for them (change of bike category or bucket list etc) when really it isn't (u and ur bike for example 🫣) , maybe just a change for changes sake like you probably do with your cars???
and change the bike again especially as its a niche bike.

Maybe things were a deal breaker? Positon, tyres, parts, maybe they just really didn't like it or just that waa the last bike before deciding not to bother riding anymore...

well your gonna have to get face about priority, if you go for a older bike its gonna more likely to have a few owners but you bought something that would have lost loads of depreciation previously anyaway so as long as you dont get giddy and over pay for something youll barely lose much money.

if a bike had a massive stack of history and was much loved bike in good nick at a attractive price but had 50k plus miles- is that a breaker? For some its not even a negative...
If it didnt have loads of owners but sat in a garage fir 10years, did it get a proper hibernation and was it brought back to commission correctly? Does it still have problems? Some bikes prefer running than storage.

ive had bikes from different manufacturers, ages, owners, history, their all unique in for different reasons and each would have different draws and breakers for any buyer...just make sure you make the correct choice for you.

Edited by RideWithStyles

17 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Can be people convinced themselves that it is the correct bike for them (change of bike category or bucket list etc) when really it isn't (u and ur bike for example 🫣) , maybe just a change for changes sake like you probably do with your cars???
and change the bike again especially as its a niche bike.

Maybe things were a deal breaker? Positon, tyres, parts, maybe they just really didn't like it or just that waa the last bike before deciding not to bother riding anymore...

well your gonna have to get face about priority, if you go for a older bike its gonna more likely to have a few owners but you bought something that would have lost loads of depreciation previously anyaway so as long as you dont get giddy and over pay for something youll barely lose much money.
If it didnt have loads of owners but sat in a garage fir 10years, did it get a proper hibernation and was it brought back to commission correctly? Does it still have problems? Some bikes prefer running than storage.

Totally get what you're saying, but would a 8+ owner bike put you off if you were in the market?

The change of mind/circs is perfectly plausible as per my own experience, but how many times on the same bike before it raises questions and causes nervousness?

Just curious as to what is considered the norm with bikes, as my experience is mostly car based where low owners is highly prized (on certain cars, not all).

I had a thundercat that had min of 6+ owners- can't remember exactly but it was considered high, its not the owners its the condition! 
zx6r had 4 i think but about 20k miles including some track time from the previous owner.

daytona had 5+owners but lower miles so it was a sunday best ride and so for some not worth keeping- the Day was ment as a bucket list thing only for a year but i kept it for over 4 years, nothing wrong with zx or day (apart from a battery) during my time with them but the Day costed the dealer a big bill (stat,reg &battery) just before i picked it up. 

my bro has a one owner from new volvo estate tank with lpg conversion too, stacked history yada yada...its got patina if your nice.it had over 400000miles when he bought it, its cracked over 500000miles now while still the same and hasnt cost him owt over the normal stuff...

so for me if its been looked after, history and in good nick without bodgery why not?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

so for me if its been looked after, history and in good nick without bodgery why not?

This. 

I recently bought a 2005 bike with less than 16000 miles. 

An insurance cosmetic write off, I thought it was so nice, that I didn't consider how many owners at all. 

Apart from the scuffs on one fairing, it's tidy and the engine still sounds quiet and tight. 

As @RideWithStyles says, some bikes such as these, just don't get ridden and are sold on after doing nothing. 

• Like 1

If it’s a 125cc I would think it normal.  If it was a Harley or BMW l would be more concerned.

Me I would be looking at the bike thinking,  do I want a 2 year bike?   At least it hasn’t been rotting in a garage for 10 years.

It might just be a bike that people buy as a stepping stone.

If it's a Harley that's one owner every couple of years, about right. In my experience loads of people buy into the Harley dream but the reality is a heavy lump with poor braking and questionable handling, so not many miles.

With the full service history and low mileage it should be a good bike. You could use the high ownership count as a bargaining chip or look for the same bike with only one owner from new.

Depends on what bike it is and how niche. Was it a new model with teething issues? If it's a good bike in good nick the number of owners shouldn't be an issue BUT if its nominally a good bike WHY has it had so many owners?

12 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Depends on what bike it is and how niche. Was it a new model with teething issues? If it's a good bike in good nick the number of owners shouldn't be an issue BUT if its nominally a good bike WHY has it had so many owners?

It's a 2006 Harley V-Rod CVO Screamin' Eagle, identical to this...

image.thumb.png.d7517a0b76ed0d5acdae9be22eb5e228.png

In which case it quite possibly is a decent bike but one that's been bought by someone as a summer ride or because its on their bucket list. There's a few HD aficionados on here - ask them for an opinion. 

• Like 1

Can't say I ever made a purchase decision based on number of owners.

I would prefer 20 caring owners who meticulously maintained their steed and kept it original than two teenage owners who fitted pod filters, the cheapest aftermarket exhaust possible on mounts made from an old cola can and a gnarly paint job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For what it`s worth V-Rods are a very marmite thing and for whatever reason most Harley owners/aficionados don`t seem to like them.

For whatever reason you don`t see many about.

At that age you are basically buying on condition and your instinct.

Good luck.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To answer the question - no. 

11k on an 18 year old bike? Lovely. 8 owners averages 1325 miles per owner or 811 miles per year. Harleys tend to be a summer bike so that tally's up. FSH is an added bonus. They're bikes that tend to be looked after by mature owners.

Unless it's visually minging  then just buy the bike.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Interference Fit said:

Thanks all. I managed to sell my CBR this morning and coincidentally saw a different bike shortly after that just spoke to me on every level so have gone in that direction, just got to wait for delivery now. 

You can't leave us hanging, you have to tell us what it is.... 

22 hours ago, Interference Fit said:

Would 8 owners put you off or is it just me?

Might do. I would wonder why? Some possible answers have already been given, but here is another one. People are apt to go with their heart rather than their head and especially if the bike is bought without a test ride. And test rides aren't always possible or even feasible. They might realise they made a mistake. (I did this once.) It was a second bike.. but even so, I kept it a couple of years riding it quite rarely and sold it on. Did about 400 miles a year on it. maybe less than that.

And a bike can go through a series of owners for this reason. maybe not all of them, each owner might have had a different reason to sell. If the bike is attractive to older owners then it could be as simple as death. or some physical/mental deterioration and they can't manage it anymore. There are so many reasons. And of course you always run the risk of just being the latest. and soon realise it was a mistake and its time for owner number 10.

But.. its not all bad. sometimes we have an itch we need to scratch. And if thats the case then no amount of persuasion will change your mind.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Simon Davey said:

Ah right, the Harley..... 

Yep, bought a Fat Boy.

Over the last several weeks and thanks to the good people on this forum, especially RideWithStyles who has been hugely helpful in advising on my ergos, the bike the fits me the best, is super comfy and ticks a MASSIVE bucket list box is the Fat Boy. And in the interests / context of this thread, 1 owner, full history. 

I'm going in to hospital for an operation so won't be getting it until the end of the month, can't wait. 

Edited by Interference Fit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm slightly confused by the OP's position on this, first he says he's concerned by the high numbers of previous owners, then states "..as I never keep cars/bikes for long.." Surely this is just adding to the problem as potential buyer No.10 is going to look at the bike with as much suspicion as they are looking at buying from no.8  If it's cheap and you're prepared to also sell it cheap, then given the usual checks buy it.

1 minute ago, Capt Sisko said:

I'm slightly confused by the OP's position on this, first he says he's concerned by the high numbers of previous owners, then states "..as I never keep cars/bikes for long.." Surely this is just adding to the problem as potential buyer No.10 is going to look at the bike with as much suspicion as they are looking at buying from no.8  If it's cheap and you're prepared to also sell it cheap, then given the usual checks buy it.

You are 100% correct, I was just trying to get my head round whether this was a thing with bikes as it can be with cars. I guess as a more emotionally driven purchase, short term ownership is more likely. 

12 hours ago, onesea said:

If it’s a 125cc I would think it normal.  If it was a Harley or BMW l would be more concerned.

Me I would be looking at the bike thinking,  do I want a 2 year bike?   At least it hasn’t been rotting in a garage for 10 years.

It might just be a bike that people buy as a stepping stone.

My gsf spent 7plus years doing sweet FA in wales with its first owner very late on in his tundure, its second owner had it less than a year.
The dealer i got this from absolutely fooked everything up cos there muppests.

so im its real third owner rolling on my 2nd year. Nothing wrong or difficult apart from a  nut/bolt combination that's definitely not factory for the airbox on a bike that was under 4500 miles...go figure.

But im happy with it and have no desire to drop it for anything other than a guzzi S like westy has but a not wanting to sign up to anything at the mo as the gsf is mine.

2 hours ago, Interference Fit said:

Yep, bought a Fat Boy.

Over the last several weeks and thanks to the good people on this forum, especially S-Westerly who has been hugely helpful in advising on my ergos, the bike the fits me the best, is super comfy and ticks a MASSIVE bucket list box is the Fat Boy. And in the interests / context of this thread, 1 owner, full history. 

I'm going in to hospital for an operation so won't be getting it until the end of the month, can't wait. 

Oh ok just forgotton again.... 🫥

oh well hope it goes well and back to riding.

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Interference Fit said:

Yep, bought a Fat Boy.

Congratulations, I'd love one as "another bike"..

Good luck with the op....

Hope the Fat Boy lives up to your expectations....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RideWithStyles said:

Oh ok just forgotton again.... 🫥

oh well hope it goes well and back to riding.

Just realised I got you mixed up with Westerly (also helpful) when it was indeed yourself who spent a lot of time assessing my positioning and giving sound guidance and advice. My mistake, my apologies and many thanks once again!!  <hangs head in shame>

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Simon Davey said:

Congratulations, I'd love one as "another bike"..

Good luck with the op....

Hope the Fat Boy lives up to your expectations....

Cheers. It might do, it might not - only one way to find out.

Whilst the CBR was not my forever bike, I do not regret it for a second and would buy it again if I could turn the clock back. I always wanted to own and ride a 4 cyl, faired sports bike and it was great, just not the best fit.

The Fat Boy, even if it turns out to be a short termer, I've always wanted one (and a Harley in general) and unless I give it a go, I always will. #bucketlist 

• Like 1