Bike Trailers

Bikerwife

Hi everyone, 

I was hoping for some advice on bike trailers. I bought my husband a KTM for his 50th recently (which he loves), but as he picked it out himself I didn’t get to surprise him. 

We have two big dogs so always holiday somewhere we can drive to, but it makes me sad that my hubby can’t bring his bike with us and enjoy some of the beautiful roads while we’re away. 

I know he’d like a covered one, but I don’t know where to start! Any recommendations would be amazing. 

Thanks ☺️ 

Have you tried google?

There are loads of them for sale. depends on what type of trailer you want. How many bikes and weights you're thinking of.

as husoi say, there are loads of them about that come in different configurations  and cost so youll have to really think it through what youll need it to do or take with it...box for tools, cabinet for kit to go in, roll forward wheel lock (help hold the boke upright) but id mount this to the floor.  space for ramp, fuel, water, washing kit, tying points. 

other options is to convert a horse box if you know someone....a van but they can be more difficult to put a bike in depending on its configure.

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 1

Hey Chaps, 

Thanks for responding! The bike we'd want to transport is a KTM RC8R, which according to google has a weight of about 185kg. He'd want to take a small box of cleaning stuffs so he can wipe her down after each ride. I can spend between £3-£4k on it, I did have a google, but there were so many options it bamboozled me fairly quickly!

I don't want to spend so much money on something that is poor quality, so I thought I'd sign up and check on here to see if there is a particular brand that is known in the biker community for being good quality. Security will be important, I don't want to gift wrap the bike in a trailer so thieves can just tow it away ;). Something to consider when we're booking accommodation as well. 

I think he'll probably use it when he does track days that are a bit of a distance as well, he's cream crackered after some of those and would prefer to drive back rather then ride. 

The horse box idea is a good one, I'd be confident they'd be stable (no pun intended)!

• Haha 3

looking more like it, just consider to measure the bike plus space (for his body) to move round and get to each side of the bike and above it, just incase he want to work on it while inside.

cos your still gonna have to store or hind this thing when not in use and leavinf the bike inside as a long term storage is just helping the scum to take both off your hands at the same time.

a used van might be a safe option but that adds costs of insurance, mot and tax etc you could treat the van as a second vehicle if that works for you?

Hi,

that one you are looking at will be too small, they do another one the next size up. Look ok but the sides look detachable, built to a budget lets say.

Quick look on the bay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276287711934?hash=item405407eabe%3Ag%3A27MAAOSwv9Rlpjqf&LH_ItemCondition=4 

A great fold up trailer for getting to track days https://www.motolug.com/

The Motolug ones you can collapse and store easily, the ebay one would be for all your kit and everything. Depends what storage you have at home to hide these things.

20 hours ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Hi,

that one you are looking at will be too small, they do another one the next size up. Look ok but the sides look detachable, built to a budget lets say.

Quick look on the bay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276287711934?hash=item405407eabe%3Ag%3A27MAAOSwv9Rlpjqf&LH_ItemCondition=4 

A great fold up trailer for getting to track days https://www.motolug.com/

The Motolug ones you can collapse and store easily, the ebay one would be for all your kit and everything. Depends what storage you have at home to hide these things.

That one on ebay looks a lot more robust then the one I found. I do like the Motolug one as well though, it will be much easier to store in the garage with the bike. I think I'll go with a motolug, and just make sure we book places to stay that have a decent place for the bike.

Thanks for helping! I was getting turned around by all the options.