CBT in March '24

Birch Vand

Hi all, 

Just saying hello - new to motorcycles, I have my CBT in March, can't wait to get it done and get a bike!

Been driving for over 25 years,  just so bored of it,  I've been thinking of learning to ride for a while, for commuting, for fun,  for fun- commuting and all other reasons people ride a motorbike.

Based in Worcestershire,  

Hello!

Paul

Edited by Birch Vand
Additional info - location
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, bonio said:

Hi Paul. Welcome in.

What are your plans? CBT and then ride a 125? Or CBT and then DAS?

Geoff

Hi Geoff,  thanks for the welcome. 

I'll probably ride a 125cc for a while,  until I'm really comfortable,  then work up to the full licence. Not in a rush though, although I can get a nice 125cc to start,  then I'd need to save to get a decent bigger bike. 

Cheers, 

Paul 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Birch Vand said:

Not in a rush though, although I can get a nice 125cc to start,  then I'd need to save to get a decent bigger bike. 

If you get yourself a decent secondhand Japanese bike, you'll get your money back and perhaps even a tad more when you come to sell it on.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bonio said:

If you get yourself a decent secondhand Japanese bike, you'll get your money back and perhaps even a tad more when you come to sell it on.

Good shout, I think I'll go that way - I was thinking of getting a Lexmoto, or maybe a Mutt, Herald or Bullit, but I think I can stretch to Yamaha XSR, much  better quality and still looks "cool". Ultimately I'd like to go for one of the Royal Enfield 650s or a Triumph when I get properly licensed. 

First things first though,  I'll get some good quality gear,  in the ATGATT spirit!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

NO TO ALL OF THEM BEFORE YOU SAID YAMAHA- just FFS DONT DO IT!!! those afterwards are ok.

No worries, makes perfect sense. As far as I can tell they are basically the same cheap Chinese built bikes,  just with some cosmetic differences. I've seen some decent reviews for some of them, but the only really quality one I've mentioned is the Yamaha,  and there are plenty around.  A Royal Enfield/Triumph/ something else a bit bigger will be for a year or two down the line,  at least

yes that is correct.

poor designs, poor parts, poor supply issues, poor dealer back up etc etc just look at all the pitstop treads... then you get an idea.

just a good used proper brand bike will serve well and cost less in any run.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Birch Vand said:

No worries, makes perfect sense. As far as I can tell they are basically the same cheap Chinese built bikes,  just with some cosmetic differences. I've seen some decent reviews for some of them, but the only really quality one I've mentioned is the Yamaha,  and there are plenty around.  A Royal Enfield/Triumph/ something else a bit bigger will be for a year or two down the line,  at least

Just watch on here for the my lexmoto won't run or. My liinglong xe rstpvr XR 125e dissolved in the rain posts......

• Haha 3

All good stuff; I'm pretty set on Yamaha XSR 125. A cheap bike is probably going to be false economy, even if it's got an old British name on it. Bit like Sports Direct shoving Dunlop or Lonsdale badges on all sorts of tat!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Well,  did the CBT, did okay,  but have to come back for another day (another full day at half price,  so not too bad on that score). 

Basically took too long getting the hang of each manoeuvre,  clutch control was a bit iffy at times.  Just need a bit more practice, ran out of time to get safe enough for the road section.  Going back in two weeks.  Had a great time though,  was definitely getting there,  should be good for the next one. Not as easy as it looks!

Bit disappointed,  but it's not put me off, there no rush. 

Edited by Birch Vand
Correcting mispelling
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, Birch Vand said:

Well,  did the CBT, did okay,  but have to come back for another day (another full day at half price,  so not too bad on that score). 

Basically took too long getting the hang of each manoeuvre,  clutch control was a bit iffy at times.  Just need a bit more practice, ran out of time to get she enough for the road section.  Going back in two weeks.  Had a great time though,  was definitely getting there,  should be good for the next one. Not as easy as it looks!

Bit disappointed,  but it's not put me off, there no rush. 

Better to take longer and actually learn something than them just shove you through and straight out on the road.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Bender said:

Better to take longer and actually learn something than them just shove you through and straight out on the road.

Absolutely, they seemed pretty happy with my progress,  I was getting it eventually.  Just need to relax a bit and give it another go, I'm sure it'll be easier next time. I'd literally never sat on a motorbike before;  the coordination will take a while, but it will happen. I'm not even sure if there's any specific advice I can ask the forum, each subsequent exercise just took a bit too long to get right.  I'll process it and go again!

Edited by Birch Vand
Removing repetition

9 minutes ago, Birch Vand said:

Absolutely, they seemed pretty happy with my progress,  I was getting it eventually.  Just need to relax a bit and give it another go, I'm sure it'll be easier next time. I'd literally never sat on a motorbike before;  the coordination will take a while, but it will happen. I'm not even sure if there's any specific advice I can ask the forum, each subsequent exercise just took a bit too long to get right.  I'll process it and go again!

No advice will really help you with the actual riding bit yet, other that relax, which is easy to say and hard to do, being tense on the bike is bad for control..

When I did my CBT it was a mix of newbies and re sits, one woman gave up halfway through, more from the stress she put on herself because she wasn't doing as well as she wanted to be doing and falling behind the rest, place weren't pushing her and we're happy to have one guy just for her.

Hopefully another day and you will feel better but tbh if it takes another 2 apart from the financial hit it's irrelevant.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bender said:

No advice will really help you with the actual riding bit yet, other that relax, which is easy to say and hard to do, being tense on the bike is bad for control..

When I did my CBT it was a mix of newbies and re sits, one woman gave up halfway through, more from the stress she put on herself because she wasn't doing as well as she wanted to be doing and falling behind the rest, place weren't pushing her and we're happy to have one guy just for her.

Hopefully another day and you will feel better but tbh if it takes another 2 apart from the financial hit it's irrelevant.

I think relaxing is going to be key, it was too easy to snatch at the throttle,  grab the front brake etc when tense, it was much easier when just not overthinking it. It won't be the end of the world if it takes a few more goes,  though would like to get it done next time!

I'll be riding a 125 for a good while before looking at moving up the licenses, I'm in no rush

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bender said:

When I did my CBT it was a mix of newbies and re sits, one woman gave up halfway through, more from the stress she put on herself because she wasn't doing as well as she wanted to be doing and falling behind the rest

That's interesting, it's easy to  compare ourselves with others, but I don't think it helps much.  I've always looked at myself first, which is just as well, as the only other learners today picked it all up really easily and was out on the road in the afternoon no problem!

9 hours ago, Birch Vand said:

That's interesting, it's easy to  compare ourselves with others, but I don't think it helps much.  I've always looked at myself first, which is just as well, as the only other learners today picked it all up really easily and was out on the road in the afternoon no problem!

To quote monty python "we are all individuals" 😂

I was fine with CBT, took 3 goes to do mod 1🤔 and passed mod 2 no faults.

I had my 125 for a year for gaining experience, some go straight to big bike, I like you was In no rush.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bender said:

I had my 125 for a year for gaining experience, some go straight to big bike, I like you was In no rush.

That's my plan,  get a Yamaha XSR125 or Honda CB125R, get some experience on that for a year,  then think about moving up

• Like 2

One thing I wasn't expecting, my left hand / wrist is hurting today! We spent a lot of time on slow control,  getting that clutch feel, keeping the revs even and using that rear brake,  harder than it looks!