Slip-on exhaust (end can only) yes or no?

S-Westerly

Yesterday in an owners forum I happened to mention that I was thinking of changing the end can of my exhaust.  I would leave the hideous cat unit but swap out the end can. The responses I got made me somewhat irked. Basically I got called every kind of idiot known to man for even thinking about messing up this finely tuned instrument  blah blah blah. I make no claims to being any kind of expert in this field so if its a potentially damaging thing to do then obviously I won't. If its harmless then I will. Any opinions on the forum? Not that I'll necessarily listen to them mind!

I don't actually know but....

I'm certain that a little back pressure from the exhausts is part of an engine's tuning, as you have a cat between the silencer and the engine, this will deal with that.

Also, as you have that cat, then all the can is doing, is keeping hush.

I'd go for it.

Aaaaand, keep the original for servicing and warranty claims.

Edited by Simon Davey

There are end cans and there are end cans. I don't know much about your particular brand of exotica in terms of what's available but in the Triumph circles there are some aftermarket systems that work perfectly well with the original mapping and some that don't. The latter need a remap which is do-able 

But usually it's only total decats with open pipes that cause any issues due to the airflow being outside of the ecu's parameters.

So assuming you're a reasonably sensible chap (opinions on this score may vary of course) and you go for a good quality alternative then go for it. A quality manufacturer will have the details of what difference, if any, it will make to the tune. 

If its just the end can I cant see a problem, as long as its a decent make and its your bike you can do what you like and everyone can go and do one. The only problem you could have is with a warranty issue but that would only be If the problem concerned the end can. I say go for it. it must look better than the original. 

first though costly but long term far better is to stick to the factorys choice of options if possible or if truely aftermarket cos you cant get them anymore go with there brand options so for example triumph was leo vince but more modern arrow and most japs will be Akrops. failing that just stick with a well trusted brand.