TRIUMPH Bonneville 2003 Restoration Advice

Hey,

I have recently come into procession of a TRIUMPH Bonneville 2003 with only 2000 miles on the clock. Not been ridden since 2014. Only reported major issue is a leaking carburetor. Apart from thayt it just seems rusty in places.

Going to be fixing it up to get it an MOT and on the road. Apart from taking as much of the bike apart as possible to clean everything, replacing hopefully just seals in the carb, new tyres and oil and filter changes. Can you guy recommend where to start and anything important which should be done?

Many thanks in advance.

PIC 5.jpg

PIC1.jpg

PIC2.jpg

PIC3.jpg

PIC4.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. 

Take pictures, and lots of them as you disassemble everything, then you'll have a record of how it goes back together. 

Give that fuel tank a good clean out. Maybe replace HT leads and the like. 

Inspect any flexible hoses and tubes in case they're perished.

Fork oil may be in need of replacement. 

Despite low mileage, it's still a fair age, and perishables will need to be looked at. 

Have fun. 

In addition to the above,

I would also swap out the battery, 

Strip and rebuild callipers, front and back, flush,  change hydronic oil, strong chance it will have moisture contamination

rub down disks to remove the rust, it will only build up on the pads and cause glazing

Check chain for rusted links, probably better to replace, with mileage stated I would guess sprockets should be serviceable

You have called out the leaking carb, as your going to pull it apart I would get a full-refurb kit

Loosen rear wheel  spindle nuts, take out and spindle and regrease

check LT, HT, electrickery stuff  little critters do love to chew on dem

Spray of  leccy cleaner in ignition barrel and wd something into seat release lock

I guess you will check coolant level and hoses for any signs of leaks, cracks

Given the time it's been standing, I might be tempted to use some upper cylinder lubricant before hitting the go button, can help releasing stuck piston rings

Take your time, Good luck, I hope you don't find any unwanted surprises

• Like 1

There’s a YouTube channel called the Wurks, on it there’s a guy that’s restoring Freddie Dobbs’ T100 Bonneville, might give you some tips on common issues.

Edited by Mickly

• 2 weeks later...

air filter.

fork oil will need changing.

check the shocks, they should have dampened (if it springs back faster than you and wobbles the bike at the top of the stroke when you push down hard) they need replacement.

check the chain throughout for rust,damaged rubber and lack of flexibility.

brake system (master cylinder and calipers) should have a proper overhaul/strip down with new hoses, washers,seals and pads. but if you a dangerous type just replace the fluid.