Community Tool Kit builder

Hi guys.

Heads up I am an absolute newbie to adventure biking and will be heading out to Europe for two weeks as a little trip. Hence in need of advice

I was thinking that we could all compile some of the stuff we carry in our tool bags for long trips. Since I am fairly oblivious but keen to learn I have the following things in my tool kit. It obviously needs some work so any advice of what you guys carry so the newbies on the forum like me can get an idea of what is necessary and what isn't. 

1. Leatherman wave + extra screwdriver + alankey bits

2. bacon strips for plugging tires (Works on mountain bikes but on motorbikes?)

3. Duct tape

4. WD40

4. Samurai sword (obviously)

I know this list obviously needs more stuff so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ocean said:

And also of course a pump, I am assuming a normal push-bike pump won't suffice, any tips for that would also be great.

I carry one of those cheap and cheerful electric inflators. Loads of them on Amazon. Mine works and I can vouch for it, but I am saving up for a slightly smaller, slightly lighter version.

Bacon strips do work, but  I regard them as temporary repairs. Other people don't. Your choice.

Well, yes, a Samurai sword would be rather obvious I would imagine.  In a perfect world and assuming you're right handed, swapping your handlebar controls from left to right and carrying a large calibre pistol would be handier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have bacon strips in my kit, but also have tyre repair screws too, they're a tapered screw covered in glue type stuff..

These blighters.... 

Tire Repair Screw in Rubber Plug Nail Car Tyre Puncture Repair Kit Off-Road Tire | eBay

Edited by Simon Davey
Smelling corrections.

Remember, you only need the tools that fit your bike.

Mine are mostly 4,5,6mm Alen bolts, 10mm spanner.

Philips screwdriver PH2 & PH1

Adjustable wrench

Any other tools needed for wheel removal. (which I should get)

18 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

If riding a Japanese bike replace the PH1 and PH2 with JLS screwdrivers.

Cheers

Ian

Do they sing? 😂

Joking aside, I've now ordered a set, thanks @Ian Frog

Edited by Simon Davey
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Simon Davey said:

I have bacon strips in my kit, but also have tyre repair screws too, they're a tapered screw covered in glue type stuff..

These blighters.... 

Tire Repair Screw in Rubber Plug Nail Car Tyre Puncture Repair Kit Off-Road Tire | eBay

Have you tried them ?  Are they any good ?

23 minutes ago, curlylegend said:

Have you tried them ?  Are they any good ?

Thankfully not, I've only got 100 miles on my tyres... 

I bought as an alternative after seeing them on a youtube video. 

Very simply screw in to just below the surface of the tyre. 

• Like 1

Prevention is always better than a cure. So first - bike to be serviced in advance. At least a couple of weeks before the off - and get a few miles in before you go, that way you have a greater chance of identifying any potential problems that might arise from the service itself. Think about weak points. If your bike uses cables - check them. Clutch cable for instance.

When I go away I tend to concentrate on two things. Tyres and the chain. So I have the ability to repair a puncture and re inflate fully. Plus lubricate and adjust the chain if that becomes necessary. If the bike uses standard bulbs then at the minimum a spare headlamp. Indicator and brake light bulb - plus the tools needed to do the swap. If the bike has a known “weakness” then the appropriate spare plus the tools required for that job too. In my case I have a spare lithium battery that’s tiny. Weighs next to nothing and is kept at the bottom of my panniers. Just in case.

Aside from that. Trust your bike. Help is never far away, regardless of where you go within Europe. People will always help out. Like this time when my mates bike had a problem near D’Oulx and a random biker stopped and helped @smallfrowne diagnose the problem with his VFR. And jerryrig a fix so we were in our way again and got a proper fix at the next big town. Besancon.

IMG_0830.thumb.jpeg.578ddcd3c36b37511abf86f8b1dbc84b.jpeg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 3

Yeah, I'd add a decent parasol to the list. It was bloody hot on that stretch of road with no shade. In fact quite a lot of bikes stopped including a looaaaad of lovely italians. Love them. I think when they saw what was occurring up close the leader patted me on the head and wished me luck and off they all went but basically cheering me on. The French bloke wasn't much help, well he was, he pointed us to the best chance of a garage that was actually open and would have some bits to do the job, so I'm forever grateful. But really he was just very scared that the fix I was attempting to make - bridge the melted main fuse with a split pin - was going to result in a fireball. I just wanted out of the sun, even if it meant a fiery death off the side of whatever mountain that was.

Also, it's amazing what you can find on the side of the road when you really need something - something pokey to clean your carb? Stick. Something stringy to secure a bit of plastic? Baler twine. And the classic, hammer? Rock.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

On 23/04/2024 at 15:28, geofferz said:

Why on earth would you take a samurai sword?! That makes no sense at all lol. You're in Europe - take a broadsword. 

Im half asian so If I don't follow my code of honour my mother might crucify me.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Ocean said:

Im half asian so If I don't follow my code of honour my mother might crucify me.

I've been watching Shogun so I'm down with this Ocean-san.

• Haha 2