Module 1 - members test experiences

• 3 weeks later...

thought i would add mine as i have 5 mins free

had a quick ride out with my instructor before the test and made a complete hash of the emergency stop 3 times in a row :shock: i kept snatching at the back brake and leaving giant black lines down the road, but as time was running out we had to get to the test centre.

the test was at colwick centre so turned up 15 mins before. parked up bike and waited for the examiner to call me in to check my paper work. after that i jumped on the bike started up nd met him at the entrance, then had to pull into the bay for manual handelling. this part was easy just keep looking around before and during the movement and counter blance the weight of a 500. next was slalom and figure of 8, again easy enough just take a nice wide line with the figure of 8 and your laughing. then was the controlled stop, which i used as a benchmark to get my speed right around the bend. then the u turn, straight forward enough just remeber to do shoulder checks before you set off and i found it helpfull to go forward a couple of meters before turning to set up my balance so had to do a second shoulder check before turning. on to the emergency stop, rounded the corner through speed trap and thank jesus i didnt go anywhere near the back brake, all good. next up the swerve test, never had a problem with this throught the bike between the cones and pulled up nice and easy. back up to the office and walked out with a MOD 1 ticket, 50 kph for emergency stop, 57 for swerve and 0 minors

• 3 weeks later...

Tuesday 18th October.

"Strong winds expected, and showers...' The weather forecast kindly informed me the night before (Monday)

Oh great, I thought. Test was booked for 8.15am, at Carlisle, and I live the other side of Dumfries, so I was kind of hoping that I didn't get all the way down there for them to go and cancel the test. Arrived about 25 minutes beforehand as requested by the bike school.

Instructor was walking around nervously looking at the trees being whipped around by the wind and decided that he'd do the test before the wind became too strong to continue, so I ended up doing my test about 15 minutes before scheduled.

Into the test centre building I went, checked various documents and had me sign a couple of bits of paper and went out to the bike. Did the explanation of what he wanted me to do, and it was onto exercise 1.

1. Bike was a 59 plate Yamaha XJ6, and I was requested to put the bike into one of the parking bays, so observations, and off I went. The layout of Carlisle centre is such that the bays are directly to the left as soon as the examiner opens the gate. I was told I could ride it into the bay, but as I'd been told that I'd fail if I lost my balance and put my foot down, I decided to push the bike and into the furthest bay. That way, it would make it easier when it came to pushing it out backwards into the first bay. Heart going ten to the dozen, and on legs like jelly, I did my observations, (check both mirrors, and both shoulders for all exercises) and hauled the bike round in an arc into the other bay, and once done, put the bike on the stand. I had always struggled with this exercise because of the weight of the bike, but I found that if you lean the bike against your hip, to make a triangle shape with the ground, you can use your weight and backside to actually do the work for you. The holding onto the bars with one hand, and the other on the seat/grabrail, wasn't for me.

2. Exercise 2 was the slalom, so observations, enter between the first and second cone, slalom round a few yellow cones and then do a couple of figure of 8's round the two blue cones at the top, until the examiner shouted me over when he was satisfied. Clutch control and back brake are key to this exercise, and keep it smooth on the throttle. Fortunately, the XJ6 is a very smooth bike, and is actually very well balanced at low speed. I did notice that once I was actually riding the bike, my nerves evaporated. I treated it as another lesson, and the examiner as my instructor.

After that, for some stupid reason I can't remember the exact order I did the next ones in, but I think it was this...

3. Then onto the controlled stop. I had the left circuit to do, so obs, and off I went. This exercise doesn't have a minimum speed, so round the circuit, through the speed trap and bring the bike to a stop with the front wheel in the square of four cones.

4. I was then asked to ride the bike in a straight line at a walking pace. I'd heard that you had to ride behind the instructor who walked with his clipboard and you had to stay behind it, but mine was happy to walk along side me. He asked me to stop just before the area where you do the u-turn.

5. Onto the u-turn, observations again, begin to move the bike forward, lifesaver and then u-turn the bike in between the two white lines. It's quite a wide space to turn the bike; just be careful you don't touch the lines or you could end up with a minor.

6. Then onto the emergency stop. Did my obs, off I went round the cones, through the bend and through the speed trap, minimum speed had to be 50kph. Powered out of the corner , gunned it through the speed trap and brought it safely and quickly to a stop without locking up the back wheel.

7. Finally onto the last exercise, which was the swerve, so same procedure of observation, and round the bend, power out of the corner, through the trap, and look for the gap between the two blue cones and keep feets tucked in so as not to touch the cones, and then bring it back in line with the small square of cones and stop before them (or the other side if needed, just don't touch them)

That was all the exercises completed so he asked me to ride over to the gate so he could let me out, so again make sure get the obs in, come to a halt as he opens the gate, and make sure you remember your observations before you ride out of the gate.

Back into the building to sign yet more bits of paper, examiner was pleased to tell me I had passed, my emergency stop speed being 57kph, and my swerve being 53kph, and 0 minors and I was presented with a pretty purple certificate to be shown at the Mod 2 test.

I passed my module 1 test this morning. I had 2 hours of practice on the site yesterday which really helped and built my confidence.

Examiner was a legend with some great banter! I did pick up a minor on the slow ride because I was a bit unsteady when starting, although not to bothered about it.

All round a good start to the morning and not as bad as I thought it would be. Quite fun playing with a 500 after riding a 125 for the last month or so.

I can't wait for module 2 now.

Lovely damp, grey morning to wake up to on the day of my test. Got to the school and said to my instructor I hoped it would dry up a bit on the way down 'coz I didn't fancy the e-stop and the swerve in the damp conditions and he said that it really wouldn't be a problem, the tarmac at Farnborough is absolutely amazing.

Parked up in the bays right outside the test area and backed in so I could ride it out straight forward. Instructor says that next time I touch the bike my test's live, even though I'm not in the test area I am on the public road so checks and all before I even move out the parking space to go into the test! Instructor walked up to the fence and pointed out where everything was and what order. Was nice to have a chance to visualise it before I did the test.

Make sure to go to the loo! I wandered in to the waiting room intending to leave my helmet with my instructor and go but the examiner's there and accosts me as soon as I walk in. Check the paperwork, sign the form, away we go. The walk back to my bike felt very very long!

Lid on, gloves on, shoulder check, on the bike, shoulder check, ride out the parking space into the test area. Examiner's a nice guy, talks me through it far less formally than the mocks I'd done at my school. Puts me at ease.

Ride into the box. At Farnborough they're immediately on your right when you go in so it's a nice chance to ride in a large, lazy arc to get the feel of the bike and the surface which is, indeed, amazing!

Into the first box. Shoulder check, neutral, bike off, stand down, shoulder check, get off.

The push backwards was fine. Shoulder check, stand up, shoulder check, push. I'd been taught right hand on the front corner of the pillion seat and to keep the bike upright as much as possible so you're not wasting half your energy keeping the bike up. Shoulder check, stand down, shoulder check, step away.

Shoulder check, back on the bike, start her up. Talked through the slalom and figure 8 and told away you go. Put it in first, bike switches off....

Stand up, start bike, breathe (had forgotten that bit while trying to work out why bike stopped!)

Take your time, visualise what you're going to do, look through the route you're going to take, breathe, shoulder check, go.

When he puts his hand up and calls you to stop the figure 8's ride to him, if he has to walk over to you then he might look less kindly on any borderlines. Pull up, shoulder check, neutral.

Slow ride to the blue box (same one used for the controlled stop). It's at an angle from where you are at the end of your figure 8's but leads straight into the u-turn so ride the slow ride in a slight arc so you're straight on to the box when you stop. The line is "as if in slow moving traffic". Didn't have to ride behind him at walking pace, he followed me. Presumably to see if you're sitting riding the brake while you do it. Again, take your time, visualise what you're going to do. Get your point of reference that you're going to focus on for this before you set off. First gear, shoulder check, go.... stop, shoulder check, neutral.

u-turn. Loads of room to do this, there really is, but he specifically reminded me here "to act as if I was still on the public road" so the white lines are kerbs, don't go over them! Do a shoulder check before you start to turn (I'm guilty of turning as I'm checking).

Take your time, visualise what you're going to do. First gear, shoulder check, go, shoulder check, turn. Focus back up the "road" and when you've turned don't stop immediately, carry on riding up the line to the end, if you try and stop too quick you might not be in line, you won't be as in control of the bike during the turn itself. Stop, shoulder check, neutral.

Controlled stop: Up to the far corner, round the bend, through the speed trap, stop in the blue box. No set speed but aim for somewhere between 20 and 30 (any slower than that and you'll really struggle to make it as far as the blue box!)

Take your time, visualise what you're going to do, where you're going to go. Shoulder check, go.

Take your time going up to the bend, don't blast up and have to brake for the corner. Get it in second before the bend and relax. Round the bend and come back down. I aimed to get myself to 50k/32mph to see how hard I'd have to push to do it for the measured tests, get a feel for how much room you've got coming off the bend. Keep the throttle open 'til you're through the speed trap and then close the throttle and ease yourself into the box. Stop, shoulder check, neutral.

He told me to "take as much room as I needed" to turn round and get back to him. You've done your u-turn, you don't have to panic about not crossing the lines so take a bit more room and ride round gently.

e-stop: round the same bend, through the same cones, 50kph/32mph through the speed trap, somewhere between the speed trap and the next set of cones he puts his hand up and stop. Keep the throttle open 'til you're through the speed trap, that's where your speed is measured so don't do the hard work getting yourself to 50 and then let off so you're only doing 47 by the time you get to the gate!

Stop safely. You don't have to stop before a particular point, just safely, quickly and in control. Don't yank the brakes. Keep applying pressure and pull it further and further in steadily, let the weight of the bike settle rather than pull the rear wheel off the ground and lock it up.

Swerve: For this on mine he picked up the front two cones of the blue controlled stop box so I had a pair of cones across like a gate like the ones I'd have to ride through. Round the same bend, through the speed trap at 50k/32mph, through the next pair of cones over, and back to stop with the bike between the blue cones. I made a point of asking him here "any part of the bike between the cones or front wheel specifically?" and got clarification. I'd been warned that different examiners expected different things of where to stop here so make sure to ask exactly what that particular examiner wants. I don't see what all the fuss is about this test, there's plenty of room and as long as you don't grab a handful of brakes while leaning going round the gate there's more than enough time to stand it up and brake by the box.

On your way out of the test area still shoulder checks before you move off and ride into the parking bays forward, your test is still live so ride in, don't muck about trying to back in here.

Clean sheet, no problems. Not even leaving the stand down and having the bike switch off on me was a fault.

Keep calm, take your time. You've got 15 minutes and you'll struggle to fill it so relax, breathe, take your time, look through where you're about to ride.

Good luck.

edit: Wow, that was longer than I expected. Shall I shorten this up a bit?

It amazes me the amount of people on here that never get to go to the test centre and practice the course before doing the test. I had a couple of sessions at the centre and must have done the course at least half a dozen times before my actual test day! I thought it was pretty standard for every training school to do the same thing. Maybe it should be...

:cheers:

It amazes me the amount of people on here that never get to go to the test centre and practice the course before doing the test. I had a couple of sessions at the centre and must have done the course at least half a dozen times before my actual test day! I thought it was pretty standard for every training school to do the same thing. Maybe it should be...

I'd run through a couple of mocks on site at my school where they had the diagram of how everything was laid out and had tried to copy it as much as possible given the space they have but it isn't exactly the same layout. I'd never been to the test centre itself before my exam, though.

Had my training on the sat where I dropped the bike twice! After more practise I got a lot more confident and comfortable.

Roll on sunday..

Had to be up at 6 to be down the training school at 7. Went straight on the road and made our way to the test centre for my test at 815. Parked in the vays outside the centre went in got my paper work checked and the guy told mne to ride to the top of the centre where hed meet me. So I went up the top parked in one of the cone bays as advised only for him to chuckle and say I've parked in the wrong way...durh after a second it clicked in my head which way I'd be heading out to do the slalom!

Any way wheeled it out no problem ( I did struggle with this in training as I'm only 5 6 and the honda cbf600 was a tadddd big for me so took me a lil longer to get the technique)

Then I did the slalom which was a piece of **** thenm figure of 8 which was also easy although felt like I went round about 10x lol.

Then I did a slow ride which was also very easy onto a you turn which was also easy (ok I'm not bragging but it was) I then rode to the other end went round the bend came down and did a controlled stop in the 4 cones. Also quite easy as no speed limit, just don't go to slow. It also gives you a chance to gauge speed needed for hazard avoidance and emergency stop.

I then did emergency stop which was easy speed was 57kph.

Then did hazard avoidance and got 52kph.

I then went back to the guy who said I did well and pleased to say I've passed. I didn't get any minors or "rider faults"

Just have to say the test is as easy as you make it and I'm looking forward to mod 2 early next year.

Thanks for listening/reading

Sat my Mod 1 for the first time today.

Passed this with 0 minors or faults

The worst thing is getting paper worked checked before, the nerves could easily kick in then.

I had some practice for a couple runs on Saturday, which definitely helped a lot, so if you can do this - do it!!

The examiner was nice enough and didn't leave me waiting in anticipation, told me i'd passed as soon as i got off the bike.

The trick (for me anyway) is to keep calm and try and enjoy it. The only thing that will cause you to fail is if you over-think something, don't overshot the speed too much on the swerve or you'll make it more difficult.

Overall, not too stressful and almost enjoyable!

• 2 months later...

So, thought I'd post my own experience(s) as there's not been a new one in a while.

So, 12th January 2011 at the Musselburgh Test Centre in Edinburgh. 10.10am and good weather.

Actually feeling quite confident as I'd had the chance for a little ride around 5 days previous with perfect maneouvres.

Examiner checked paperwork, got me to sign the document then asked me to kit up before taking me outside to check my bike. He asked me to ride in the yard where he then locked the gate behind me and I rode to the first yellow line. Then he gave me the "treat this like a road" spiel before asking me to park in one of the "parking bays", turn engine off and put it on the stand. Obs done, no issues. Got off bike where he told me to take the bike off the stand and wheel it round to the next parking bay. Obs done, wheeled round. Got VERY close to the cones but got past with a couple of inches to spare. This was always going to be my worst move so happy it was done fine.

Then asked to do the slalom and figure of eight and he would direct me when to stop and would be standing over there, pointing to where he would be. Sh*t, sh*t, sh*t. This means I'm going in the complete opposite direction to what I practiced on Saturday. Start to panic!

So, managed to get through slalom and eight with no probs - thanks God!

Next, asked to ride at a walking pace so that my front wheel is between the blue cones. Cool, sorted!

Then, the U-Turn. No issues, obs done properly and no feet down during the maneouvre.

Next, the controlled stop. Told to ride over to the top right hand side of the park before coming round, going through to cones and stopping safely between the blue cones. Try to aim for 20-30mph. I always hate corners and slow right down as I think I'll fall over. Still, I'm always good opening the throttle and got 48kph through the speed trap and stopped fine albeit leaned slightly to right when stopping so just pretended I normally put my right foot down when stopping instead of left. All good.

Told to ride round where I was asked to do the same route but that he'd put his hand up when I was then to stop as if in an emergency. Fine, all done properly and hit 55kph (although he didn't tell me that at the time!)

Last move - not much can go wrong now. Told to do the same route again but swerve inbetween the blue cones, still getting 50kph. Ride round, swerve after the speed trap and bang - hit the cone on the right. F*CK! I know I've failed, I'm p!ssed off with myself.

Examiner comes up to me and asks me to ride over to the gate and he'll open for me. He goes to pick up the cone and my instructor opens the gate for me so I just come out, park up and get off the bike.

Examiner then comes out and asks me to come inside. While walking over to the building I get the "unfortunately you've not been successful on this occasion"...I say "I know" then he says I don't really need to come inside and gives me the papers.

So, awful start to the day, I don't want to ride back to the bike school up front so go behind the instructor and another guy who was practicing. Rode back recklessly and probably didn't look in mirrors once.

Rebooked Mod 1 test for 17th January 2011 at 13.35, 2 days before I'm meant to be doing Mod 2.

Night before test - about 6pm I take my own bike out (need to put it on every day or so as I left it for a week and it wouldn't start at all). Only plan on taking it round the block. Hit ice at the entrance to my car park, fall off, in excruciating pain (leg trapped under bike and twisted round, falling on left side). Couple of hours later, feel like cr@p, think I've possibly broken a rib and my big toe (left one for clutch pedal!). Can't move without being in pain, hurts when I breathe.

Struggle to get out of bed the next day. Meant to get to bike school for 12pm. I drive down in pain (speed bumps on my road kill me when I go over them - every bump is like a rib digging into me somewhere!). Let them know about the mishap and not sure if I can ride. I want to try and ride but think even if I can do the test, my confidence is knocked and don't think I could do the speeds as I'll be scared I'll fall. And as for the manual handling one - no idea how I'll do it. It's then I'm told the park has bad ice so the speed maneouvres will be the same side as last time - just what I need!

So, bit of riding around. Lots of pain when looking over my right shoulder and every bump or pothole. Need to physically pull my leg up over the bike when getting off it.

Ride down to test centre about an hour early. There's 2 of us doing the test, the other guy first. Quiet day so got the tests done early.

Same as last time but tell the examiner that I'm in a bit of pain and that I don't know whether I will be able to complete the test but that I will try.

Feel rubbish about the whole thing, not enjoyable at all.

All maneouvres go ok then we get to the last one where I failed last time.

Get round the corner, through the speed traps, turn into the swerve and BANG. "F*ck this" I say to myself, not in the mood at all so get to the cones, stop, look round to confirm the cone has actually gone over. Ride away a bit when examiner comes over and tells me to ride over to the gate "while I go pick up the cone". Right, don't go on about it! Get over to the gate, don't want to ride anymore so get off the bike and turn if off. He comes over and tells me I didn't need to do that. I look miserable. Think he knows by the look on my face how I'm feeling so takes me into the room where the instructor follows. Asks if it's ok that my instructor is there. I'm like "whatever". Then "I'm please to say you've passed". Eh? What? But I knocked over a cone and you failed me last time for it! "You only nicked it, didn't properly knock it over". Ok, brilliant!

So, despite passing it, I must say it was horrendous and I don't even feel happy about it. Was a horrible experience from start to finish :crybaby:

This was 2 days ago and I have successfully done the Mod 2 test today...will post the details later!

• 2 months later...

I had my Mod 1 for the first time today and passed with 1 minor.

My test was booked for 10:25am and throughout the whole week it has been constant rain here in Kent but luckily the sun was out and the roads were relatively dry this morning.

I arrived at the test centre whilst another guy was sitting his Mod 1 on a CB500 and this was when the nerves really kicked in :crybaby:

10:25 came around and the examiner checked my documents and he seemed a really nice guy.

We went outside where he checked over my bike and the test started!

Manual handling was not a problem, then came the slalom and figure of eight which is what I was least confident about but everything seamed to click into place this morning :D

Next came the slow ride and the U-turn which was easy enough.

The controlled stop I wasn't that nervous about but I was worried about getting to the required speed for the Emergency stop and the Hazard Avoidance... I got 51KPH for the Emergency stop and 50KPH for the emergency stop.

The minor was because the examiner thought I could have stopped a bit quicker for the emergency stop which I agree on.

Overall it was not as bad as I thought it would be, and those yet to take the test just remember what you have been taught during your training and take a deep breath before each manoeuvre :cheers:

Had my MOD1 yesterday afternoon and passed first time!

Had a lesson on saturday and was doing okay apart from the U-turn...every so often i went a bit slow and put my foot down. slalom, figure of 8 and stop in the box were fine...the speed ones i kept hitting 48-49...which is pass but a minor!

Anyway the test date arrived and it started to rain....got on the bike and had a great ride out to the test centre! pulled up on an industrial estate before to practise the u-turns! put my foot down on all but 1 out of 5 attempts :(

arrived at test centre slighlty more nervous than i had been prior to the u-turn practise. did all manouvers fine even the u-turn was the best i had done. Hit 54kph for both speed tests and passed without any minors...Mod2 booked! half way there!!

• 3 months later...

failed my module 1 for the second time today, first time i locked the rear brake on the emergency stop and clipped the blue cone on the test today :x looks like i wont be joining SOA any time soon lol.

Any tips for the swerve? - I also find it hard to get back on line to stop within the 2 blue cones after i have completed it. After i have come out of the swerve should i be straightening up before applying the brake, also should it only be front brake? i just find the cones are almost upon me as soon as i have swerved and panic a little

thanks guys

failed my module 1 for the second time today, first time i locked the rear brake on the emergency stop and clipped the blue cone on the test today :x looks like i wont be joining SOA any time soon lol.

Any tips for the swerve? - I also find it hard to get back on line to stop within the 2 blue cones after i have completed it. After i have come out of the swerve should i be straightening up before applying the brake, also should it only be front brake? i just find the cones are almost upon me as soon as i have swerved and panic a little

thanks guys

on my mod1 training ( a 1 hour lesson) i figured a way of getting up to around 35mph + in 2nd gear (thats the important part) and letting off the throttle about ten metres before the speed trap and using engine braking to do most of the work for me, then after i'd swerved around the cone and straightened up it didn't require as much braking because the gear is slowing you down

going at a steady 31 ish mph and having to slam on the brakes was more difficult for me

i dont know if that tip makes any sense ?

thanks guys

on my mod1 training ( a 1 hour lesson) i figured a way of getting up to around 35mph + in 2nd gear (thats the important part) and letting off the throttle about ten metres before the speed trap and using engine braking to do most of the work for me, then after i'd swerved around the cone and straightened up it didn't require as much braking because the gear is slowing you down

going at a steady 31 ish mph and having to slam on the brakes was more difficult for me

Did you take it on a 125? I found the engines almost screaming as i come up to the speed trap, 10 metres would be quite far back no?

So you let off the throttle just before going through the speed trap rather than as soon as you go through?

That makes sense to me that as you have already let up off the throttle it would give you more time to get in line, im just concerned about not making the speed limit...

thanks guys

Did you take it on a 125? I found the engines almost screaming as i come up to the speed trap, 10 metres would be quite far back no?

So you let off the throttle just before going through the speed trap rather than as soon as you go through?

That makes sense to me that as you have already let up off the throttle it would give you more time to get in line, im just concerned about not making the speed limit...

no mate i was on a 500cc bike and second gear was just about perfect to give me sufficient engine braking, and that is screaming a bit on the gs 500 i took my test on!

but in answer to your other question yes i let off before the speed trap, it just gives you more time to concentrate on the manoeuvre and your slowing all the time too!

no mate i was on a 500cc bike and second gear was just about perfect to give me sufficient engine braking, and that is screaming a bit on the gs 500 i took my test on!

but in answer to your other question yes i let off before the speed trap, it just gives you more time to concentrate on the manoeuvre and your slowing all the time too!

just thinking and that doesnt sound too much of a bad idea letting up jus before the speed trap, i 100% agree more time to concerntrate on the actual swerve just worried about the speed being under but then again if it is id get another go!

Not sure about you guys doing it on a 125 who have to have the engine wound right up, but on a 500 you can change up into third as you exit the corner, waft the throttle open a bit and just drift through the speed trap at well over 50 KPH, I know because that's what I did. No need to wind it all the way up in second and have that frenetic feeling transmitting itself into how you ride.

On a 500, go round the bend in second, as you start to sit the bike up give it a little squirt then change up. Keep the throttle open to give yourself drive, but you are not trying to smash it through the stops, no need.

There is not even a swerve 'out' You can line up from out of the corner, see the speed trap cones and the blue cone you have to go round the outside of and if you take the right line it turns it into a gentle bend. As soon as you have made the blue cone, shut the throttle, swerve back into line and brake to a halt.

I found if you think you are struggling to make 50 so have everything wailing and thrashing away in second, you also wail and thrash away and feel unnecessarily hurried. Do it in third with just a bit of revs and it all seems so much less effort and easier.

For the actual swerve back bit, where you do actually swerve, my instructor got me to practice swerving around the 30 MPH signs they paint on the road (check no traffic around and the road condition is right etc) It seems to give you the right amount of bar pushing and hip wiggling required, but as I said, when it is not all frenetic you have loads of time to pop the bike back in line and brake to a stop.

Not sure about you guys doing it on a 125 who have to have the engine wound right up, but on a 500 you can change up into third as you exit the corner, waft the throttle open a bit and just drift through the speed trap at well over 50 KPH, I know because that's what I did. No need to wind it all the way up in second and have that frenetic feeling transmitting itself into how you ride.

On a 500, go round the bend in second, as you start to sit the bike up give it a little squirt then change up. Keep the throttle open to give yourself drive, but you are not trying to smash it through the stops, no need.

There is not even a swerve 'out' You can line up from out of the corner, see the speed trap cones and the blue cone you have to go round the outside of and if you take the right line it turns it into a gentle bend. As soon as you have made the blue cone, shut the throttle, swerve back into line and brake to a halt.

I found if you think you are struggling to make 50 so have everything wailing and thrashing away in second, you also wail and thrash away and feel unnecessarily hurried. Do it in third with just a bit of revs and it all seems so much less effort and easier.

For the actual swerve back bit, where you do actually swerve, my instructor got me to practice swerving around the 30 MPH signs they paint on the road (check no traffic around and the road condition is right etc) It seems to give you the right amount of bar pushing and hip wiggling required, but as I said, when it is not all frenetic you have loads of time to pop the bike back in line and brake to a stop.

thanks for the reply much appreciated but im doing it on a 125 - so going into third will no way allow me to make the 32mph speed needed. I think i did 51kph on emergency stop and 52 on swerve yesterday and that was up into the max revs.

do any of you think that letting off the throttle slightly earlier i.e. just before the bike goes through the speedo rather than just after will drop me under the requirement?

my way of thinking is that if i let off a little earlier so its not all one big rush will give me that split second to focus more on the swerve. if i get lucky might be fast enough, worst case i get another go?

• 4 weeks later...

I did the Mod 1 yesterday and failed because I was 1 km/h too slow on the avoidance test. Apparently the minimum is 50 but they allow 48 and I manged just 47. I now have to pay another £130 to the training company to hire their 600 cc bike and have a four hour session with an instructor to accompany me to the DSA site. So 1 km/h is costing me £130 and I'm not impressed that civil servants can impose that on us.

If I don't pass the 2nd time I can't afford another £130 to try it a 3rd time so am going to have to ditch the training company and have my 3rd attempt on my CBF125 and once the Mod 2 is passed take the restriction for 2 years once I eventually get a full licence.

That's preferable to forking out over a £100 every time things don't go my way.

Hopefully it won't happen again.

I don't want this to sound rude, so please don't take it that way. Many people manage the speed fine on a 125 so 600 should be even easier (in theory?) Maybe it's worth practicing that maneuver a bit more, increasing your confidence. I can't see moving to your 125 a wise move.

Good luck either way, you will get there in the end!

Thanks haz_pro. I didn't see any rudeness in your reply.

I can see your point about the 125 and I have no problem riding at 60 when the law allows and can handle both the 125 and the 600 around bends etc. but it's the money that would cause me to switch to the 125 for the tests if I am not successful the 2nd time. The Mod 1 test is only £15.50 so when that is compared to £130 you can see why I would be tempted to do that.

I think it was just nerves that caused me to be too cautious with the speed and was told by my instructors not to look at the speedo but rather rely on the sound of the engine in 2nd gear, but I guess my musical pitch isn't as good as theirs :crybaby: