whats Stupid about the CBT.....

My boy just failed his CBT and it sounds basicaly like the trainer couldn't be bothered to train him.

He had never been on a bike before but by lunchtime was sent home and told to come back another week and Do it on a twist and go.

Now he may well go back and pass on a twist and go but would then go streight out and by a 125 geared !

So Why, when you take a test on a vehicle with the DSA you can only Drive geared if you pass on a geared or if you passed on a Auto you can only drive Automatics.

I know the CBT is not a TEST as such But it is a permit showiing competence to Ride On the road, and Is Passing it on a twist and go really showing competence to ride a geared on your own on the road after the Trainer said your Not up to it In effect :hammer:

He was told the £99 was going to have 45 deducted as if it was a trial lesson and he will need to pay another £54 next week to do the cbt on a 50cc moped

To my mind this is utter Crap but you may think otherwise :)

My boy just failed his CBT and it sounds basicaly like the trainer couldn't be bothered to train him.

He had never been on a bike before but by lunchtime was sent home and told to come back another week and Do it on a twist and go.

Now he may well go back and pass on a twist and go but would then go streight out and by a 125 geared !

So Why, when you take a test on a vehicle with the DSA you can only Drive geared if you pass on a geared or if you passed on a Auto you can only drive Automatics.

I know the CBT is not a TEST as such But it is a permit showiing competence to Ride On the road, and Is Passing it on a twist and go really showing competence to ride a geared on your own on the road after the Trainer said your Not up to it In effect :hammer:

He was told the £99 was going to have 45 deducted as if it was a trial lesson and he will need to pay another £54 next week to do the cbt on a 50cc moped

To my mind this is utter Crap but you may think otherwise :)

I agree it does sound like the trainer didnt want to bother to train him or didnt have the time. How many others where on the course? - Im sure it can make a difference to the time they have available for each.

Does anyone know the number of riders an instructor can train off road ready for the 2hr cbt ride at any one time?

Doesn't sound great Polecat :(

at least he hasn't lost a whole £99. Is there an alternative traing school?

Well they didnt give him back the money they are holding on to it until he tops it up next week so they have a captive pupil I guess.

They should Not in my opinion Tell someone to go on an automatic Just because they need more time to learn clutch control than some others else why is it called "Training" in CBT

Also he found them Rude and impatient So I guess CBT training Is going Down hill and may put alot of people of the Bike experience altogether ?

Needs alot of Sorting out In my opinion Or Maby the DSA will need to take charge of it more ?

its a buyers market, he needs to demand his 'remaining' money back and find a different school.

in my opinion.

but this is all subjective because i have no idea of any of the details other than what you have said. Going on what you have said, i'd be going somewhere else and reporting the first place.

I was shocking at clutch control when I did my CBT, sometimes even revving up to 9,000 rpm before attempting to find biting point! My instructor persevered & got me through no worries.

I'd be inclined to insist on some money back & then go elsewhere.

Sounds like a lose lose situation, surely the idea of basic training is to train you to ride a bike. As you said, in a car, auto test, auto license, manual test, manual license. I was worried about the possibility of doing my cbt on an auto, but my instructor agreed that it would be a waste of time, especially for someone like me who had never ridden a bike before, so i needed to learn how to ride a manual bike, which is surely one of the reasons behind a cbt! To learn! At the end of the day, your boy is the customer, if he wants to learn on a manual, then thats what he should do, even if he needs extra training.

did the instructor know your lad wanted a cbt for a geared bike?

if so contact a solicitor because they are in breach of the contract they made with your lad.

or just threaten them with a solicitor

oh sure they new and he has no interest in a twist and go But they have kind of forced his hand really which is why I think something is fundamentaly Wrong with the CBT system and the people that Provide the training.

Bit like I have always thought Only VOSA should be able to Do mot's, Not garages who have an interest in you "failing" if you see what I mean :wink:

I couldn't get the hang of clutch control when I did my CBT either, I was asked to go back for another morning with the instructor at a cost of £40. I did'nt mind this coz he was good about it and explained what I was doing wrong and how to get over it!

Sounds to me like this guy just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of actually having to teach someone. If I were you I'd go down with your lad and demand a geared CBT and then "sit in" on the day and see what the guy is like. Chances are if you turn up on your bike he will know you know what you are doing and actually do the CBT properly!

I couldn't get the hang of clutch control when I did my CBT either, I was asked to go back for another morning with the instructor at a cost of £40. I did'nt mind this coz he was good about it and explained what I was doing wrong and how to get over it!

Sounds to me like this guy just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of actually having to teach someone. If I were you I'd go down with your lad and demand a geared CBT and then "sit in" on the day and see what the guy is like. Chances are if you turn up on your bike he will know you know what you are doing and actually do the CBT properly!

:D

Hi everyone. Yeah I believe there is some terrible training schools which just don't give a crap about training people up properly. when i took my cbt last year it was my first time on a bike too , Fell of it as soon as i got on lol but the instructer pushed and pushed and got me through the course and got my certificate. So I don't think they should be able to do that saying you hav'nt got good clutch control and come back and do it on a 50 cc scooter as you've paid £100 for that course. just glad i have a decent instructor and its a ratio of 2 students to 1 instructor

When I did both my cbt and my full licence lessons, I was the opposite to your boy so can see in a way why the instructor might have done it. Each one I did I did it with someone who wasn't a natural to put it politely and ended up feeling as though I had spent the same amount of money for my days tuition but saw very little tuition as the instructor was having to spend the majority of it with the less than natural riders. The days I got my instructor to myself were great though but I couldn't help feel I'd spent more than I should have.

Maybe, if he was really struggling, the instructor could tell that by the time it was time for the road ride he wouldn't be able to do it. Also he knows that it just needs a bit of practise and that if he gets a certificate on a scooter then afterwards he can learn clutch control at his leisure for free. What he'll learn about roadcraft on the twist&go is worth more than learning clutch control which is just muscle memory.

However, if they were rude and impationt like you say then it may well be that they couldn't be arsed. But at the same time i imagine if they just let him do a full day and failed @ a cost of £100, or whatever, you'd be even worse off.

I think the important stuff doesn't matter if it's geared or not though. As soon as hes got the certificate you can take him up the industrial estate and iron out the wrinkles :)

Maybe, if he was really struggling, the instructor could tell that by the time it was time for the road ride he wouldn't be able to do it. Also he knows that it just needs a bit of practise and that if he gets a certificate on a scooter then afterwards he can learn clutch control at his leisure for free. What he'll learn about roadcraft on the twist&go is worth more than learning clutch control which is just muscle memory.

However, if they were rude and impationt like you say then it may well be that they couldn't be arsed. But at the same time i imagine if they just let him do a full day and failed @ a cost of £100, or whatever, you'd be even worse off.

I think the important stuff doesn't matter if it's geared or not though. As soon as hes got the certificate you can take him up the industrial estate and iron out the wrinkles :)

good point well made :)

good point well made :)

Might be wrong, but it's the only explanation i can think of other than them being rubbish.

Couldnt have put this better myself, agree 100%.

I did my CBT on a twist and go ... they said i could try geared but I didnt see the point, i wanted teh CBT and chose the easiest way possible. Then got myself a CG125, and in my own time, no pressure, learnt the gears soon enough, and rode that for a year before doing my licence. Cant really say anything more than aaron has said here.

Couldnt have put this better myself, agree 100%.

I did my CBT on a twist and go ... they said i could try geared but I didnt see the point, i wanted teh CBT and chose the easiest way possible. Then got myself a CG125, and in my own time, no pressure, learnt the gears soon enough, and rode that for a year before doing my licence. Cant really say anything more than aaron has said here.

This is how I will look at it then as its all about him not the Trainers and Ill take him Down the Car park when he gets a proper Bike :)

His CBT is for this coming Friday so we shall have to see ......... :shock:

I'd threaten them with Trading standards, get your money back and look for a better school! Sounds as though they dont dont value customer satisfaction.

I had a problem with my original riding school, they just fobbed me off constantly with excuses. I eventually gave up, chose another school and passed my test first time :)

I had to go back & do a 2nd day to get my CBT cos it took me a while to get used to riding a geared bike, having not ridden one for so long. But I didn't have to pay any more money as the fee was for the CBT, regardless of how long it took to get it.

Back to your original point though yes, I think it's wrong that a youngster should be able to get their CBT on a twist & go then jump on a geared bike. The majority of them are young and don't have the road experience that others who have possibly got a driving licence have, so to cope with developing roadcraft AND riding a geared bike could be an accident waiting to happen!

I think maybe there should be a kind of top-up CBT to move from a twist & go to a geared bike after a given period of time.

I had to go back & do a 2nd day to get my CBT cos it took me a while to get used to riding a geared bike, having not ridden one for so long. But I didn't have to pay any more money as the fee was for the CBT, regardless of how long it took to get it.

Back to your original point though yes, I think it's wrong that a youngster should be able to get their CBT on a twist & go then jump on a geared bike. The majority of them are young and don't have the road experience that others who have possibly got a driving licence have, so to cope with developing roadcraft AND riding a geared bike could be an accident waiting to happen!

I think maybe there should be a kind of top-up CBT to move from a twist & go to a geared bike after a given period of time.

Good it's not just me then :)

Anyway he's back out there at the moment and not come home yet so thats a good sign lol

Oh well....

Apparently he FAILED to meet the required standard and was Binned off

So he has said to Mrs Polecat he would like Driving lessons in her car :roll:

For those of you who Don't yet have kids ............. :hammer: Don't Do it :!:

I think the problem is that the market is saturated with people wanting to get their CBT/DAS/etc done and as this is UK most companies care only about easy money and they don't want to risk accidents or train people when they can get someone else in their place who will ride the bike safely.

Just call any motorbike school, almost the whole duration of summer they are fully booked and you have to wait few weeks before you can get your CBT or any training done, it's the same when booking MOD1 and MOD2, 1-2 months waiting time is nothing unusual.