Fair weather bikers

Rollingskies

<t>Are you a fair weather biker?</t>  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a fair weather biker?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but I only have bike as transport

I admit I ride when it's dry. I don't mind the cold. Just not when it's raining. That means proper rain, not the odd piece of cloud spittle. :mrgreen:

So do you take the car or other similar caged transport if its bombing down out there? Getting caught out doesn't count.

The worst weather ive rode in was freezing fog, i had to ride with my visor open as i was covered head to foot in a layer of ice. I have good gear tho so apart from not being able to see i was fine. Frozen roads isnt very plesent to ride on but as long as you're careful it isnt that bad. Rain isnt a problem either and i dont mind wind as long as its under 50 mph.

The 100+ mile journey to the TMBF rally last Saturday was something special!! It started raining when we left and got heavier as we went on. Basically it rained for the whole journey and hard enough to penetrate my wet weather gear. But there was a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

I have to say that I don't enjoy riding in the rain these days....and the bike is about enjoyment. So, unless I specifically want to take the bike, I'd normally wimp out and take the car.

Bob

I'm a fair-weather camper.

Rode to Billing in the rain, pitched the tent in the rain, parked the bike on the stand in the rain.

Came home in the car for pizza and beers leaving bike and pizza in the rain...

The first day of my DAS was below 0 and there was ice on the roads. My visor was freezing up on the outside so I had to have it open for the whole day :lol: Cold wind blowing in my eyes meant tears. Tears and cold wind and freezing temperature meant frost in corners of my eyes :lol: But it was fun.

I'm not afraid of the rain. I am not made of sugar :thumb:

I ride my bike every day except when it is snowing. Don't mind the rain, makes you think about your riding a lot more and improves your skills I think as you have to adjust a lot. Hate riding in the wind. Really do. Don't know how to handle wind on the bike, I just hate it. Everything else I don't mind. Got a nice top of the range car to play with when I want but I tend to use that just when I have the kids over. Bike all the way for me.

Used to ride all year unless there was snow or ice about. Now I ride just for fun and there ain’t no fun in going out in the cold or wet [1].

Obviously if I'm out for a week doing an RBR trip or somesuch then I soldier on bravely, but if I'm thinking of having a bimble someday it needs to be dry before I get out the door 8-)

[1] Just like playing golf.

That was tent, not pizza. Far too many warm & dry beers!

The day I came off 7 times in the snow on the way to work in Burnham-on-Crouch and 6 on the way home was the last time I gave a flying qhatsit about being a fair-weather biker.

Bike all year round for me, I did use the car just before Xmas when I dropped it but two nights in a working year ain't bad. Also saves me approx £1300 a year on tolls.

Only ever tipped up at a bike events on 4 wheels when I was carrying display stands & marquees.

Up until last year was all year round for me, but now I have my own car (willow used the family car) I am fun only, that doesn't mean fair weather but if it's raining I now choose if I want to ride or not. If I am going to an event and it's raining then i will still ride but if it's a sun blast then good weather only :)

I will not ride in the snow (have done in the test), but will ride in the rain if necessary, just think in this country its something you have to do.

However if i have access to the car for work if its pissing down i will use it.

I think the poll lies! Some of you "fair weather bikers" are clicking the wrong box :)

Coming up to winter that % goes down to about 5% at the most.

When it rains in the summer you will get more out and about but I think that's cause we have to get to work.

I got my bike in the autum last year because I was working very long (16 hour) awkward shifts at weekends, every weekend.

So my choice at the time was pass my CBT and get a bike on finance, or spend 2 hours on a bus (3 hours on a sunday) to get to work... then get a taxi home which would cost a fortune.

I got used to the bike and started using it for work, in this time I had to ride in some terrible weather without any lower body protective gear which would leave me soaked through and ice cold. Not the best experience. High winds were not very nice either.

And there was one morning, it was a monday, 6.30am freezing cold, very windy, lots of traffic on roads, fog and heavy rain. I spent from about 3am til 6.30am shitting myself wondering how the hell I am going to get home in this weather. I did it tho, it was just very scary and not very nice. Thanked the gods I was still alive when I got home lol.

As for now... I am not much of a rider, still trying to get my confidence back after my accident in november (not caused by weather). So when I do go out to get practise I wont go in the rain.

The goal is to get using the bike for work again, so I do also need to get used to riding in all weathers (bar ice, snow and bad storms).

One thing I do have to say is you should try to avoid riding when very tired. One time, early Sunday morning, riding home after a long shift... I got home to notice that my rucksack with £1000 worth of laptop inside it had been wide open the whole journey home, luckily nothing fell out.

My bike is my only form of transport, hubby has the car. I have to say i got caught out earlier in the year and had to ride home 18 miles in the snow which was a bit dicey specially downhill! but i made it and stayed upright only to fall over at the top of my road lol.

Got to admit we had 18 inches of snow them few days and i had to admit defeat to the weather as we couldnt even get the car out so had no chance with the bike as our road doesnt get gritted!.ridden in pea soup fog, driving rain and freezing fog my bike gear was frozen when i got home covered in a layer of ice. its a treat when its sunny lol :lol:

been out on the bike in all weathers. probably the worst is the hot weather. the temptation to lose some of the protective gear is quite strong. never done it yet... the only thing that will stop me riding though is the snow. i will not get the bike out if there's a chance that i'll drop it before the end of the drive. i've been out in all weathers. it's all an experience. i work from home now though, on remote support, so i don't have to travel. the bike hasn't been out for about 3 months now. :(

still class myself as a all weather biker though

ride whenever and wherever. When i had the scoot, i rode on untreated roads in the snow. I like to think it has increased my road awareness slightly, teaching myself to ride in ALL weather (apart from floods) on a crappy bike when the roads are clear from other traffic for that inevitable time that the bad weather comes and I HAVE to ride in it when i have something bigger and more expensive

My bike is for leisure/fun only so I can't see the point of taking out it through choice when it's p*ssing down, windy or freezing cold and I will be suffering - so yes I am a fair weather biker :D