Should people who pass DAS have some kind of restriction

Boothy

<t>Should people who pass DAS have some kind of restriction for there first year?</t>  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should people who pass DAS have some kind of restriction for there first year?

• Yes
    • No

.........unless you were a pink jacket and ask daft effing questions.

in which case you should have hi vis stabilizers fitted to your 7bhp bike and be forced to ride behind a man carrying a red flag

Insurance does a pretty good job of pricing out idiots. The fact that you must be 21 to do DAS must save loads of lives and is probably a pretty good restriction IMO in itself. Like everyone says if someone really wants to kill themselves being stupid they can do that on a 125.

Althought I voted no, I wouldn't be too upset if there was a higher restriction - perhaps <650cc for 2 years after DAS.

Don't direct all your opinions at me... 9 other people voted yes... Although I did start the thread I did it because I wanted to see what other people thought without going off topic.

Am Kind of amazed by that, am wondering how many were up in arms about the eu's recent proposed interfearance?

I have to say if some of us are willing to kick ourselves in the genitalia how much harder is MAG's job gonna be in the future?

Be careful what you wish for ;)

Don't direct all your opinions at me... 9 other people voted yes... Although I did start the thread I did it because I wanted to see what other people thought without going off topic.

Am Kind of amazed by that

It's because people no matter how old they are go for bikes that are way too much for them when they have had hardly any road time, as has come to light in recent threads.

I'm not suggesting that people should have a 33BHP limit... just a limit to stop them getting very big bikes too soon, 100BHP or something like that, nor am I suggesting it should be 2 years.

Maybe if you quoted my whole post you would get my actual point. :roll:

So what would you suggest, not allowing people supersorts 600's plenty on here did and woah shit me they survived.

Or people getting 1250 bandits like sue lewis oh my god shes not dead, how the hell?

Its not the machine its the mentality, unfortunatly theres no government legislation that can deal with that!

:stupid:

Way I see it, if you've passed you're DAS, then you have proved your ability to ride safely on the roads and shouldn't be restricted to certain power limits.

As for the 33hp limits on A2 licence holders, i'll get back to you in a month or so :wink:

I'm sure i'll disagree with it after a wee while when i'll be looking for a little bit more out the hornet, but even restricted it will probably scare the shit out of me at first :lol:

I do think however that after doing a cbt you should be able to drive things at least slightly more powerful than 15hp, so you can at least consistently be able to reach 70 mph. Sometimes being able to go faster is safer!

I vote no for the simple fact I am going down the DAS route and wouldn't want to be restricted. I do think maybe though that we should at least have to use L plates for the first few months or so just so every other road user know you might not be as expereinced as others and are prone to mistakes. Well I plan on using L plates after my DAS for a few months.

Well I plan on using L plates after my DAS for a few months.

You might want to check the legalities of displaying L Plates when you have a full licence, I'm pretty sure its an offence to display them if you hold a full licence for the vehicle that you are driving/riding. The exception to this rule being driving instructors. I think this is where the displaying of P plates for new drivers came from (not sure if this is an option on a bike).

You might want to check the legalities of displaying L Plates when you have a full licence, I'm pretty sure its an offence to display them if you hold a full licence for the vehicle that you are driving/riding. The exception to this rule being driving instructors. I think this is where the displaying of P plates for new drivers came from (not sure if this is an option on a bike).

Oh right :shock:

Well then just have to try my best to blend in then :lol:

But they should really make it an option for people who have just passed there DAS.

Oh right :shock:

Well then just have to try my best to blend in then :lol:

But they should really make it an option for people who have just passed there DAS.

Or green P's personally I couldn't wait to get mine off. If your not confident enough to go straight on a big bike without them, then maybe DAS isn't for you and you should do A2 instead.

P plates don't mean anything here, they're part of Irish traffic law

If your not confident enough to go straight on a big bike without them, then maybe DAS isn't for you and you should do A2 instead.

Its not that I don't feel confident as I feel more than capable even though I've nevre even sat on a bike! Its just when you have L plates traffic seems more weary about what your going to do.

But still, gotta try it before I can rule it out. Plus I've waited for this time for years.

I passed my DAS only a month ago and got myself a CBR600F and find it way more user friendly than i thought it would be.

Tbh anything more than a group insurance group 14 bike will give silly high insurance or wont offer you any. that and the fact that by the time you finish the DAS you should relise that a R1 as a first bike is a bit silly.

But then again i know people who have done has got 1L sports and been totally fine.

I dont see what difference doing a DAS at 21 or 45? eather way you have no bike experience, if anything at the age of 45 you will have slower reactions if you havent riden a bike before...

Altho a lot of people knobs and show of a lot and prob hurt themselves but thats there choice, they will still highside on a 500cc as there still quick compared to there 1.2L fiesta.

If your not confident enough to go straight on a big bike without them, then maybe DAS isn't for you and you should do A2 instead.

Its not that I don't feel confident as I feel more than capable even though I've nevre even sat on a bike! Its just when you have L plates traffic seems more weary about what your going to do.

I think it makes people want to get past you as your a obstruction, rather thananother road user.

i am with boothy on this one!

i am restricted and it doesnt bother me, i dont want a more powerful bike until i have more experience,

i also think the same with car drivers, you get some 17 yearolds who pass there test and go and get a evo or simular and normaly crash it within weeks cause they cant handle the speed, but its there and to tempting not to use,

same as the powerful bikes after a das,

yes you have proven you can ride a bike thats 600cc and above, but you have not got the experience when things goes wrong cause you have given to much throttle,

you clock up lots of pratice on a 125 but theres hardly any power, if you could put L plates on a 600cc it would be different,

im not saying alot of restriction, but something like a 600cc not a 1100, maybe for the first year or so many miles,

waiting for the comebacks now :lol:

Let's face it no-one here thinks we should allow 17 year olds to drive formula 1 cars on public roads. Most people would also probably think no-one should be driving them on public roads. They are illegal for a good reason. So why do some people think that 19 year old who has ridden for 2 years on 125's or a 21 year old who has ridden a motorbike for just 5 days should be able to buy and ride the formula 1 equivalent in the motorcycle world?

i am with boothy on this one!

i am restricted and it doesnt bother me, i dont want a more powerful bike until i have more experience,

i also think the same with car drivers, you get some 17 yearolds who pass there test and go and get a evo or simular and normaly crash it within weeks cause they cant handle the speed, but its there and to tempting not to use,

same as the powerful bikes after a das,

yes you have proven you can ride a bike thats 600cc and above, but you have not got the experience when things goes wrong cause you have given to much throttle,

you clock up lots of pratice on a 125 but theres hardly any power, if you could put L plates on a 600cc it would be different,

im not saying alot of restriction, but something like a 600cc not a 1100, maybe for the first year or so many miles,

waiting for the comebacks now :lol:

Many people would never dream of using violence, or the threat of violence, to coerce you into doing, or not doing, what they want. I suspect that all they would ask in return is that you extend them the same courtesy.

this debate baffles me.. :roll:

riding bikes is inherently dangerous.

and no restrictions will ever make it safe!

a 600 sportsbike that does 160mph? or a 1000rr that will do 180 ish?

there aint no difference when the rider gets it wrong.

if anyone wants to self impose a restriction on themselves then that is up to them. and good on them i say.

but to suggest more restrictions on a free thinking part of society who are already treated as imbeciles by those in government/eu is ridiculous.

if, after proving your ability by passing the strictest driving test(s) in the county you dont want a fast bike, (which they all are) then dont bloody ride one.

soapbox.. dismounted.