spelling

BikerBoy414

(nearly put 'speling'! that woodve bin embaresing! lol) :lol:

hey guys, thers been some talk on the forum recenly about my spelling, i was told i was dyslexic in school but i dont know, i think it mite just be lazynes lol j/k.

partly just to say that im makin an effort from now on to be more clear as i know it has the tendence to anoy. but mainly to ask you guys how u are at spelling and whether u enjoy word/langage games?

hey guys, thers been some talk on the forum recenly about my spelling, i was told i was dyslexic in school but i dont know, i think it mite just be lazynes lol j/k.

partly just to say that im makin an effort from now on to be more clear as i know it has the tendence to anoy. but mainly to ask you guys how u are at spelling and whether u enjoy word/langage games?

It's lazyness. When you can be bothered your spelling is actually quite good.

And it doesn't annoy (me), it simply makes me roll my eyes since there's little or no excuse for it quite frankly.

If you want to make yourself understood and want to encourage people to enter into a dialogue with you online, you need to learn how to spell or use a spell checker, failing which you simply resign yourself to a lifetime of dialogue with people that are equally lazy (or "dyslexic" as some prefer to call it).

haha thanks guys! :lol:

If you want to make yourself understood and want to encourage people to enter into a dialogue with you online, you need to learn how to spell or use a spell checker, failing which you simply resign yourself to a lifetime of dialogue with people that are equally lazy (or "dyslexic" as some prefer to call it).

your talkin to me! are you tryin to tell us you are lazy bogof? lol j/k

i sumtimes try and do crosswords etc but they just dont interst me! :oops:

The odd spelling mistake is fine, we all have typo's but some of your posts are unreadable (much like text speak, which annoys me like buggery!) Like Bogof said though, when you can be bothered your spelling is fine. You may well have dyslexia, but so has Richard Branson (apparently) so don't use it as an excuse to be lazy!

I think it is laziness, I thunk you know how to spell "you" but you use "u"

It's like text talk, ok on a mobile but this is a forum, I'd you are worried about spelling type on word first, even my phone has a spell checker, then cut and paste.... Simple!

http://i.qkme.me/eb6.jpg

I was thinking the same, it's odd quite how good the OP's spelling can be which makes me wonder if the bad spelling is forced? People tend to consistently type in 'text speak' or not at all whereas this poster appears to be quite bi-polar in their typing. I'm so used to trolling on another forum I use that I pretty assume all new user are trolls until proven otherwise!

I think the key thing to realise is that we're all quite mature here (in years if little else ;)) and we're all old enough and grumpy enough to dislike text speak. It's seen as lazy and wilfully ignorant. It's really not hard to type "you" instead of "u" and will earn you and your point more respect.

Personally I don't dislike it but I find it takes me much longer to read and decipher what's being said and whether I like it or not, a mental image and pre-judgement of the author forms which isn't positive. If Stephen Hawking suddenly starts speaking in text speak then it might gain more respect but until then it will always be tarnished as a serious means of communication.

Spelling itself doesn't matter much, it's how your point comes across that matters as this old chestnut proves:

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

Believe it or not I can read that much quicker than I can read txt spk

i'm srue you hvae all seen tihs befroe, but as lnog as the frist and lsat lteters of a wrod are in the crorcet plcae, it dosen't mtater waht oredr the ohter letetrs are in, yuor brain can sitll wrok out the maening!

itnresting i tihnk.

I am dyslexic and when I was at school I was taught the old-fashioned way how to spell and how to use grammar. Both are equally important in making yourself clearly understood.

It may be worth getting a dyslexia test, help is available for those of us who have to work twice as hard as everyone else to write properly.

A good trick is to read what you have written, notice spelling errors and then restructure the sentence to ensure that there is firstly, a well-formed main clause, secondly, that any dependent clauses are consistent with the main clause and thirdly, that the use of prepositions is minimised.

Lastly, anyone who says dyslexia doesn't exist is ill-informed.

A good trick is to read what you have written, notice spelling errors and then restructure the sentence to ensure that there is firstly, a well-formed main clause, secondly, that any dependent clauses are consistent with the main clause and thirdly, that the use of prepositions is minimised.

I'm not dyslexic but I have no idea what you're going on about there.. :?

Lol! Simply put, a main clause is that part of a sentence that makes sense on its own. Dependent clauses are those parts of the sentence that do not make sense on their own.

For example: "I have an SV650, it is blue". "I have an SV650" is the main clause. "it is blue" is the dependent (or subordinate) clause.

So advertising slogans are often grammatically shocking, e.g. "have it your way" (Burger King). Have what "your way"? That is a sentence with a possessive subject (your), but no object. Strictly speaking, it is a subordinate clause without a main clause, added to which, it is ambiguous. It should really be, "You can have our burgers and other rapidly cooked foodstuffs prepared and served in a way of your choosing" ... but then that wouldn't be quite so catchy!

Lol! Simply put, a main clause is that part of a sentence that makes sense on its own. Dependent clauses are those parts of the sentence that do not make sense on their own.

For example: "I have an SV650, it is blue". "I have an SV650" is the main clause. "it is blue" is the dependent (or subordinate) clause.

So advertising slogans are often grammatically shocking, e.g. "have it your way" (Burger King). Have what "your way"? That is a sentence with a possessive subject (your), but no object. Strictly speaking, it is a subordinate clause without a main clause, added to which, it is ambiguous. It should really be, "You can have our burgers and other rapidly cooked foodstuffs prepared and served in a way of your choosing" ... but then that wouldn't be quite so catchy!

That what I thought you meant.. :wink:

Maybe I should have paid more attention in English classes at school :lol:

I did some journalism at university, working on the student newspaper. Something we were taught was how to make articles easier to read, especially since they came in newspaper style columns. Simply, keep your sentences short, get to the point and have lots of breaks.

A mass of text with little punctuation is harder to read, harder to follow and will often be either missed out or skimmed over.

On a forum, like a newspaper, people are looking for a fast read and so I have adopted the journalist style of presentation.

I did some journalism at university, working on the student newspaper. Something we were taught was how to make articles easier to read, especially since they came in newspaper style columns. Simply, keep your sentences short, get to the point and have lots of breaks.

A mass of text with little punctuation is harder to read, harder to follow and will often be either missed out or skimmed over.

On a forum, like a newspaper, people are looking for a fast read and so I have adopted the journalist style of presentation.

That's excellent advice for all walks of life ... except mathematics ... mathematicians delight in long, drawn-out descriptions where one sentence can go on for 5 lines ... :shock:

I quite agree! :thumb:

However I really DON'T agree with using text speak on a forum - I don't even like using it in a text unless I'm trying to shorten it to fit into 1 text! :evil:

I appreciate that some people do struggle with dyslexia which affects spelling but text speak has nothing to do with dyslexia!

I admit to being particular about spelling (probably an age thing!) and I fear that text messaging is creating a generation who know nothing else!