What path did you take towards your bike license ?

Which way did you go ?

How much did it cost you at the time?

Would you of done it a different way if you had another chance ?

A.cbt->125cc->theory->mod1->mod2->(restricted)

B.cbt->125cc(few months)->theory->das->mod1->mod2->(full license)

c.cbt->theory->das->mod1->mod2->(full license,no prior experience on 2 wheels before cbt or experience between cbt and das)

Option c for me.

I considered getting a 125 after doing the cbt but was advised by my instructor not to bother, so I didn't and it doesn't seem to have done me any harm. I can't remember exactly how may lessons I had but I reckon I paid a total of £400-£500 including the test fee's and cbt.

:cheers:

I went b

Mrs and I did our CBT's together and got a 125 between us.

Couple of months later I got in touch with a local school that quite a few people had recommended and they insisted I went on a ride with their instructor and they'd make a recommendation from there. After my ride he said he wouldn't recommend an intensive week's course for me so I had a lesson a week. First 6 or 7 lessons were on the 125 and then they asked if I wanted to do the test on the 125 or if I wanted to do DAS and start on the 500.

I went onto the 500, the Mrs was far more nervous and just wanted to do the test on the 125 she knew.

Lessons were £35 an hour on the 125 and £50 on the 500 (main difference being our bike/insurance/petrol or theirs :) ) and I guess I had ~8 lessons on the 125 and probably about the same again on the 500.

Whereabouts near Reading are you? I would heartily recommend the place I went to in Bracknell if you're out this way.

Back in 96, cbt on schools 125, then lessons with an instructor, one a week, did about 5 lessons on a kawasaki 650, then took das test at test centre. Think it was about £45 for a 2hr lesson, Loved every minute of it, and I would heartily recommend one on one lessons over an intensive course. Partly because after a week break, your subconscious has processed the things you were trying to learn the previous lesson and it all seems easier. I find trying to do it all immediately you are forcing info in and it doesn't seem as easy.

Reckon it cost me under £400 all in. I went out and bought a Z200 as it was cheap, but the engine was knacked so I got a CX500 that had been painted in camo for £300 and it was awesome!

2006 - CBT on twist n go (mate taught me to ride his Kwak AR50 when I was 14 (that was in 1984) and mucked about on and off road on a KMX 125 when I was 18) cos I just wanted to get the cert.

Theory- 2 days after CBT

DAS - think I did about 5 hours when they could fit me in (was a driving instructor at the time so my hours were flexible) on a GS500. this was over about 4 days.

Test- in my town the examiner followed you in a car at time. He's retired now so we have a proper one follow you on a bike.

B for me. The CBT is so comprehensive compared to what passed for a test years ago it felt safe to go out on a 125cc after completing it. The DAS then came at a leisurley pace with a lesson a month or so and then the Mod 1 and 2 came after 6 months. That also helped spread the cost and meantime the YBR125 I had lost three hundred pounds in value before I traded it in for a bigger bike.

Also B here. Bought cheap chinese copy-bike, rode it for about a year then went to school and did DAS. Only needed a 2-3 hours before each test and it cost me around £300 (including test fees) :mrgreen:

I did the CBT then bought a 125. Rode it for half a year then did the theory. Then booked a lesson and did mod 1. Did one more lesson and then mod 2. I reckon I spent about £170 on CBT and lessons and about £120 on the tests! The mod 2 was £75 I think.

C for me, can't remember how much it cost though would definitely would have been less if I hadn't put off booking my theory for ages (which in turn meant waiting ages for my mod 1 which I then failed 3 times) :roll:

Would I do it another way: no :)

CBT, Lessons on 125. Theory, Practical.

I could have done my direct access (i think can't remember if i was 21 or if that was the next year) but I wouldn't have done it another way. I had 2 years flying about on a restricted rd350 (much fun) which i could thrash to bits with out getting in trouble and building up my no claims.

Option B

I done CBT then bought a cg125 for £800, Rode it for 1 year and 11 months then passed theory and booked 4 lessons on a 500 and passed mod1 and mod2 just in time for the CBT to run out, Sold the cg for £825 with 11,000 more miles on it. Now got an ex school bike to get used to the extra power.

total cost was near £600, CBT training and test fees.

I had no experience did my theory one day and passed, CBT a week later and thought it was crap, DAS started the next day and passed my test 2 weeks after I started riding. Jumped on a 636 for a year then bought the 1400. you can do it any way you like, its up to you if you kill yourself or not while doing it !

C for me. Cost about £850 after I cocked up Mod 1 on day 4 of the course. I had to do two extra sessions to pass Mod 1 and then Mod 2 first time. I'd already spent a grand on gear and £4K on the bike sitting in the garage. Loving every minute of it.

Horses for courses really - if you feel confident and have respect for the machine and the learning process, why not go straight for a bigger bike? On the other hand, I can see the value of pootling around on a 125 for a bit- but get your license, don't repeat CBT forever.

Well I did A, got myself a little YBR125, got my CBT and rode around on it for six months because I wanted to get experience on my own before going for the test. Had a sit on a 500 to see how I felt but because I am short and couldn't flat foot decided doing the test on the 125 would give me the best chance of passing (which I did). I don't regret doing it that way, love my 650 Gladius (restricted) and don't feel short-changed in any way.

The total cost for lessons (of which I had two before Mod 1 and one before Mod 2) was around £300.