Engineering Placements..

Gin

Heya..

Sorry to pester you all but could do with some advice.

So, I've come to the second year of my degree which is around the time when they boot you into the world to see if you can fly for a year. :shock:

I'm applying for placement positions atm but was just wondering if I could have any advice.

Anything from CV to Covering letter would be really helpful.. :mrgreen:

I'm doing automotive Engineering so any company that works with engines or the likes are perfect if you guys can think of anymore I haven't yet!

Thanks loads all

x

I think I'd travel to just about anywhere!

For Kawasaki it would be Japan *Bounces off the wall with excitement!*

Ok so so far I've contacted:

Maclaren

Red Bull

Nissan - No reply so think its a no

Suzuki Racing - Still waiting to hear back

Yamaha - Not taking placements

Honda - Not taking placements at the moment

Honda Racing - Been told maybe a chance but wont know till may

Triumph - Still waiting to hear but fingers crossed

Jag/Landrover - Didn't get in

Cummins

Norton - Don't take placements

Has anyone got any advice on interviews?

Do your research, know what they do and names of important people.

Research the people who are conducting the interview and find out about recent personal and company achievements that you can talk about.

Ask lots of relevant questions that make you sound really keen.

Dont brown-nose, but if you can get the interviewer onto a subject they really enjoy, they will do most of the talking and you will stick in their mind ;)

Do your research, know what they do and names of important people.

Research the people who are conducting the interview and find out about recent personal and company achievements that you can talk about.

Ask lots of relevant questions that make you sound really keen.

Dont brown-nose, but if you can get the interviewer onto a subject they really enjoy, they will do most of the talking and you will stick in their mind ;)

I landed a job I really wanted in May, and one comment my now boss has made is how much research I'd done into the role, the company and the client. So totally agree with above, no such thing as too much research.

I also sat down and found loads of competency based questions online and wrote sample answers so when similarish questions came up I had already had answers at the front of my mind.

Take your time to answer well, 5 seconds to think your answer over might seem an age sat in silence but it isnt and will go a lot further in your favour than giving a bad answer, and relax. You have to let your enthusiasm and personality shine through, these people want to see they'll enjoy working with you

fingers crossed for you!

Toyota in Derby?

This is us (or the automotive part): http://www.horiba.com/uk/automotive-test-systems/

We manufacture the test systems for engines rather than the engines themselves (not for bikes though unfortunately). Not as exciting as formula 1 though and we may not be big enough for student placements

or these guys are local to us:

http://www.lolacars.com/

been into liquidation one or twice though and a very small company - some seriously cool cars though

Ok so, an update!

I have rung Zytek and they were lovely! :mrgreen: Have an email address for a HR lass so will follow that one up.

Red Bull are reviewing my CV, likewise with ProDrive, Triumph and Mclaren but have been given another contact for McLaren as well.

I have applied for Ducati but the majority of the application form was in Italian so! :shock: That one could be interesting!

GKN arn't really sure how their phone systems works and their main receptionist is GRUMPY! :o

Any more sugestions would be welcome! Some of the ones above were awesome and have led me to trying companies I hadnt thought of..

And on that note, Onto Lola Cars!

:seeya:

Hey Jin

Are you at Birmingham University? I noticed your location! I'm working for Cummins in Daventry this year, their 'high horse power' (20 litres and over) engines. They have lots of people who do automotive even though it's not directly to do with cars or bikes. I don't know when you applied but I know they haven't sorted all their places out yet so don't give up hope!

I will try and dig out my cover letter and send you a copy, think its on my 'rents computer.

• 2 weeks later...

quick tip - check your security on social networking sites.. doesn't sound like much, but one of the grads at our company almost didn't get a job as the interviewer was easily able to access some slightly dodgey photo's on facebook!

Not sure if these companies are any good to you Aston Martin (http://www.astonmartin.com), Ariel (http://www.arielmotor.co.uk), Noble (http://www.noblecars.com), Rolls Royce (These take on lots of people!), Bentley, British Aerospace (BAE), Bombardier and not forgetting Leyland Trucks.

Thank you!

Will get onto this, this afternoon..

Little update, I have a meeting with Nissan next wednesday :D

Mum came to brum yday and took me into town for a smart jacket and shoes!

So from Birmingham to Sunderland and back next week.. Wish me luck! :mrgreen:

Little update, I have a meeting with Nissan next wednesday :D

Mum came to brum yday and took me into town for a smart jacket and shoes!

So from Birmingham to Sunderland and back next week.. Wish me luck! :mrgreen:

Lol, I'm having such a mentally taxing day at work I read that as "straight jacket and shoes"!

Good luck by the way

• 3 months later...

Wow..

Ok so I don't think I ever could have guess that it would turn this way!

So I went for the Nissan place, Denied, went to an interview with Triumph and got down to it being between me and one other, where I wasn't chosen. That was kind of it for me, I decided that I wanted to do motorbikes, so I was going to go back to Uni and finish my last year then go back to Triumph after and apply for more jobs with them.

Then Westfield sports cars start working with my Uni as I'm in there most days helping with the Formula student car I got to meet the MD who I asked for a part time job and was told to come in for a trial day or two.

So after the second trial day I'm offered a job with them in whatever division I want, they'll train me!

That was yesterday evening.

This morning I wake up and I had been emailing the guy from Triumph I'd had my interview with about his advice on dissertations and if Triumph would be willing to sponsor me in a way.

So having an email of him wasn't too odd, but this one was saying that he had asked his higher ups for permission to create a placement position just for me.

Wut..

So I'm slightly stunned here and I would really love your opinions on all of this...

I don't have net yet in my new flat so I'm sort of posting when my phone is lending internet to the Ipad..

Thank you all so much for your help over the years, It's why i've come here for advice.

Gin x